Daz__

Reproducable FPS Drop **caused by rocks** (in editor)

Reproducable framerate drop (from 70fps to 12fps) caused by specific objects (rocks) on map.
Video demonstration here.

Hardware specification in video description. (Water cooled i7 6700k, 16gb, 1080ti).
Issue observed initially online (KOTH) but reproducable in the editor as shown.

physx activation in bounding sphere, maybe too detailed collision lod.

When you get such a bug its essential that you state where it happens aka coordinates.
Because you'll just waste tens of minutes of some devs time trying to figure out where and what that is, while he could already be done fixing the issue in that time had you provided coordinates.

Not only is it a time waste, its also very of putting, a dev won't want to waste his time investigating, so he just won't do it and keep it on todo list forever.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if this has been resolved or not, but I experienced a similar problem on a community map called Saint Kapaulio. My milsim group needed an artificial island with runway, so I built one out of concrete pier objects "off the map" just south and west of the 0,0,0 coordinates. With just the pier objects everything was fine, but then I decided I wanted to make it pretty, so I added a bunch of rocks both beneath the composition and extending away from the runway, sort of like shoals. The rocks were a mixture of Arma 3 objects and Arma 2 objects from the CUP Terrains, including the same wavebreaker object that seemed to trigger Daz's frame loss. Something about them caused frame rates to drop precipitously, but unlike with Daz's experience, the frame drop persisted across the map, not just in the vicinity of the rocks! I removed the rocks and tried again, and performance was fine. My final solution was to keep the rocks, but disable simulation and make them simple objects, which restored performance across the map. If it would be helpful, I would be happy to share my composition or try it again on a vanilla map with vanilla objects.

This object "Land_Sea_Wall_F" cause severe fps problems, on clients and even on server, when a helicopter is near it.

Even when the "Land_Sea_Wall_F" object is created as simple object or with simulation disabled!

The helicopter that causes the great fps decrease is the Black Taru ("O_Heli_Transport_04_covered_black_F").
I have base building on my server, and this object was an option to build, as simple object. I removed it.

It's a nice object to have, if BI can fix this, i add it again.

• Like 2

Hi Pagoda.br, welcome on this forum.

Your report is easily reproducible on vanilla.

The helicopter type doesn't matter. The FPS drop occurs at most when helo flies over an edited object "land_sea_wall_f". If you place 10 objects the drop is very hard. If you fly higher (more than 100 m) the drop is not significant... 1rd or 3rd person don't give the same result (probably due to the nbr of displayed sea walls).

I tested also all bounding boxes on this object without finding a bug...

So, you should open a feedback ticket here (that's a good way for reporting such issue, even if the solutions are not immediate).

Example: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T152438 (still assigned to none...)

• Like 2

On 4/14/2021 at 3:45 PM, pierremgi said:

Hi Pagoda.br, welcome on this forum.

Your report is easily reproducible on vanilla.

The helicopter type doesn't matter. The FPS drop occurs at most when helo flies over an edited object "land_sea_wall_f". If you place 10 objects the drop is very hard. If you fly higher (more than 100 m) the drop is not significant... 1rd or 3rd person don't give the same result (probably due to the nbr of displayed sea walls).

I tested also all bounding boxes on this object without finding a bug...

So, you should open a feedback ticket here (that's a good way for reporting such issue, even if the solutions are not immediate).

Example: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T152438 (still assigned to none...)

pierremgi, do you want to create the ticket?
I would say thanks to you.