Sign in to follow this  
unnamedplayer27

Making enemy AI aware of player automatically

The problem- Always spotting the enemy before they see me, particularly at longer range, but also at short distance. While the element of surprise is useful tactically, many of my missions, and I suspect the created missions of other ARMA players (in every installment,) are largely based around counter insurgency-type operations. I am not concerned with acquiring the enemy before they see me in these missions, but rather the opposite. There are a number of mods that both increase AI awareness and engagement distance, and this has been of great help, but not enough to create the immersion of a patrol being ambushed that I am seeking.

The request- how can I get enemy AI to see and engage my group by making them aware of me from the editor? I mean in a way that catches the player by surprise, particularly at longer range (keep in mind I have mods like Zeus AI that enable it to an extent). The "destroy" waypoint does not seem to work in the way I want, and neither does the limited tinkering I've done in the past via triggered behavior on certain enemy units, though that was a long time ago and I'm open to suggestions again. If I could, hypothetically, make the enemy clairvoyant of my (and my group's) location from across the map, I recognize that it would alter their movement (constant danger mode,) but I could work around that in my editing.

From what I have experienced, I think this is the kind of situation a lot of Arma players are striving to create in their more basic edited missions, especially ones revolving around a NATOesque player vs insurgent opfor. It's nearly impossible to make that immersive with the sandbox A-very limited-I. Please forgive my ignorance in asking this, but understand that I have put some time into experimenting and combing forums for solutions before I created a profile here to ask this. If you have any helpful links or tips, please let me know. Bonus points if I can get the ambient-warfare spawned AI to do this as well.

On 3/25/2020 at 2:16 AM, beno_83au said:

Run reveal on AI and you can have them know about the player instantly.

I should have just tried this again instead of posting here, thanks. I tested this a long time ago on an earlier version without mods without any luck. I'm still having issues, but at least a piece of the puzzle is complete.