Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

1969 vietnam version 2.0 is here!

The mission "Keep on killin" has a unplayable error. As soon as it starts it gives you mission failed and says you are captured ending the campaign.

The mission after Transendence works fine, no issues, there was a load error, sebnam_1a I believe. However Keep on killin is the next and is impossible to go past.

Great work on this so far! smile.gif

Version 2.23 is available for download from the M.O.M. section of The FAQ.

===================

Summary of Changes:

===================

2.23. All enemy units in Missions 3 and 3a, "Hell's Fury" and mission 4, "Transference", defined with "allowfleeing 0" to prevent potential failure of mission end trigger.

2.23. Mission 4,"Transference", had two enemy soldier units that were ungrouped, preventing mission completion. Corrected.

2.23. Mission 6,"Keep on Killin'", failed at start. Caused by incorrect unit name. Corrected.

2.23. Correction of all references of SEB Nam Pack 1 unit name sebuh_1aMG to sebuh_1a.

2.23. Corrections to addons declaration sections of all missions. Prevented numerous missions and cutscenes from playing.

Hi Avon Lady

I'm very impressed of your work on the Vietnam 1969 2.0 Campaign! Yes I know that originally Spanky-G made it and I let him already know how I appreciate his work, but I really happy to see somebody converting it to Nam Pack 2. As soon as the download of the Nam Pack 2 is finished I will play the campaign again and will let you know how I feel about it. AND you really have got 7 children!? Unbelievable that you still find time to work on OFP. Thanks for you great effort!!

Kroky

I reverted back to "Transference" to check out the new changes and wow, it completes as soon as the last VC is dead. Great job.

However I am still having a problem with "Keep on killin". sad.gif It fails as soon as it starts up (starts you as 2nd in a squad in the woods). I don't have a clue why. The "mission failed" comes on the screen and it takes me to "Captured" sad.gif

Thanks for all the hard work on this Avonlady. Its so awesome to come home everyday and see that you have a new version out with the bugs squashed! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kroky @ Jan. 23 2003,23:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm very impressed of your work on the Vietnam 1969 2.0 Campaign!<span id='postcolor'>

I am only supporting the conversion. I did not have anything to do with the development of the campaign other than fixing up glitches reported to me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Yes I know that originally Spanky-G made it and I let him already know how I appreciate his work, but I really happy to see somebody converting it to Nam Pack 2.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, apparently Mr. Spanky isn't happy at all. His four letter words in an email to me yesterday made that very clear. He accused me of stealing his work. sad.gif

I only saw the email today because it was filtered out of my inbox. He's been automatically added to my junkmail list. wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">AND you really have got 7 children!? Unbelievable that you still find time to work on OFP.<span id='postcolor'>

Plus working at work plus working at home. wow.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Virestar @ Jan. 24 2003,01:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">However I am still having a problem with "Keep on killin". sad.gif  It fails as soon as it starts up (starts you as 2nd in a squad in the woods).  I don't have a clue why.  The "mission failed" comes on the screen and it takes me to "Captured"<span id='postcolor'>

I hope to try and resolve this today. From what's reported, this is the only outstanding problem. Patience, please.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kroky @ Jan. 23 2003,22:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">AND you really have got 7 children!? Unbelievable that you still find time to work on OFP. Thanks for you great effort!!<span id='postcolor'>

7 children... Cool. So you can set a future lan party at home or coming on a server: The [MFT]. MOM Family Team.  biggrin.gif

I would like to say thank's for the great job your are doing with this campain.

bye

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gourka @ Jan. 24 2003,10:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">7 children... Cool. So you can set a future lan party at home or coming on a server: The [MFT]. MOM Family Team.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I was thinking of the FAQ Assault Team or Avon's OFP League. biggrin.gif

Edit: Fixed - had an old version.

Good work with the conversion, Avon! And to Mr. Spanky for making this campaign - even if he's acting like a moron now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (joltan @ Jan. 24 2003,11:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the one with the assault is nearly impossible to beat (no luck for me yet, but I still got some hope left wink.gif ).<span id='postcolor'>

Keep trying. It can be beat but not easily.

There are 2 versions to this mission. Each has an intro cutscene. The 2nd version is played if you were the lone survivor of mission 2. It shows you running alone back to the base to warn of the impending tank attack.

Is that the cutscene you saw or the more standard one, where you and at least one other AI squadmate survived and there's just a general warning of the impending attack?

If it's the sole survivor version, I need to tweak it a bit so that SKILL and ARMOR settings are adjusted as in the standard mission version. Let me know.

AS for the "MISSION FAILED" error in "Keep on Killin'", I've found the trigger in error. Before I alter it, I need to try to comprehend what its actual intent was.

I started a separate thread in MISSION Editing on this.

Version 2.24 is available for download from the M.O.M. section of The FAQ.

===================

Summary of Changes:

===================

2.24. Mission 6,"Keep on Killin'", ended with "Mission Failed" the moment it began. A faulty mission end trigger has been deleted to resolve the problem. Corrected.

2.24. Other than different intro cutscenes, missions 3a, "Hell's Fury", is now equivalent to the mission 3 version of "Hell's Fury".

I'll be away for the next day and a half or so. If there are any problems, post them here and I'll try to deal with them when I return. smile.gif

Hi again you Super Mom!

I played yesterday the whole campaign on ver 2.23 again and really this Nam Pack 2 is awesome! I like the textures of the soldiers very much they really give you the Nam feeling. Beside the bug in Keep on Killing which you already fixed (I had once an error message bomb.sqs not found, I hope you fixed that too) I found some other points to work on:

During the Mission where I have to guard the Tower right before I can go fishing tomorrow to South Vietnam, when the VC attack, just after I spot the enemy tank coming down the hill the mission is complete. In the original version I had to fight off the attack off the base and then the mission was successful. Now it and just after spotting the tank. (2-3 minutes max.)

An annoying bug is after playing the Mission Fast Attack and destroying all the tanks and trucks it says Mission Complete but doesn't end the mission you still stay in the mission. AND when cheating by "ENDMISSION" the cutscene of Fast Attack plays again and I had to play the mission again! After completing it again successful it goes to the next mission but it jumps to the mission to attack the fuel station and not to the mission to support the citizens again the VC attack on the city. It just overjumped this mission. Then I played the mission (I think it's the last) where I fight off the attack of the VC of the new base established with the civilians and after the Huey finds me and lands near to the base it tells me I can go home now with honor and a medal but then and windows error message appears saying: CANNOT LOAD USERS\THOMAS KROKOSZ\SAVED\CAMPAIGNS\1969 VIETNAM V2\CONTINUE.FPS ERROR NO ENTRY AT \LANDSCAPE\OBJECTS\ITEM54.TARGETSIDE and the game crashed and returns to Desktop confused.gif

Ok thats all for the moment, and concerning Mr Spanky: He should be thankful to you!! You are making him even better known since a lot of people will play his campaign again or for the first time getting aware of his good work. And you always gave credit to him in the campaign book by writing that you "only" adapted his campaign to work with Nam Pack 2. Maybe his not happy because he wanted to make it himself. wink.gif

By the way: Are there any other good Missions/Campaigns for the Nam Pack 2? The only I found was the Mission on Ia Trang when attacking a convoy and stealing an ammo truck. The mission is not bad but really hard to win since a Huey comes to defend the convoy and there are no weapons around to take him down and there are way too much GI's.

Ok thanks again for your great efforts!

Kroky

Oh I forgot something: It's a small issue but maybe not unimportant: I noticed a difference when playing the original campaign and the adapted campaign, that the fog is way less tense than in the original version. Maybe it's because it's for Resistance and the weather engine works differently. But I liked the very tense foggy and rainy atmosphere in the original version. It just gives you more realistic feeling like beeing in Vietnam. Now the weather is not humid and the atmosphere not that tense. Especially when fighting again the VC in the woods it's really terrific when you can't see more than 50m ahead when it's rainy and foggy but you hear the footsteps of the VC!!

Maybe you're able to tweak it a little bit.

smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kroky @ Jan. 24 2003,21:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the way: Are there any other good Missions/Campaigns for the Nam Pack 2?<span id='postcolor'>

check around a few forums, there are quite a few here and at:

OFPEC Mission Beta Testing Forum

Mission Depot

OFPNAM

Operation Nam

uh oh, i just found this post over at the ofp.info forums:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There is a new verision of 1969: Vietnam out there at Avon Lady's website, but before you go off and download it you should know that it is stolen. The campaign, originally designed by me, has been through several changes, but the changes in version over 1.9 are unauthorized! Avon Lady modified it with out so much as dropping me an e-mail! :biting: I'm asking you in OFP land to respond to this by boycotting this campign and emailing Avon Lady at theavonlady@theavonlady.org and requesting it's removal. Many of you out there have played my campaigns, now is the time to defend them!! Thank you all, and to you Avon Lady :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff:<span id='postcolor'>

http://ofp.info/cgi-bin....;t=6042

I hope this doesnt mean you'll stop avonlady, youre doing some great work and youve given full credit to him...

Well, he could have been civil and e-mailed avonlady privately. It is not as if she is hard to reach. She has a well known website and she is also extremely nice. She will reply to e-mails fairly quickly, within a day or so, even to people like me who have yet to contribute to the community (i am learning to make missions).

I could say more but i will practice what i preach and stay civil about the subject.

I will stay a loyal supporter of avon. Plus the MOM section on her site has exposed me to some great missions.

Please don't stop working on these missions avonlady! Don't listen to that guy. His campaign wasn't going anywhere. You're the only reason anybodys downloading it now anyway. smile.gif

Hi,

Are you sure the poster is the actual maker of the original campaign? i have a hard time believing that he is behaving so childishly.

Avon Lady, you are doing his campaign an honor and giving a second life to it by doing a hard work, this post is going nowhere, but as the guy is asking that we boycott you i think that it's quite welcome that he sees where the community stands !

Thank you again Avon Lady.

BTW, did the guy make tha addons he used himself ir did he STEAL them .... muuuaaaahah wink.gif

Well you're allowed to use addons if they allow it and if you give them credit. His problem is that he didn't allow it.

It's like he made a bad movie in black and white, then copyrighted it and didn't touch it. But when someone comes along and puts it in color, boosts sales a lot, he throws a fit.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Jan. 25 2003,02:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's like he made a bad movie in black and white, then copyrighted it and didn't touch it. But when someone comes along and puts it in color, boosts sales a lot, he throws a fit.<span id='postcolor'>

I know the difference between using an addon and editing someone else's mission or campaign, but i wanted to point out how the reaction of "the guy" was as ridiculous as bashing someone for using addons made by others.

When it comes to the comparison with editing a movie, there is no profit or loss of profit involved, it's more like updating a defunct, outdated, unusuable(?) program under free license. This campaign was dead already, and like many others i wouldnt have bothered playing it if i would have had to downgrade to nam pack 1 + misc addons...

If "the guy" hadnt ridiculed himself he would have had the respect from the entire community for the campaign, because Avon Lady never claimed anything else but to have ported the campaign.

Now, what does he looks like ?!?! Let's not be cruel...

just my .2 € confused.gif

still, thank you "the guy" for the original campaign, thank you Avon Lady for now i can thank him as i could play his campaign smile.gif

I can understand Spanky being a bit pissed if the first he new about the update was when Avon released it but since shes been honest about its origins and never claimed to have done anymore than bring it up to date I don't feel hes been too hard done by. The original campaign was fun but it really needed the Nampack 2 makeover.

The one problem I have playing it is that 'Hells Fury' mission. I've now managed to finish it thanks to Avon's latest update. The problem is its still such a slaughter with all that HE flying and exploding armour. The only way I can find to survive is to run like hell and then watch as all my buddies get blown away. I've never seen so many flying bodies.

Perhaps fewer armoured units and more infantry might make this one a little more satisfactory? Or is everybody else happy?

i know what you mean, its hard to find a place where the HE/exploding tanks cant get you, but im passed it now so not too worried about it anymore

wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Jan. 24 2003,11wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (joltan @ Jan. 24 2003,11:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the one with the assault is nearly impossible to beat (no luck for me yet, but I still got some hope left wink.gif ).<span id='postcolor'>

Keep trying. It can be beat but not easily.

There are 2 versions to this mission. Each has an intro cutscene. The 2nd version is played if you were the lone survivor of mission 2. It shows you running alone back to the base to warn of the impending tank attack.

Is that the cutscene you saw or the more standard one, where you and at least one other AI squadmate survived and there's just a general warning of the impending attack?<span id='postcolor'>

It was the normal version of Hell's Fury - managed to return to base with almost the complete squad. But this mission is just tough - I got crushed everytime I tried, and my squad mates droped like flies... I used the campaign cheat after a while, but I'll try again later.

All other missions so far were quite easy (I'm now at the point were I have to do the shore patrol), some missions are even too easy in my opinion (for example the beach defense - just mow the boats down before they come near enough to return fire...).

The best way I have found to do Hell's Fury and still be able to kill some enemies is to run to the house closest to the incomming VC. Then go infront of it and go prone right behind the short (destroyed part) of the wall. You have great cover and stay away from the HE. You can pick off quite a few enemies from there and with their inaccurate aks, its not too hard to stay alive.

I think SpankyG is out of line. Avon has given him credit everywhere, in the readmes and before each mission. He did a great job with this campaign but I can honestly say I would have never played it if it had not been converted to SEBNam 2. He should be thanking Avon.. Just my thoughts on it.

Hmm, Spanky G is not exactly out of line, but some of you are. It only takes a tiny bit of unbiased thought to get a idea of where he may be coming from.

Eg. How do any of you know that the original author wasn't doing the update himself? How do you think things would go now if he released a new improved, nampack 2 capable campaign, considering people are looking down on him due this?, any one here would be pissed off if put in the same situation.

How do you think an addon maker would feel if someone updated their addon before they could, making it difficult / impossible for them to continue work on that addon?, It looks like the author simply wants to maintain control of the direction of his hard work, a very reasonable thing.

Im not saying it wrong the campaign was updated, people are obviously enjoying it, but i do think the orginal author has the right to be a pissed of if he wants to be, and at least informed of the work in progress before its released.