DarthRogness

Done with the game till next season

The game is an absolute sweat fest now, use to be able to run around loot, kill if needed. Now its Sweaty Fortnite/PUBG players wrecking it. Depending on what happens next season will most likely not play anymore. 

• Like 1

I feel you my friend. But unique concepts don't necessarily make money. Shame BI couldn't keep the faith in their creation.

• Thanks 1

To be fair @Oldninja it may have been part of their grand plan...

You are correct, unique concepts don't necessarily make money, I'm guessing the revenue stream just wasn't big enough from crowns and outlander packs and the original concepts got pushed aside to chase the cash.

You're right. Maybe that's why the roadmap was never published!

I feel like the game has always been intense or "sweaty." What has changed that makes you feel like the game has changed?

Hi Iron,

We seem to be exchanging friendly comments on a few topics today.

I hate repeating myself but I will, so please be patient.

The original premise back in 2018 was solo survival leading to development of your shelter through looting for resources.

Not much change then I hear you say. But...

You dropped onto the map of the week not knowing how many other outlanders were on it, and you decided if you wanted the drop, which was a fixed location, or you avoided it to loot as you took the chance that other players would move towards the drop area. If someone took the drop quickly, the slower radiation gave you a further 8 minutes to move ahead of it looting before leaving at the opposite end to whence it came. You could engage if you wished or focus on looting to upgrade if you wished.

Needless to say other games that offered more action were more popular. Hence the transition of Vigor by embracing a similar philosophy as the more popular survival/battle Royale formats.

The updates of the last 18 months have consistently eroded an outlanders ability to avoid engagement and lower loot levels have accentuated it. Shorter game time, the signal generator, personal signal generator etc have all been added to encourage more engagement. 

I know BI need to get a return for what is now a free to play offering (it cost me 16.99), but the older players who wanted to play a little more tactically and have a clearer choice of engage or not feel a little frustrated at the path the game has taken.

I really do hope you enjoy it, as many older and certainty newer players do. My eldest grandson certainly enjoys telling me from lockdown how many kills he had today and what weapons he looted.

I will still play but maybe not as much or as often as I once did.

• Thanks 1

I desperately agree with you Oldninja.
I fell pretty much awkward when you talked about your grandson playing vigor.
Now, I can talk about my pupils. I'm a teacher in a French elementary school, with pupils from 7 to 10 years old.
Three of them plays vigor, instead of playing Call of Duty.
And when I asked them (what a nasty teacher 😄 ) what was enjoying for them in this game : "rapid kill battles", "I'm a killer", "free game".

Fact is, that by being a free game, vigor as looted every miser on the xbox live.
- People who have no money for other games, and that wants to enjoy an exact battle royal (but for free).
- People banned from other games, for glitching etc...
- Kids, that wouldn't be allowed by their parents to buy violent games, who can enjoy vigor for free.

And, according to the planetary lockdown, a few new angry players came in to play an action game. Knowing nothing about the possibility to play peaceful.

When I started, the tutorial talked about "Say hello to the outlanders". I ALWAYS received the same message ==> Plumb in the head.

5 hours ago, Oldninja said:

Shorter game time, the signal generator, personal signal generator etc have all been added to encourage more engagement. 

I know BI need to get a return for what is now a free to play offering (it cost me 16.99), but the older players who wanted to play a little more tactically and have a clearer choice of engage or not feel a little frustrated at the path the game has taken.

I really do hope you enjoy it, as many older and certainty newer players do.

I see. I didn't know The Signals Detector was a post-launch addition. Was the pre-game lobby (showing number of initial players and their loadouts) a post launch addition as well? Anyway, I can respect feeling bummed at a favorite game changing on you. If the drive for the direction of changes is in fact to keep them game afloat/pay developers to be able to keep supporting it (it being a free game, at the end of the day), then perhaps it's a necessary evil to keep the game going? At least it still is notably different in whole than others like Apex Legends or the like, right? I mean, at the end of the day, it still provides a unique "battle royal-esque" experience, mostly similar to how it was at inception? 

I think the most pressing issue they need to address is general mechanics/bugs, as I think those types of issues are what hurt/kill games in the long run, regardless of genre. Specifically, things like gunfights feeling sometimes more random than skillful (both in and against one's favor), and the imperfect "transitioning" between 3rd and 1st person not lining up, like when you're trying to shoot back at someone from right next to cover, etc. At least theoretically, things like game-length, radiation speed/damage, etc. can be changed quickly and easily, while the issues I think should take priority are a more intrinsic and ingrained problem, needing more time and therefore attention. 

But anyway, best of luck to ya.