opteryx

Micronesian Architecture Mini Project

Few days ago I was browsing the Marianas islands in Google Earth and I came over a kinda cool looking building on Saipan and I thought since I've just started learning Modo it would be a good practice project. Here's what I've got so far:

https://imgur.com/a/l4LRwuk

Last pic you see is the reference photos I've gathered from Google Streetview. As you can tell it's not a 100% perfect replica because there's simply too much detail and it's still WIP.

I dunno what will come of this project, but for now I think I will only aim at finishing just this building and that might be it. I have a bunch of other projects and I fear if I start adding more to this project than this building I'll end up with a bunch of assets that I'll never finish (something i have a bad track record of doing.)

Anyway, I think I've come to the point where I've got the gist of it down, I'd like to add some more minor details maybe, small stuff like cables, damage, lamps and misc. electrical stuff to make it look more jerry rigged. Then it's UV unwrapping, texturing and LOD time.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome, but don't expect any major changes to happen.

• Like 19

Okay, progress has been slow, but here's an update. Building is now ~130k triangles, which is a bit too much for Arma, but meh. I'm mostly done UV mapping and started to make some textures.

ajjAb6l.jpg

The green plaster will definitely need some grunge map.

• Like 8

Looks good man always hungry for new and unique buildings -how enterable will they be?

1 minute ago, froggyluv said:

Looks good man always hungry for new and unique buildings -how enterable will they be? 

100% enterable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't done anything you could consider Afghan since Arma 1 days, I'm working on some new Iraq buildings though. This project is something I did cause I was getting tired of the Iraq stuff, but I will return to that when this is done.

• Like 1

Fresh, quality non-middle eastern buildings would be amazing. Looking good though!

Facade so far

9g97RMg.jpg

• Like 9

That architectural style probably owes something to the Spanish colonial period? If you keep the textures generic, I could see that building in a Central / South American context as well.

Also, the island of Saipan would make a good Arma 3 terrain (maybe scaled down a bit).

That architectural style probably owes something to the Spanish colonial period?

Possibly. I don't know much about architecture in this region.

If you keep the textures generic, I could see that building in a Central / South American context as well.

I might make two versions, one with signs and posters, another which is very generic so that it'll fit into more places

Also, the island of Saipan would make a good Arma 3 terrain (maybe scaled down a bit).

It would make a good map. I don't think there's much need for scaling down as it's smaller than Altis.

• Like 2

lnj9ICN.jpg

A little bit of progress

• Like 14

Got it ingame, now needs to get textures dirty.

LxXv8Ca.jpg

• Like 16

Unreal detail as always, 

Arma definitely needs some fresh buildings in the mix

• Like 9

BGcIyzh.jpg

Did some changes to the colorscheme of the facade.

• Like 7

Looking really great Op. I'm always interested to see your building things. I would probably encourage some fictional branding on the ol' billboards though, for the obvious IP reasons but also because coming up with those ideas can be pretty fun and creative.

Edit: I'm sure you're aware of Poolpunk's awesome stuff.

. I would probably encourage some fictional branding on the ol' billboards though, for the obvious IP reasons but also because coming up with those ideas can be pretty fun and creative.

Well, if you pay attention to the signs and compare them to the original, that's what I've done. 😉

*scratches head* I don't know... those recognisable computer brands look pretty much the same to my eyes. But hey... 🤐 😎

Oh, I thought you meant the specific business names of the the stores, not the products in the logos it self. I guess I'm going to check out if that's an issue.

The building is looking really really beautiful, good work!