Kristian

Future plans to continue "The legacy"

7 hours ago, drebin052 said:

As POLPOX stated, it's very likely to be SEA-themed given the author of the offer and the mod they're currently working on.

Pookie and TeTeTe have done many ship assets...

They are good both of them...

I'm eager to see anything related to ships and amphibious operations...

It seems very unfair to take all the bad trends in the industry and predict them onto BIS when they've always been miles over and beyond (except, perhaps, the dayz development). They have included DLCs which is quite fair in my eyes, especially they way they've done it. To get a somewhat sustainable cash flow going when you keep improving the product for 5-6 years after release is quite reasonable.

We have no indication of BIS going the EA route and seeing as the game is niche, I don't think pissing off their player base is anything that they'll risk. 

They certainly see the value in the modding community, and if anything, I think they're more likely to offer DayZ-deals than expensive DLCs and micro-transactions. That's a great business idea and they're in a pretty unique position to do this. An important success factor for other creators to sell their IP in any shape or form depends on the standing BIS has, and for now - it's pretty good. 

I think we can also expect more casual gamer-games, and pay-to-win mobile games. That's where the money is, after all and it would be stupid to avoid that market, but it doesn't have to affect "our" games. Diversifying risk is good news for every one. It means that they don't have to close shop if Arma4 flops.

Talking about A4, they one thing I want is a complete revamp of AI. It seems to be too much spagetti-code now, seeing all the things they've added since OFP. If we could get better physics so tanks aren't suddenly part of the space program, that would be a welcome bonus.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, stburr91 said:

Can you provide a link to where this information was confirmed? 

I can't, since it's in a Discord server you probably didn't joined in. It's a project from the guy(s) drebin052 mentioned, and looked for an animator to make an “asian squat” animations.

TBH i don't understand why BI shouldn't continue with ARMA 4 when this franchise has been great success.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 12:44 PM, krzychuzokecia said:

As for the "20 years of Bohemia" vid... it's one of those corporate identity "oorah" things, which are not even aimed at customers (us), but employees.

The video is actually atleast 5 months old. It was shown at the 20th anniversary party. It was only recently published as it was laying around.

So yes I fully agree it was not aimed at customers.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2020 at 11:32 PM, target_practice said:

I'm willing to believe that BIS won't do this. DCS/Train Simulator DLC model is one that is only really practical for simulators with a dedicated niche community.

Arma does of course have this, but these days the majority of the franchise's revenue comes from more casual players. Most of the Arma community is now comprised of these people, for better or worse (largely the latter, honestly) and I serioulsy doubt they'll be receptive to that kind of scheme.

Bohemia runs the risk of sinking the franchise with such a method by driving away the mainstream audience; given that they seem to be moving in the direction of more mainstream appeal, I doubt they'll approach it in such a way if these are the circumstances.

That's a fair point. That's why I suppose (and this is my unsubstantiated ramble - I should make YT vids like Drewski! :don11:) BIS may decide to make two new Armas - one aimed at core Arma players (with serious gameplay and lots of 3rd party DLCs of serious military stuff), and one aimed at dirty console peasants casuals - with fast-paced MP modes, online leaderboards, skins and other forms of AAA enhancements. Kinda like Argo, but done right.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:32 PM, target_practice said:

In other words, instead of trying to make a complete game in of itself, they'll take a page out of Bethesda's book and create something that is good enough, exploiting the pre-established modding community to do the remainder of the work for them.

Another good point, though one could jokingly say that it is a case already! Same thing with pioneers of early access - well, all Arma games felt like unfinished beta at the day of release!

4 hours ago, Dedmen said:

The video is actually atleast 5 months old.

Good to know! With this in mind, all that hype of "...looking forward?! FOUR-ward?!?! OMG!!! ARMA 4 IN 2020 CONFIRMED!!!11!1" is even less credible. Especially since BIS March recap said that company is getting ready for long months of no big announcements.

I also wish this vid would not be shown to world. I mean - I'm the last person to review internal BIS policies, but in case of such a niche game like Arma, the whole AAA-big corp language used in the material makes me more worried than having no information at all! Anyway, good luck to BIS in their future projects!

• Like 2

Hi All

I think we have 2 good solutions for the next mounths that will be great.

The first one is "Arma 4 is almost Ready lets wait for a First Trailer and Wait for Alpha and Beta Versions". ( Awsome )

The second one is " Arma 4 is in Development and we have at least 2 Years to arrive " No Problem BI, just give us a Enfusion Engine Update to Arma 3 and we will enjoy max Fps And perfomance in a Awsome Game for first time Since 2013 until Arma 4 Arrive " (Great to Isn't ).

See you in Arma 3

T3AMRR 

21 minutes ago, T3AMRR said:

No Problem BI, just give us a Enfusion Engine Update to Arma 3

That's not something that's going to happen.

18 minutes ago, target_practice said:

Are you sure About That ..?

1 hour ago, target_practice said:

What are this weekends lottery numbers?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, T3AMRR said:

I'm sure about that, it's not going to happen.

Arma 3's development is done other than small tweaks, and maintenance updates. BI isn't going to spend time, resources, and money to move a 7 year old game to a new engine. 

We can be pretty sure there won't be two different Arma 4 versions, one on PC that is like the current arma, and a simplified console version. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah I think the most we can expect is a small scale, Argo-esque trial/demo of the new Enfusion engine. I'd love any info from BIS though, be it simple tech demo videos or Q&A vids with the devs

(There is a 2 part interview of the Enfusion Lead: PART 1 PART 2 )

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 12:28 PM, T3AMRR said:

Yes.

Developer here btw 😄

But there is no engine change needed to get some performance improvements.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kristian said:

Yeah I think the most we can expect is a small scale, Argo-esque trial/demo of the new Enfusion engine. I'd love any info from BIS though, be it simple tech demo videos or Q&A vids with the devs

(There is a 2 part interview of the Enfusion Lead: PART 1 PART 2 )

Just saw these videos and there were some good questions. One was about PhysX and how BI intend to not use PhysX anymore, in fact no 3rd party physics engine. So they must develop it themselves, in itself a daunting task. Those videos are from 2016 and this makes it less surprising that the engine took this long to get into a production state. Actually, IIRC, one reason mentioned for Arma 3's delay was that they started incorporating PhysX and it delivered quite a few surprises along the way. But to this day we still have flying tanks, so makes sense actually to develop your own physics engine, although it will cost in initial development.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, target_practice said:

Well I suppose that would explain why DayZ apparently has no physics right now.

It does though?

ArmA 3 and DayZ physics are in the meme category "Well yes, but actually no".

4 hours ago, Dedmen said:

It does though?

Well I haven't played DayZ myself, but I notice in videos that I've seen of it that it lacks ragdoll physics. Is there a particular reason for this?

So... what, make a great game and people will buy it? Impossible!

Spoiler

Even through a period of six, nearly seven years, 5mil+ Arma 3 copies sold on PC alone is very respectable. Good job!

1 hour ago, target_practice said:

Well I haven't played DayZ myself, but I notice in videos that I've seen of it that it lacks ragdoll physics. Is there a particular reason for this?

I don't know, maybe because ragdoll physics look terrible. I hated when that became the industry standard. Dead units folding in half, or knees bending backwards, very immersion breaking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stburr91 said:

I don't know, maybe because ragdoll physics look terrible. I hated when that became the industry standard. Dead units folding in half, or knees bending backwards, very immersion breaking. 

That's a problem with the physical contraints of a given model, not physical simulation in general.

Just to be clear, the interview states that they will build their own physics engine, so the Enfusion engine certainly does contain physics handling. Just not based on the PhysX library which is used in Arma 3. And physics is so much more than ragdoll, the notion of how heavy a vehicle is compared to other things, if you drive head-on into a tree trunk, does the tree fall over or not? Collisions and so on are all high-school physics calculations, but one big task is to physics-enable all objects. There is a ton of properties, eg. weight, point-of-gravity, density and so on.

• Like 2

I just want to walk inside moving vehicles 😞

52 minutes ago, old_painless said:

Just to be clear, the interview states that they will build their own physics engine, so the Enfusion engine certainly does contain physics handling. Just not based on the PhysX library which is used in Arma 3. And physics is so much more than ragdoll, the notion of how heavy a vehicle is compared to other things, if you drive head-on into a tree trunk, does the tree fall over or not? Collisions and so on are all high-school physics calculations, but one big task is to physics-enable all objects. There is a ton of properties, eg. weight, point-of-gravity, density and so on.

I do know that, but I thought there were no physics in DayZ at all.

I have no idea really about DayZ. When did they switch over to the Enfusion engine, a year ago ?