jts_2009

Limit of light sources..?

Hello. Im making a new coop mission and got some problems with creating light points. I start at small military base. I placed there 25 street enabled street lamps. I create then a light point.

This is how it looks like when street lamps are off:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TKSyv3_NksZ0Nj321hqlsv47pQro0nrT

And this is how the light source looks like when street lamps are on:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hQH7dEkm7kvYtiHlAm3z1Bejrhj_Qt9k

Is there a way to get around this limitation?..? (No, deleting street lamps is not a solution :D)

Also the light source looks ok when there are 24 street lamps. But lowering game setting "Dynamic lights" will get you into second situation (screen 2) :3. So I would need some universal solution... 😔

I know that you can make a cfgPatches mod that alters the graphics settings to allow for values above vanilla limits, including light count.

Apparently the hard-coded limit is 32 though, so it doesn't provide much more room.

yeah, I already figured that out. Thanks. I'll create a small mod...

Ok, another problem. I created small mod which modify the max value of vanilla dynamic lights (32) to 160. So far so good. But another problem. I created more and more light sources. I have a night mission. After creating the light sources, my flashlight doesnt light the ground. Only ground. Objects like cars, buildings, trees, grass - they are fine. Only ground.

First example, when light sources are created:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VbHbnDROcGbsm2Cv9Er0q2VanVKsGB7G

Second example, when I delete 1-2 light sources (this looks good now):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12nXF1yne1CIuojPyJv_n6roUvYzE2r7x

Anyone know maybe how to fix this? I don't know what where to grab

You can't. As stated in my previous post, the 32 light limit is hard coded. Lights beyond that limit will still have a flare sprite, but will not cast light onto surfaces.

@Target Practice So if it's hardcoded, how then I got over it...? I can create much more light sources and they are lighting. Before they weren''t lighting. But now is there that problem with the ground

I can. It's not hardcoded -) Where do you got this info?

Ok, looks like you have right. I counted my light sources and it was exactly 32. Well... There is nothing to do about it... ☹️

Would like to contribute to the discussion, find this interesting as i am also working on a night mission,

and am running into an issue where some campfires dont emit light whereas another does

and their the same campfire.

Currently still WIP i have the following lights

• 4 campfires
  • 9 spotlights
  • 1 camping lantern
  • 1 tripwire flare (so far)
  • 34 soldiers with flashlights

My issue is, im running Alias script that adds spotlights to mg's, truck mgs, aaa guns, etc,.

when that script is running, there are 3 campfires that dont emit light, the 34 soldiers with flashlights, their flashlights dont emit light

unless your exactly in front of them where the light is supposed to be then the light shines.

I have a tripwire flare that does work, you can see the flare but it doesn't light the area up at all, when i remove the script, the campfires emit light,

flashlights on the soldiers light up the areas they are at, the flare lights up the area.

For the soldiers with flashlights each squad has only 5-7 soldiers that actually have their lights on.

My question is if 32 lights hardcoded are the limit then what lights are actually being counted, and in how big of an area are lights not working

or rather not emitting light whereas others are?

I have another campfire and a camping lantern that are unaffected by these lights as they are really far away from the area, so there must

be some area or range of lights to be allowed on.

In between the lit areas spotlights, ect,. i have, a valley on Chernarus, and on either end is a small village, each village has streetlights on

but i dont think they are interfering or being effected by the lights i have.

Anyone have any insights into the 32 light limit and what lights are effected, is it any and all lights or certain types?

and in how much of an area, and the distance a light has to be from another light source?

@jts_2009, @Gunter Severloh,

My question is if 32 lights hardcoded are the limit then what lights are actually being counted, and in how big of an area are lights not working

or rather not emitting light whereas others are?

Likely within the rendered scene and including street lights.

The easy answer is stay below the limit. For example, instead of 34 soldiers with flashlights try 12 and spawn 12 more when necessary, etc.. These lights are pretty taxing entities-- you should be trying to come in under budget-- not trying to see how far you can push it.

Have fun!

Spoiler

You reminded me to add a flashlight line to my summon script. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1