Sign in to follow this  
sseagle

A commercial(?) mod?

I was browsing the Radishville forums and saw that the "Homeland Security Mod" is being released (retail) in Europe. http://www.homelandsecuritymod.com

My question is: Is this legal? I thought user-created mods were required to be free under the EULA. Does BIS know about this, or does it not have any power in Europe (Which I would think that they would have thought of.)

sseagle

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does BIS know about this, or does it not have any power in Europe (Which I would think that they would have thought of.)<span id='postcolor'>Well both BIS and Codemasters are from Europe... I belive that whit a special permission (agreement) From BIS you maybe allowed to charge for the mod. I dont know if this mod has that permission or not. By the way this brings me bad memories: *cought* "Between the lines" *cought*

WOW!! This mod rocks wink.gif

No screen shots.. no info about the game..

Pretty much as the mod I have not even planned to do.

All I can say it that it also drastically changes the game.

Still, I want to know if BIS even knows about this. Wouldn't they want some restitution for their investment (eg. the engine, scripting commands, vehicles, etc)? Not to mention all the measures that they have employed to keep counterfiet copies from becoming way too out of hand.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Llauma @ Jan. 23 2003,09:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WOW!! This mod rocks  wink.gif

No screen shots.. no info about the game..<span id='postcolor'>

Well, it's about as robust as ............. er ................ homeland security. sad.gif

tounge.gifwow.giftounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sseagle @ Jan. 23 2003,09:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Still, I want to know if BIS even knows about this.  Wouldn't they want some restitution for their investment (eg. the engine, scripting commands, vehicles, etc)?  Not to mention all the measures that they have employed to keep counterfiet copies from becoming way too out of hand.<span id='postcolor'>

Fact of the matter is that XMP marketed their OFP packages only in Europe.

When they started with their commercial campaign, Between The Lines, there was a lot of fuss about this on the forums but the bottom line seemed to be that Codemasters either didn't object or legally couldn't - at least in the EU.

I don't know whether XMP had a legal or a business logistic problem marketing their packages in the US.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Jan. 23 2003,08:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sseagle @ Jan. 23 2003,09:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Still, I want to know if BIS even knows about this.  Wouldn't they want some restitution for their investment (eg. the engine, scripting commands, vehicles, etc)?  Not to mention all the measures that they have employed to keep counterfiet copies from becoming way too out of hand.<span id='postcolor'>

When they started with their commercial campaign, Between The Lines, there was a lot of fuss about this on the forums but the bottom line seemed to be that Codemasters either didn't object or legally couldn't - at least in the EU.

I don't know whether XMP had a legal or a business logistic problem marketing their packages in the US.<span id='postcolor'>

I should release my mod for sale in europe.

I have switched the units and weapons so east is west and west is east.

Then I changed the name so east is still called east and everything's as usual.

The best part is that the mod is only 15kb(just a readme file)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Which reminds me, whatever did happen to Planet of War<span id='postcolor'> Well i saw it in a store but i didnt bother to buy it after the experience of previous XMP products... I think they have a Demo so try it if you are interested smile.gif

I think both Between the lines and Planet of War went to court with either BIS or Codemasters.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Llauma @ Jan. 23 2003,08:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Jan. 23 2003,08:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sseagle @ Jan. 23 2003,09:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Still, I want to know if BIS even knows about this.  Wouldn't they want some restitution for their investment (eg. the engine, scripting commands, vehicles, etc)?  Not to mention all the measures that they have employed to keep counterfiet copies from becoming way too out of hand.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know whether XMP had a legal or a business logistic problem marketing their packages in the US.<span id='postcolor'>

The best part is that the mod is only 15kb(just a readme file)<span id='postcolor'>

15k......c'mon...make it smaller. I only have a 56k modem tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Soul_Assassin @ Jan. 23 2003,18:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think both Between the lines and Planet of War went to court with either BIS or Codemasters.<span id='postcolor'>

dont think so, What Behind enemy lines made was a campaign i think its legal to sell it, Planet of war made scripts i believe

but when you create new tanks, helos planes etc with Oxygen o2, you might get in trouble with BIS & codemasters.

Read the contract of O2 and you will know it for sure. when starting o2 for the first time you get the popup for "I agree" thats the contract

I think it is absolutly illigalto sell any campaing, addon or script which works under OFP 'cos it is connected with OFP. And Behind the Lines used Gunslinger's Editor Addon and they also sold it...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([CCCP]Stalker @ Mar. 03 2003,18:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think it is absolutly illigalto sell any campaing, addon or script which works under OFP 'cos it is connected with OFP. And Behind the Lines used Gunslinger's Editor Addon and they also sold it...<span id='postcolor'>

They reached a contractual agreement with Gunslinger, to the best of my recollection.

I don't see anything wrong with a commercial product, if it's legal. To the best of my recollection, XMPs BTL campaign was legal at the time, at least in Europe.

License changes may have affected new products being legal, however, if Codemasters plugged up a loophole.

Really, you need lawyers here to discuss this. crazy.gif

Besides it might being illiegal but is it fun to play??? Can you post pics of the soldeirs and vechials?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Koolkid101 @ Mar. 03 2003,20:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Besides it might being illiegal but is it fun to play??? Can you post pics of the soldeirs and vechials?<span id='postcolor'>

i think there arent any new models in it... only some retextured BIS models, 1.generation addons... but as far as i know, xmp didnt even make them... they took them from some of our community-addonmakers i think... dont know if with permission or not....

Somemone plz e-mail them if they got permison from the addon makers to use them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Llauma @ Jan. 23 2003,08:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Jan. 23 2003,08:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sseagle @ Jan. 23 2003,09:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Still, I want to know if BIS even knows about this.  Wouldn't they want some restitution for their investment (eg. the engine, scripting commands, vehicles, etc)?  Not to mention all the measures that they have employed to keep counterfiet copies from becoming way too out of hand.<span id='postcolor'>

The best part is that the mod is only 15kb(just a readme file)<span id='postcolor'>

lolol, can I be ur manager, I have great plans for the future of ur company..... tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 03 2003,16:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Really, you need lawyers here to discuss this. crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Lawyers are too busy with our forum rules wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Mar. 04 2003,14:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 03 2003,16:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Really, you need lawyers here to discuss this. crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Lawyers are too busy with our forum rules wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

You're still here? I've hit all the mods with subpoenas and interim cease and desist orders! tounge.gif