Kristian

Future plans to continue "The legacy"

12 hours ago, target_practice said:

I do know that, but I thought there were no physics in DayZ at all.

If there were no physics, you couldn't drive cars. Actually my biggest gripe with DayZ that the car tires don't have enough grip.

13 hours ago, old_painless said:

I have no idea really about DayZ. When did they switch over to the Enfusion engine, a year ago ?

From nearly the beginning of the work on DayZ SA if I'm not mistaken, they firstly started with a modification of the engine used in Take On Helicopter (which is a modification of the A2) then improved it over the years as Dayz was build.

In this Bis news from 2015, you can already see them mentioning Enfusion.

Me...

What a I want is Physx (or the equivalence in Enfusion engine) for Man class so we can walk on moving objects...

I also want out the 72 m GEO/RLOD limit....

One can only hope...

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 4:23 AM, Dedmen said:

If there were no physics, you couldn't drive cars. Actually my biggest gripe with DayZ that the car tires don't have enough grip.

Usually when people say a game has "no physics" they mean not a robust physics engine not that objects aren't adhering to simple things like gravity

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mankyle said:

Me...

What a I want is Physx (or the equivalence in Enfusion engine) for Man class so we can walk on moving objects...

I also want out the 72 m GEO/RLOD limit....

One can only hope...

The above videos are from a mod for DayZ, but the support has to come from engine side.

In the current (released) state of the Enfusion in DayZ it seems to be possible to move inside vehicles. Helicopter flight model seems very ArmA -esque too, might be some engine leftover and not self made.

Hadn't seen the videos till today....

It really looks like the holy grail of Arma (walking on moving vehicles) is finally here with the Enfusion Engine....

I'll will resume working on my LPD so I can get it ready for the next installment in the Arma series...

Maybe I will try it in DAYz...

🤔🤔🤔

walk on moving objects is present even in take on mars, is not a new feature, i think the problem is a desync iin MP server

6 hours ago, zukov said:

walk on moving objects is present even in take on mars, is not a new feature, i think the problem is a desync iin MP server

Well it would be new for ArmA. ToM uses Enforce anyways, the same DayZ uses, and in the videos there doesn't seem to be Desync as far as I could see. Sure, running a 100 player coop with all players aboard moving ships and planes and whatnot might stress out a server, but I'm really hoping for it to be a polished feature in the next ArmA. Time will tell [/speculation] [/wishfulthinking]

Man news on any future plans for this game seems deader than the sea scrolls.

I have no play time with enfusion engine - does it have any noticeable animation progress over armas?

26 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

I have no play time with enfusion engine - does it have any noticeable animation progress over armas?

I don't speak from first hand experience either, but from what I understand enfusion's animation is considerably improved compared to RV's, with it incorporating animation blending and various other bells and whistles.

4 hours ago, froggyluv said:

Eh, it hasn't been that long since BI brought up ending development after Tanks. 3.5 years is peanuts compared to other games with much longer waits in-between releases.

4 hours ago, froggyluv said:

Just watch DayZ gameplay videos that are post-patch 0.63 (2018 or later). Animations are a definite upgrade from the clunkiness of RV and has much smoother transitions. Something as simple as climbing up a ladder no longer looks like you're teleporting onto it; you actually see the transition between standing on the ground and your character's legs getting a foothold on the bars. Doors also no longer open with mind powers since your character physically pushes them open.

Only thing to keep in mind is that DayZ uses a "lite" version of the engine that just utilises the new animation/rendering modules. We still don't know what the full Enfusion offers yet.

• Like 2

I've been watching DayZ SA development, particularly the workshop to see what mods are available for it in the hopes that we would see a glimpse of what might be coming to A4. Two of my big expectations for A4, some form of deformable terrain/underground tunnels in the terrain sim, and radical performance improvements to AI pathfinding, both seem to be missing at this point. Hopefully this is due to a lack of knowledge on the part of mod makers rather than limitations of Enfusion.

Regarding the speculation on the culture of BI moving forward, I doubt that they will wander far from their founding ambitions. With BI there appears to be a passion, or legacy, of simulating an era of conflict in a particular region. Often the largest artistic labour being the location itself. They have made multiple games trying to recreate this sort of experience. Every attempt has failed in numerous ways, but each attempt has been a glorious and splendid gaming experience. I suspect they will leverage whatever new assets, be it engine code base or skills & knowledge of staff to again attempt what they feel they have failed in the past. The investment in technical assets or skills and knowledge will hopefully pay off two fold in being able to improve what is lacking in A3 for the new A4, and also enable BI to apply that to other products.

Just give us Cherno, where we can dig tunnels, with AI that can populate the map to make the space feel "lived in" with performance that allows us to play with things like VR and A4 will be a winner, in my book at least.

EDIT: Interestingly the first red faction game with its "geo-mod" engine was released in 2001, same year as OPF.

Right now at this pint of time the Enfusion engine is really good and a big step forward from RV4!

However... If there ever will be an ARMA 4 based on Enfusion and it still need 2 3 or even 4 years to develope i'm afraid the game once more will be developed on an already ( old ) outdated engine.

I know BIS isn't known for developing new engines every 4 - 5 years and yes Enfusion defenetly still would be worth it but somehow i would rly love to see an ARMA part on a engine that can keep up with its time!

Don't get me wrong here ARMA 3 RV4 engine is based on a compared to other game engines ancient engine but still there is no other game i sticke with and play like ARMA!

Still one of the most creative games out there! 👍

• Like 1

Four years is hardly enough to make an engine 'outdated'. Given their complexity, modern engines are usually developed with an expected lifetime of at least a decade.

• Like 1

I think BI will surprise us with a much better Enfusion graphics engine than we have in Dayz. Competition is fierce and Amazon's lumbeyard is now able to make entire star systems. For me ARMA 4 will be of absolute quality.

2 hours ago, target_practice said:

... modern engines are usually developed with an expected lifetime of at least a decade.

Agreed, most engines are iterations on already existing code bases. I think the issue with RV being so limited in terms of iterative improvements is that a lot of that code was poorly documented and the staff who created it left resulting in a fragile highly coupled deck of cards that can seriously impede the productivity of devs going forward. I often dream of BI starting from scratch building a new engine in Rust with Vulkan, but that would be a huge & risky investment.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 6:34 AM, snkman said:

However... If there ever will be an ARMA 4 based on Enfusion and it still need 2 3 or even 4 years to develope i'm afraid the game once more will be developed on an already ( old ) outdated engine.

It would seem that an Arma 4 is still years away. BI just recently said that they are still taking submissions for creator DLC projects.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wouldnt mind supporting DLC if they once in a while gave us something new like oh i dont know... some new combat animations? Seriously we've had the same robot moves forever now and they have their own Mocap studio yet all we ever get in that regard are cutscene animations -what good are those once that scene is done except for machinma? Id buy every single DLC if they started upgrading those aspects which to me are at the very core of the game

On 7/19/2020 at 3:53 PM, stburr91 said:

It would seem that an Arma 4 is still years away.

...which is kind of contradicting with the whole A3 is on life support attitude. There's only small team in Netherlands left dedicated to A3, focused on small bug fixing. So game not only will not get any new official content (creator DLCs are developed outside of BIS, and upcoming Red Cross DLC is... well, also mostly developed by contest entrants), but we can be sure that the most annoying bugs, hidden deep in the game code, will be left as they are, because fixing them is too big of a task for Amsterdam team (and Czech branch with most experienced programmers is working on new unannounced title).

2021 is probably too early for Arma 4, but from purely economic point of view, BIS needs to have something new around 2022 - their flagship titles (A3 and DayZ) are getting long in the tooth already.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, krzychuzokecia said:

...which is kind of contradicting with the whole A3 is on life support attitude. There's only small team in Netherlands left dedicated to A3, focused on small bug fixing. So game not only will not get any new official content (creator DLCs are developed outside of BIS, and upcoming Red Cross DLC is... well, also mostly developed by contest entrants), but we can be sure that the most annoying bugs, hidden deep in the game code, will be left as they are, because fixing them is too big of a task for Amsterdam team (and Czech branch with most experienced programmers is working on new unannounced title).

2021 is probably too early for Arma 4, but from purely economic point of view, BIS needs to have something new around 2022 - their flagship titles (A3 and DayZ) are getting long in the tooth already.

Heck, from economic point,  A4 should have come out a year ago, A3, and DayZ have been long in the tooth for a few years now.

Last October, a couple of BI developers said there was two creator DLC project in the works. That makes one wonder how long a these DLCs take to develop,  a year, two years? So if BI is still taking submissions for creator DLC projects, that makes me think A4 may not be out for years, late 2022 at the earliest, or maybe not until 2023? 

• Like 1

We'll know for sure once they start putting out ARGs as a teaser. Don't forget that Arma 3 had the Iranian hackers ARG revealing tidbits about the setting at least a month before they revealed the live action mini-trailer.

On 7/18/2020 at 5:10 PM, zukov said:

I think BI will surprise us with a much better Enfusion graphics engine than we have in Dayz. Competition is fierce and Amazon's lumbeyard is now able to make entire star systems. For me ARMA 4 will be of absolute quality.

I just want an optimized game