Xe-Cute

BI Licensing limits revenue and full potential

IMHO the T&Cs "You may not use this material for any commercial purposes" limit modders and sales. This is because no revenue can be gained from using a game like Arma as a customizable gaming platform similar to other game engines. I bought Arma 2 then Arma 3 originally to play the DayZ mod and discovered how much can be modded, scripted and what is possible with the engine. DayZ on Arma was light-years ahead of stand-alone DayZ is now, which still contains no roaming zombie hordes, built-in traders/NPCs or heli crashes . The Exile mod is/was also a great competitor for SCUM. Countless other mods exist but are eventually dropped by their developers who possibly grow tired of developing (for nothing other their own enjoyment).

If micro-economies were possible, like purchasable mods and enabling charging of fees to play on a server, modded not, using BI tools or not, in my opinion, would boost sales of games like Arma . This would encourage modders to create even better content (good models, textures, animations, etc costs money)  - and modders would probably stick with it or sell their rights when they grow tired of doing it. It could create fantastic new games that make use of other base games - like Arma, resulting in more sales and longer life of the base game.

and all these assumptions are based on your long term, first hand, modding experience ?

• Like 2

Don't worry about it I archived my Arma scripts. I can use Unreal, Unity and Android Studio for free and sell anything I code, after using their own free tools.  I can set up servers and charge admission.  Thanks BI I had a great time. TTFN

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 6:10 PM, Xe-Cute said:

Don't worry about it I archived my Arma scripts. I can use Unreal, Unity and Android Studio for free and sell anything I code, after using their own free tools.  I can set up servers and charge admission.  Thanks BI I had a great time. TTFN

I'm sure you'll be sorely missed.

BIS is reliant on randoms renting servers and running them for public benefit by kind admins or making mods and missions for free, aside from the one contest that awarded money.  Otherwise you are only buying solo game with a campaign.

1 hour ago, Sertica said:

BIS is reliant on randoms renting servers and running them for public benefit by kind admins or making mods and missions for free, aside from the one contest that awarded money.  Otherwise you are only buying solo game with a campaign.

You've basically just described every single game, like, ever after 7 years of continued support (through patches, anti-cheat updates and DLCs/expansions).