krzychuzokecia

Operation Autumn Forge

Operation Autumn Forge

Version 0.5

Promo1.jpg

A total conversion mod for Arma: Cold War Assault, set in grim alternate 1980s, when Cold War went HOT!

See how NATO excercise "Autumn Forge" incidentally causes an all-out war with Warsaw Pact. Take part in virtual battles which are not only inspired by historical warfare, but also
historical gaming!

Relive Cold War in a retro style, taken straight from an era of 8 bit microcomputers and VGA resolution!

Operation Autumn Forge is the first mod in Arma history to use a cutting-edge "RIP - Real Innovative Play" technology by Alex_Mercer (@prototype1479).

To enable "RIP" in your missions, place a game logic found in editor.

Credits:

• krzychuzokecia - models and textures
  • Alex_Mercer - "RIP - Real Innovative Play" technology
  • @sanctuary - WW4 animations.

Download:

User reviews:

See you all during next Game Developers Conference!

Edited by krzychuzokecia
We have our first reviews!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

If that model chunks are same as the firegeo - than it's very sport'y...

Since April Fool's is over, we can talk seriously now.

Yes, infantry models are taken straight from BIS fire-geo LOD. As you can see, it's quite big when compared to regular visible LOD. That's why best PvP players often turn their detail settings to lowest values - not only it helps with performance, but allows you to see better actual unit boundaries.

However, in the future of this project, I'm planning to add some more detail to the models - both infantry, and vehicles. In it's current form it's just a joke, not to be taken seriously (though idea of "retro-styled OFP" has some merit).

I actually thought about making a mod like this many years ago with very low polygon models and cartoonish textures just to see how close to actual military sized units the engine could cope with needed for operations on islands like Nogova.

IIRC there was one released on this very forum, few years back. Someone simply cut all the detail LODs but the last, to use it in some sort of RTS mission. But I can't find it anymore.

• Like 1

😄 At this point, OFP is retro style.

I remember that mod you mention. I thought it might've been Mercer. But he probably would've mentioned it to you. I think Prof tournesol did something similar to see how unit numbers affected frame rate. He went pretty low on the detail as I recall. But it didn't increase performance much. I assume the AI itself is still a big drain, regardless of model complexity.

• Like 1

With 128 and 256px textures it's not retro enough! :D

Seriously though, I'm trying to achieve stylistic of 1990s sim games, especially LHX and Hind. More retro than OFP, but also should still look quite nice, as opposed to the current April Fools "operation minecraft" style.

As for the RTS mod - might have been ProfT indeed! It was probably around 2013, I think - too early for Mercer, since he was in elementary school then! :D (I wonder what he'll have to say about it!)

• Like 1

BadDream was making his LegoWars, you might to take a look at

14 hours ago, hitman1987 said:

BadDream was making his LegoWars

Yep, I've seen the vids. Amazing stuff!

1 hour ago, K.Astrozhski said:

need trees and buildings in this style

I know, right?! :D

Currently the plan is to remake the infantry and weapons from first release - it was just a joke, but since there is some genuine interest in that kind of mod, I guess replacing "for the lols" stuff with proper content should be first priority. Then the focus is on vehicles from vanilla OFP - and that's going to take some time too. Island textures, objects and (hopefully) weather and particle effects are planned for the last.

Thing is, I'm not yet sure if I want to keep the models plain as in the screenshot ("Army Men" style), or introduce some pixel-art textures (kind of what BadDream did with his Legos, though even less detailed - think Minecraft). Afterall, even the Soviet infantry and helis in "Hind" had camo, despite everything else being just plain colours. And if the infantry in my mod will have pixel-art textures, then it's only necessary to make everything else in this style too.

Edit: naturally, the biggest problem is that I have other modding projects that take precedence, not to mention real life :D So this mod is kind of "always on backburner".

• Thanks 1

Тнат "Ніид" чаме шаз ашезоме, сомяад. Жоод лцск шітн тнат.

• Thanks 1