AmericanWaffle

Tell me why the shots aren't in the crosshairs

I've played Arma 3 for 4 years and I'm just so sick of it. Someone please explain why the shots aren't in the crosshairs in the following gyazos (Is it server sided? Is it my internet which is 250mbps across the bored? Is it my 50 ping? What is it? I have adapted crosshair disabled so that the crosshair is supposedly matched with the barrel of my gun): 

https://gyazo.com/0d58ccf2b78ac6cba798ab6583fdc783 

https://gyazo.com/8b41fd521200c8b25ba068b55bfe802a

https://gyazo.com/4b0e16fa20e0cc8b277feae00603eaae 

Because you're using third person.

Because of weapon dispersion/recoil.

Is this a trick question?

13 hours ago, Jackal326 said:

Because you're using third person.

Because of weapon dispersion/recoil.

Is this a trick question?

That doesn't mean that shots should shoot outside of where the game says the barrel is pointed. Because that's what it is when adaptive crosshair is off.  

To be honest, this was covered off pretty well in your other post. But I guess it got removed, which is unfortunate. Not sure why it was removed though, I guess things took a turn for the worse.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AmericanWaffle said:

That doesn't mean that shots should shoot outside of where the game says the barrel is pointed. Because that's what it is when adaptive crosshair is off.  

The crosshair is not an accurate representation of where your shots will fall. It is a situational awareness cue meant to compensate for the lack of one's natural sense of their body. That is to say, when you are holding a rifle IRL, you have a clear sense of where the barrel is and where it is pointing. In a 2D game, you do not. If you allow the crosshair to "settle" before firing, it becomes more accurate. If you wait long enough, it becomes very accurate. Prairie-dogging, as you are doing in your video, ensures that it will always be at its least accurate.

As Arma is not a hitscan game, an "accurate" crosshair would still be largely useless, as it would not account for bullet drop. Since it is just a cue, one must also consider deviation and the inherent inaccuracy of firing from the ready position.

TL;DR - if you want to hit something, aim at it.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, AmericanWaffle said:

Yes it does because ...

5 hours ago, Harzach said:

The crosshair is not an accurate representation of where your shots will fall. It is a situational awareness cue meant to compensate for the lack of one's natural sense of their body. That is to say, when you are holding a rifle IRL, you have a clear sense of where the barrel is and where it is pointing. In a 2D game, you do not. If you allow the crosshair to "settle" before firing, it becomes more accurate. If you wait long enough, it become very accurate. Prairie-dogging, as you are doing in your video, ensures that it will always be at its least accurate.

As Arma is not a hitscan game, an "accurate" crosshair would still be largely useless, as it would not account for bullet drop. Since it is just a cue, one must also consider deviation and the inherent inaccuracy of firing from the ready position.

TL;DR - if you want to hit something, aim at it.

• Like 2

When you hip-fire in Arma 3 there is extra bullet dispersion added (I guess?)

Late reply to an already ended discussion, i would like to add some valuable points to this, and hoping it will help

open the eyes of would be players and regular members alike to this aspect of the game who somehow are lost as to how

they are not hitting their targets, or at least not accurate with every shot, this will get more in depth as i go.

If you wanted to be accurate with a certain weapon (nonscoped & scoped) imo then learn to play first person, lose the crosshairs and shoot from ironsights, and or

sight attachment, as well as learning to adjust your range at the same time.

This really isn't anything new to us veterans depending on how you play, and the tactics you use but to "simulate" imo the best representation of how you would

shoot in IRL in the game to me would be the way to do it, a third person view with cross hairs is nothing but a arcade/gamey approach to playing, it has its own

tactics and function that first person wont necessarily have definitely the loss of situational awareness.

Accuracy and putting the bullet on target where you think your aiming is something you need to practice it may not seem very hard but if you take a

assault rifle for example and your about 100-150 meters from a target, and your sights are zeroed at 300-400m there is a very good chance your going to miss unless

you zero down (if you can), or lower the nose of your gun below the imaginary target that the bullet would land at.

Theres a number of things to take into consideration when shooting, range being the biggest factor, but if you take distance out of the equation then your

left with fatigue and stamina loss so your gun if your in that situation is swaying, and theres a good chance the recoil of the gun depending on whats being used

will throw the sights or the accuracy off too.

Its important to learn to gauge your movement with your gun, speed, distance from target, how exposed the target is (behind cover and partially exposed) making

the target smaller and harder to hit forcing you to check your stamina, sway, and weapon stability.

Other factors come into play from this that you need to question and consider

When i come apon a target (enemy soldier under cover but still exposed a bit)

• The gun i am using - in what context (situation) is the ideal application for this weapon, take distance aka range into account.

Example - a pistol is ideal for close range because of the limit of its range, its stopping power is weaker the further the target. (50-100)

- submachine gun is ideal for close to the short end of medium range (300-400m max)

- assault rifle is ideal for close, to medium range assault rifle, to longer ranges (100-500m)

- sniper rifle is idea for medium but really a long range weapon (300-1000m+)

Other factors such as:

• Caliber of bullet vs an enemy with plated vest, vs distance, vs exposure.
  • Depending on the weapon, do i shoot one bullet at a time, or do i have semi, burst, and or automatic capabilities and when do i apply such modes, whats ideal, whats overkill, whats not enough or to little?
  • Did i just come off a sprint, a jog, a walk.
  • How much gear am i carrying, do i need to stop before i engage and recover, has the enemy seen me and is there time to recover and am i under immediate threat?
  • How much cover do i have and where is the nearest cover, what is there to get behind that is cover?   <----This plays into the factor of movement as well as your ability to acquire a target under immediate threat.
  • Do i need to stabilize my weapon before i decide to shoot, depending on the weapon itself in what context is it being used, based on range would it have a bipod for a sniper rifle or can one stabilize on a wall?
  • Is it a machine gun? Can i hip fire if the range is 100-200m and still hit the target or am i wasting 50bullets for one to land?
  • Does the mg have a bipod i can use, where is it best to setup if the enemy is so far away, is it best to deploy for only one soldier, or are there more coming?
  • What is the building situation where i am at, where the enemy is at, is it narrow, is it wide, if i shoot can they flank me, do they have cover, if i shoot, how much within my killzone and or arc will i be able to cover (shoot)?
  • when i do shoot ho much time do i have to acquire a target at 75m, at 100m, at 150, 200m or more before im at risk of being shot myself? 

Again range plays a factor depending on the weapon your using, a deployed mgman ideal range is 150m+ imo anything less then that,

then the terrain and building setup if any determines your approach.

It seems one could over analyze the possible situation in what one should do when, and with what they have, but experience and regular practice will teach

you what works and what wont, AI difficulty plays a factor in all this too.

Playing in first person only and using iron sights/attachments/scopes depending on your weapon forces you to learn and adapt new things, new tactics of

approaching a situation because of certain limits and or disadvantages.

Your ability to spot, acquire and recognize an enemy, enemy threat level depending on weapon being used and or number of enemy, adds in other points too such as

distance and timing, overall your response time, response time in relation to a movement, a tactical movement such as leaning and shooting, ducking and shooting, rolling, sidestepping,

using certain aspects of your cover to peak. An example as a sniper and using a small whole in a wall that gives you a long open view of an area,

concealing and providing great cover for your position, depending on the material your behind, adding in if you can be heard too all these little points create certain tactics

that can be employed based on what your using and the situation.

Try playing in first person, learn how to look, pay attention too, use the tools, and situation, let the results be your guide as to how you should approach

if something dont work, your either doing it wrong, or it didn't work in that situation, learn from it, remember.

This is a thinking man's game apply yourself accordingly. Cheers!