chital_shikari

ROTC Training Aid

Hey everyone. The title says it all. My University's ROTC unit has moved to all-online instruction, including our weekly field training exercises. My instructor has elected to use Arma III to do this.

I bought Arma 3 a while back but haven't played it in at least a year, maybe two. I have no idea where to begin or what to do in regards to helping my instructor utilize it to essentially show the mission, as only a few of us have the game and even fewer have the machines to run it.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you. 

• Like 2

I would say: play some of the general gameplay tutorials to get on how the game works. At the same time, get acquainted with the editor, there are lots of tutorials on youtube and elsewhere.

If not everyone is able to play Arma I would k̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶m̶e̶  setup some kind of interactive viewing session where an instructor can show for instance some manoeuvres on the map and using first person perspective, based on a mission that he created. So basically you would need teaching software that the students can see the instructors screen (there are multiple options for this, I hear a lot of talk about Zoom for instance). At my university we use Blackboard Collaborate.

If you have some other guys and girls who also have Arma, and who are obviously your most elite soldiers, they can be part of the training session as demonstrators. Lets say the instructor gives the students some scenario's to think about, they choose a scenario, and then the demonstrators would act out the scenario in Arma.

You might also be in interested in Zeus, a system in Arma where the instructor can be a kind of Dungeon Master and control the complete setup and progress of a mission. Perhaps this works even better than using the editor (unfortunately I don't have experience with Zeus).

Because of the circumstances I have to teach online now as well. A basic advice is to try to keep it simple, add a lot of structure and lower the learning goals, as online learning is often a bit harder compared to working with a live, physical instructor.

Hope this helps!