Leopard20

Best array position for another array with variable size?

Hello everyone.

Let's say I want to place array A inside array B:

B = [....A....]

The dots mean there may be other variables with fixed memory size after or before A (typically some strings or integers in my code).

Array A however, may have a variable size (due to using pushBack/append/deleteAt/set for this array), from 0 all the way up to hundreds of elements.

In terms of memory allocation speed, is there any difference where you put A inside B?
Also, does reading speed (B select _index) vary according to where A is? (I think it doesn't, but asking to make sure)

I'm asking this because arrays B and A (and their contents) are read and sometimes modified per frame.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, a code example would be better so I could understand :)

1 hour ago, gc8 said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, a code example would be better so I could understand 🙂

It's a general question. No code is needed.

I don't think anyone but the devs can answer it. Hopefully @Dedmen or @Dwarden can help!

14 hours ago, Leopard20 said:

Hello everyone.

Let's say I want to place array A inside array B:

B = [....A....]

The dots mean there may be other variables with fixed memory size after or before A (typically some strings or integers in my code).

Array A however, may have a variable size (due to using pushBack/append/deleteAt/set for this array), from 0 all the way up to hundreds of elements.

In terms of memory allocation speed, is there any difference where you put A inside B?
Also, does reading speed (B select _index) vary according to where A is? (I think it doesn't, but asking to make sure)

I'm asking this because arrays B and A (and their contents) are read and sometimes modified per frame.

Arrays are stored by reference. 

As long as you know which index A is stored in the answer is: no, where you put A in the B array has no bearing on the access time or memory allocation time. 

In any practical application "array select 0" and "array select n" are equal in speed. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2020 at 7:44 PM, Leopard20 said:

no

On 4/10/2020 at 7:44 PM, Leopard20 said:

no

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dedmen said:

no

no

Good to know! 🙂
Thanks