_variable = _group createUnit ["B_recon_JTAC_F", _position, [], 0, "NONE"];
// _variable = 1;

_trigger = createTrigger ["EmptyDetector", [0,0,0], false];

_trigger setTriggerStatements ["this", format ["[%1] spawn _script;", _variable], ""];

Hi, if _variable is an object I get an error message for this code (when setting trigger statements, not when activating the trigger) telling me there is a ] missing. If _variable is a not an object (a number f.e.) everything works fine. What is the matter with this weird behaviour?

Not sure these are the issue, but:

_script is undefined in the expression.

Spawn uses function, not script.  execVM uses script.

Trigger activation must return nothing, and spawn or execVM returns a handle, so might try "nul = [%1] spawn function;" or "nul = [%1] execVM 'folder\script';".

Also might try formatting the statement first, then set triggerStatement:

_expression = format ["nul = [%1] spawn function;", _variable];

_trigger setTriggerStatements ["this", _expression, ""];

• Like 1

Objects do not format to string as a usable reference ( unless they have a vehicleVarName ).

Instead use BIS_fnc_objectVar or BIS_fnc_netID or save a reference on the trigger using setVariable.

_trigger setTriggerStatements ["this", format ["[%1] spawn _script;", _variable call BIS_fnc_objectVar], ""];

Or

_trigger setTriggerStatements ["this", format ["[ '%1' call BIS_fnc_objectFromNetID ] spawn _script;", _variable call BIS_fnc_netID], ""];

Or

_trigger setVariable[ "var", _variable ];
_trigger setTriggerStatements ["this", "[ thisTrigger getVariable 'var' ] spawn _script;", ""];

And as @opusfmspol points out _script is undefined within the scope of the triggers activation.

• Like 1

Spawn uses function, not script.  execVM uses script.

I use "compile preprocessFile" before "spawn". I read it is the same as "execVM". But thanks for the clue - gonna look over this fact.

Trigger activation must return nothing, and spawn or execVM returns a handle, so might try "nul = [%1] spawn function;" or "nul = [%1] execVM 'folder\script';".

This error would happen even when _variable is not an object but I'll keep that in mind. 

Also might try formatting the statement first, then set triggerStatement:

_expression = format ["nul = [%1] spawn function;", _variable];

_trigger setTriggerStatements ["this", _expression, ""];

I actually do that to keep the code clean and tidy but obviously the error stays the same.

_script is undefined within the scope of the triggers activation.

This can't be the case of course, due to the fact that _script runs if _variable is not an object. If _script would be unknown to the scope, it wouldn't run at all.

Objects do not format to string as a usable reference ( unless they have a vehicleVarName ).

Instead use BIS_fnc_objectVar or BIS_fnc_netID or save a reference on the trigger using setVariable.

That's an explanation for this weird behaviour. And I bet that's my problem. I am gonna test it later today and keep you upt to date.

Thanks guys.

2 hours ago, -Varan said:

_script is undefined within the scope of the triggers activation.

This can't be the case of course, due to the fact that _script runs if _variable is not an object. If _script would be unknown to the scope, it wouldn't run at all.

It does not run, but fails silently. eg

_variable = 1;
_script = { hint str _this };
_trigger setTriggerStatements ["true", format ["[%1] spawn _script;", _variable], ""];

Run from a test mission from the debugConsole. You will see no hint as _script is undefined in the triggers activation scope.

Replace _script within the triggers activation with the actual code OR make _script a global variable and you will see the hint.

_variable = 1;
TAG_script = { hint str _this };
_trigger setTriggerStatements ["true", format ["[%1] spawn TAG_script;", _variable], ""];

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Larrow said:

It does not run, but fails silently. eg

_variable = 1;
_script = { hint str _this };
_trigger setTriggerStatements ["true", format ["[%1] spawn _script;", _variable], ""];

Run from a test mission from the debugConsole. You will see no hint as _script is undefined in the triggers activation scope.

Replace _script within the triggers activation with the actual code OR make _script a global variable and you will see the hint.

_variable = 1;
TAG_script = { hint str _this };
_trigger setTriggerStatements ["true", format ["[%1] spawn TAG_script;", _variable], ""];

No - Like I said: The trigger works and runs _script without an error if I pass a variable which is not an object. It's only the type of variable passing into _script causing the error message about missing a ].

This was the problem.

Thanks

2 hours ago, -Varan said:

The trigger works and runs _script without an error

I guess the obvious question now is - what is _script?

Something simple like this works:

_script = hint "IT WORKS";
_trigger setTriggerStatements ["true", "[] spawn _script;", ""];

but this does not:

_script = hint str _this;
_variable = 1;
_trigger setTriggerStatements ["this", format ["[%1] spawn _script;", _variable], ""];

//returns "[]"

and this, as @Larrow explains, does nothing:

_script = {hint str _this};
_variable = 1;

2 hours ago, Harzach said:

Something simple like this works:

The trigger still does nothing. You are creating a hint in the first line that you will see when that first line is executed, which returns nothing so _script will be nil. The trigger still fails silently as [ ] spawn nil; is nonsense.

• Like 1

Ah yes, of course. Thanks! Which might be why OP's trigger "works" - _script is just a code block that is being executed before the trigger is created.

6 hours ago, -Varan said:

No - Like I said: The trigger works and runs _script without an error

Impossible unless you are defining _script within the triggers statement ( which you have not shown ). But if your happy no worries.

I didn't post _script to provide a minimal example and because _trigger gets executed without problems if the parameter is not an object but a number or anything simple it is not important for a minimal example. For testing purposes _script took a variable and put it in a hint. It was defined by _script = compile preprocessFile "script.sqf"  right before creating the trigger to [_variable] spawn _script. _variable = 3 worked, _variable = createVehicle [...] didn't.

But [_variable call BIS_fnc_objectVar] spawn _script works with _variable = createVehicle [...].

I tried to solve the problem on my own for a couple of hours before posting, so I figured already out where exactly the problem occours so I don't have to post my whole script which was 99% fine. Nobody wants to work through a whole script just to find a single object to string parameter problem like mine above 🙂