madrussian

Gaming Headsets safe (and unsafe) for ArmA3

Looking for a new gaming headset, but recall hearing many Arma3 players running into trouble with crashes when using certain USB devices, specifically with gaming headsets.  Their crashes were Unusual Process Exit (0xC0000005) if memory serves.  I've had that particular Exit Code give me plenty of fits already (unrelated to USB), though thankfully I've resolved all those issues now.

So for those of you using headsets, should I steer clear of UBS (and thus wireless) headsets all-together for Arma3?  Or alternately if just certain known headset models cause that problem, which ones (so I may avoid)?

Thanks!

OK, let's try this another way:  What headset do you you guys recommend for Arma3?

31 minutes ago, madrussian said:

OK, let's try this another way:  What headset do you you guys recommend for Arma3?

My Logitech G933 has never given me any trouble.

• Like 2

I use a HyperX Cloud which I am quite pleased with. Even has some fake surround sound if you switch that on. But my favorite part is the over-ear cups which shuts out almost all outside sound.

-OP

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd also go with some HyperX Cloud 2. Very comfortable to wear. I had the Logitech 430 and HyperX Cloud Stinger before. With the Cloud Stinger I had a very annoying issue where people would constantly hear my Desktop Audio. (Tested with two different devices. The Support had no clue either). I had the Logitech 430 two times and both times they broke at the exact same place about half a year into use. The Plastic piece that connects the ear part to the head strap is just so brittle that it keeps shattering.  

• Like 2

I also own a G430 which I donated to my son after I got my G933. We've had no build quality problems with the G430 and he's treated them like any other 9 year old would. 🙂

Thanks all, good tips so far.

7 hours ago, old_painless said:

I use a HyperX Cloud which I am quite pleased with. Even has some fake surround sound if you switch that on. But my favorite part is the over-ear cups which shuts out almost all outside sound.

Most interested now in this surround sound aspect.  Sounds like you find yourself leaving this off?  Is fake surround sound generally not so great?

Curious, which headsets you guys found where the (fake) surround sound was pretty good?

I genearally leave the fake surround sound off on this one. For me it does not sound correct. The sound suddenly is not where I'd expect it. (Funnily enough: The Surround Sound that came with the G430 was really nice and I used it all the time) However, the sound on the HyperX Cloud 2 is really nice already.

@Tankbuster Might be that my head is just too big xD This is basically what happened to mine twice (not my pic) and I see similar things all over the Amazon Reviews. Even if you just look for "Logitech G430" on Google Image Search you find many similar things!
Not saying its a bad headset. Just speaking from my experience.

8 hours ago, Moon_chilD said:

The Plastic piece that connects the ear part to the head strap is just so brittle that it keeps shattering.  

On my previous Hyperx Cloud the weak point was where the cable goes into the ear cup. They broke in that place, and I even looked into fixing it which was when I realised that most headsets break exactly there. But the Hyperx I have now you plug a separate cable in to the headset. So if that ever broke, you would just get a replacement jack cable.

As for the surround I have gotten used to not using, so can't say if it makes a difference. The sound changes so something is going on, but I am not able to say if it improves your in-game hearing

11 minutes ago, Moon_chilD said:

@Tankbuster Might be that my head is just too big xD This is basically what happened to mine twice (not my pic) and I see similar things all over the Amazon Reviews. Even if you just look for "Logitech G430" on Google Image Search you find many similar things!
Not saying its a bad headset. Just speaking from my experience.

That could well fit in with our experience. I used the 430 for some time but passed it onto my young son, who has quite a small head, even for his age. That's probably extending the life of what is clearly a fragile set of 'phones.

So after a bit of research...

I find myself gravitating towards the HyperX - Cloud Alpha S.  That top band from Cloud 2 model up (which Alpha S has) looks comfy for longer sessions!  And the Alpha has 2 drivers, as opposed to 1 on Cloud 2 (& Stinger).  Cloud Alpha S is on sale right now too.  ($99 US down from regular $129)

It's a wired headset (which ok by me), but it does have a small USB controller which makes my worry for Arma3 memory crash (see OP).  Do you guys suppose that USB controller is optional?  Would call HyperX right now, except it's Saturday.

Also looked at HyperX Cloud Orbit, which has advanced head-tracking surround sound.  But probably not looking to shell out quite so much $ on my 1st headset (not truly knowing which features are most important yet, etc).

19 minutes ago, madrussian said:

It's a wired headset (which ok by me), but it does have a small USB controller which makes my worry for Arma3 memory crash (see OP).  Do you guys suppose that USB controller is optional?  Would call HyperX right now, except it's Saturday.

That controller is optional, I can tell from your link that it works like mine does. If you unplug from the USB controller you could plug into a phone, laptop, PC and use it like any stereo headset. So realize that then you will not have any "surround" effects, just plain old stereo. Do note that it is not a very long cable, I think the cable from my headset "down" to the USB controller is about 2-3 feet. One of the pictures in your link actually shows all this, the one with all the parts laid out

-OP

• Thanks 1

Good info @old_painless, many thanks.  Nice to know if that USB gives me crash trouble, I can simply unplug and play that way (minus surround sound).  Ok pulling the trigger now, to make purchase. 🙂

Great, let us know what you think about it once you have used it for a while. I am curious about the 2-driver thing

-OP