Sign in to follow this  
Cloney

Marines: m-16a4 or the m4 carbine

I personally think the A4 is the better choice. The "experts" say that war is moving into the cities but with the right training you can use a full size M16 in CQB.

I also wouldn't want an M4 in a firefight with enemy infantry thats 400m away in a bunker.

Some Info:

Marines pick M16A4 as Infantry Rifle

Marines might replace M16A2 with M4

There is no substitute for the collapsible 4-position (and now 6-position) stock in CQB work. If you'd ever had a chance to clear rooms in Real Life, you would appreciate the difference.

Infantry has no business engaging enemy forces in bunkers that are 400 meters away, regardless of whether it is a M16A4 or M4.

Hmm, reminds me of an article I read somewhere on the net. I'll post a link soon when the site is available again. But I'd say go fifty fifty (if that's possible), you could use m4's for urban area's and m16's for something like afghanistan.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Infantry has no business engaging enemy forces in bunkers that are 400 meters away, regardless of whether it is a M16A4 or M4.<span id='postcolor'>

How about just enemy infantry at that range?

edit:

ah, here it is. Quite long but it's also about rifles.

edit2:

removed link, page contained a link to something bad

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mr. Duck @ Jan. 20 2003,17:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Infantry has no business engaging enemy forces in bunkers that are 400 meters away, regardless of whether it is a M16A4 or M4.<span id='postcolor'>

How about just enemy infantry at that range?<span id='postcolor'>

You can hit a soldier at 400 meters with either rifle, but the M16A4 would pack more punch due to the longer barrel. But the SS109/M855 will still not be effective at that distance from either barrel because it won't fragment at velocities below about 2200fps. Also, if the targets have body armor, it would stop the SS109/M855 at that distance.

IF you read the article, the marines picked the m16a4 over the m4 because a4 had less malfunctions then the m4.  That ive heard that the m4 doesnt have much stopping power because of the short barrel.

Carbines aren't meant for long-range work. Within the limitations of the barrel length and resulting bullet velocities, the M4 can make the SS109/M855 fragment, which is what makes the bullet effective against personnel.

On a separate note, I voted for the M4, but my vote doesn't show up. Yet I can't vote again. Strange... sad.gif

i say they m4

m4 is lighter and shorter and will not loose much effectiveness in ranges under 500m

and in most firefights between infantry men they are closer than 500m

m4a1kit.gif

Here is a standard M4 kit.^

M16a4.gif

Here is a m16a4 with some optional accesories.

Kev

There is a (credible) rumor floating around that the A4 was selected because the M4 can't be used for close-order drill.  Not sure why an M4 would have higher malfunction rates than the A4 when the internal mechanisms are the same.  Then again, "armorer" is not on my list of MOS's.

It should also be noted that the USMC units tasked w/ CQB missions are already equipped with the M4.

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Jan. 21 2003,05:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There is a (credible) rumor floating around that the A4 was selected because the M4 can't be used for close-order drill.<span id='postcolor'>

lol tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron Kane @ Jan. 20 2003,18:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Aww Mister Fragg... I'll sacrifice my vote for you smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Taking one for the team -- I like that! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I havent even seen the m16a3, let alone the a4.

<span id='postcolor'>

Both the A3 and the A4 are like the A2, but the A3 and A4 have flat-top recievers to allow for the easier mounting of optics. The A3 and the A4 are identical with the exception that the A4 fires full-auto and the A3 sticks with the 3 round burst mode of the A2.

Got it? wink.gif

There are probably a few reasons why the Marines would go for the A4 over the M4. For one, their basic shooting tests go out to 500m. An M4 would be a horrible performer at that range. The A4 would be a little better for the most part.

Leave the M4 in the hands of armoured crew, supply types, and people fighting in close quarters. I don't find the M-16 type weapon to be too long at all, even when things get close.

Tyler

That's a night-vision scope, a new version of the old Starlight scope. And you misspelled 'Qaeda' in your sig.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Jan. 21 2003,07:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I havent even seen the m16a3, let alone the a4.

<span id='postcolor'>

Both the A3 and the A4 are like the A2, but the A3 and A4 have flat-top recievers to allow for the easier mounting of optics. The A3 and the A4 are identical with the exception that the A4 fires full-auto and the A3 sticks with the 3 round burst mode of the A2.

Got it?   wink.gif

There are probably a few reasons why the Marines would go for the A4 over the M4. For one, their basic shooting tests go out to 500m. An M4 would be a horrible performer at that range. The A4 would be a little better for the most part.

Leave the M4 in the hands of armoured crew, supply types, and people fighting in close quarters. I don't find the M-16 type weapon to be too long at all, even when things get close.

Tyler<span id='postcolor'>

*Buzzer*

a3 is full auto and a4 is 3rd burst

I am absolutely positive

Are you positive?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Shooters earn points for each target they successfully hit with their standard-issue M-16A4 rifle. The rifles are modified with a flat-top upper receiver and an added scope to bring long-range targets into view. It’s also fully automatic, unlike its A3 counterpart that has a three-round-burst capability.<span id='postcolor'>

Taken from: A news article from a U.S. military website.

Good sites on the M-16 series are hard to find. Some say that the A3 is full-auto, not the A4, and so on. So I chose to go with a U.S. military website.

Tyler

Well we use a Susat (well I don't anymore as I'm Artillery) at 300m and that is about as far as I expect anyone would engage. 500m with an iron sight? That would be a waste of ammunition, aside from giving youself away without laying effective fire down.

I can't see why an M4 would be unsuitable, unless it really is a reliability issue. However I am not an expert on either weapon.

Wouldn`t the FAL be better at long range and lol dont break the susat sight or u`ll become radioactive man tounge.gif

My idea for the new replacement would be to have something like a browing 50 cal machine gun mounted on a gyroscope balanced arm that attaches the gun on an arm to a harnass u wear like some camera crews have or if i was feeling a little crrazy replace the browingg with a small field cannon.

Aiming is done via laser sight and optics attached to the gun fed to a hud on the soldiers helmet. biggrin.gifcrazy.gif

like this minus the blast shield and cart.

164_full.jpg

or this minus the tripod

50calmg.gif

now there wouldn`t be any need to let things like 3 foot concrete walls get in the way of shooting someone biggrin.gif

Im leaning towards the m16 in the poll but im not voting just yet.Does the m16a4 come in a collapsable stock version?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ Jan. 22 2003,05:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">500m with an iron sight? That would be a waste of ammunition, aside from giving youself away without laying effective fire down.<span id='postcolor'>

I would like to reassure any terrorists out there that you are indeed safe from Marines with M16's 500 meters away.  Please feel free to approach us at your leisure.

Heh.

Semper Fi

I was about to say, don't Marines have to qualify at 500m with their M16s? Again, if any terrorist scumbag wants to even start a fight with the Marines, god help them!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was about to say, don't Marines have to qualify at 500m with their M16s? <span id='postcolor'>

Read one of my earlier posts in this thread.

Sheesh, alot of people in this forum have bad memory. wink.gif

About heavier bullets: Short of using heavier metals, there is no way you can make the current 5.56 NATO round for the M-16 any heavier. If anyone here besides myself have used issued 5.56 NATO ammo in a standard 30 round M-16 mag, you will know that the round just barely fits in. It cant be made any longer (ie: longer=heavier).

You can always swap a collabsable stock lower with a full length upper. I say, go with the A4.

Tyler