chrisbaker1981

Weather Not Syncing In Multiplayer

Hi 

Im sure this has been asked before, but why does the weather not sync in multiplayer?

Some of my missions are designed around specific weather conditions for atmosphere and style of play. 

The server sees the weather exactly how i set it up in eden, however the client  sees something else.

The time of day is correct, but the fog and lightning rain etc is never the same as the server (how its been created in eden)

Why is this? Surely the weather values are simply locked by eden? if not then whats the point of having the option in eden?

IF you play single player of course it works, in my mind its not even a case of syncing to the server, its a case of the client not having the correct info from the mission.

This makes no sense to me! IF the client and server have downloaded the mission then they should both have the same weather parameters that have been set up in eden, same as all the other info in the mission, triggers units etc.

Anyone got a solution to this? Hope theres a button that i didnt see in the editor 🙂

Weather syncs for me on my server and mission. Sometimes it takes a few seconds, but rarely more than 10.

You might be missing something, I'll check over my mission files later.

Thanks tankbuster

Ive been checking through the setting in my scenario and cant find anything on it..

Neither of us are using any mods that affect weather, i dont think, but will check through that as well...

I know ACE for instance has a weather option that can mess with the set weather...

In my experience, weather is roughly synchronized; it can rain for some, while it isn't for others, regardless of overcast settings for example. I've noticed on a lot of public servers that set 0 overcast that it can still rain, despite a clear blue sky.

While weather isn't perfect, I noticed better results with basic scripted weather, meaning I'll set all weather parameters in the editor to 0 (Wind strength, gusts, direction, waves, lightning, etc.) and have my initServer.sqf handle the initial weather code. It's super basic script commands, nothing crazy, but people I've tested it with even in JIP on a dedicated server confirmed being able to see the same cloud formations and stuff, so I just stick with it now. But, for brief periods on rare occasion, it'll rain on and off while not for others, or they'll get it too but at different times.

I use @code34s weather script. I may or may not have modified it, not sure. My experience is pretty much was phronk describes here too. Having it lash down with rain with a clear blue sky does happen and it seems odd. And I live in the south of England so I'm used to strange, rain based, weather japery.

• Haha 2

Thanks Guys will try it out, my problem with my mission is there was supposed to be just the right amount of fog, server perfect, client allmost 100% couldnt see more than 2m

Will have alook at some of those scripts thanks

5 hours ago, chrisbaker1981 said:

Thanks Guys will try it out, my problem with my mission is there was supposed to be just the right amount of fog, server perfect, client allmost 100% couldnt see more than 2m

Will have alook at some of those scripts thanks

Fog is a little bit broken in Eden for Multiplayer. I think it breaks when you change fog base levels over time. it does however work flawlessly with script commands.

I'd advise you to set fog to 0 in Eden, then put fogparams in initserver.sqf or fire them with triggers (but make them "server only" otherwise JIP clients may make things messy, i guess).

Another benefit of using script comamnds for weather is, that you can easily have multiple weather changes. Just remember to script weather on server-side only and that there can only be one scripted weather change at a time, that means that a current weatehr change will not complete, if another command get called before it completes. This is not a problem, but something to remember if you want maximum control over the weather in your mission.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setFog

Great thanks this makes sense about the base change, going to try the scripts when i hasn't more time, thanks everyone

SO just simply keeping the forecast precisely the same as the current weather solves this issue, which is fine, so far i havent had a need for weather forecast being different.

Thanks Again