lawman_actual

Strange missile flight characteristics

I've built a new missile type projectile, with beam-riding guidance, which comes out of the launcher in the correct direction.
However, the munition doesn't follow it's beam, instead veering wildly off course.

At first it seemed it was a guidance issue, like trying to track another target, but after upping the ability of the missile to maneuver I think it's more likely the missile is being thrown about by some rotating animation.

I'd included an axis that I was going to animate in flight once I'd actually figured out how to do that, but I'm a bit confused about why it's animating when I haven't set this up at all. No model config or anything.

I'm currently trying to suss out what I need to check to see if this theory is correct.

Cheers,

Law

Edited by lawman_actual
Removed redundant information

Is there a list of memory points for things like missiles? If any are even needed?

I haven't been able to find any but I wondered if a missing memory point might be the cause.

I created a new ammo which inherits everything from the BIM-9X to get a clearer picture.

First I change:

lockType = 1;

Congrats, you now have a beam-riding BIM-9X.

So now I change:

model = "law_mod1\addons\law_addon1\data\myModel.p3d";

The model loads fine but it now flies in random spinning motions all over the place.

Clearly it's something to do with how the .p3d is set up but I have no idea what.

Cheers,

Law

I've not been around for quite a while, nor have I had any experience modelling projectiles themselves. That said, I can make a suggestion or two that might help.

Does your model have a geometry lod? If so, does it have a mass applied?

If the answer to either of those is "I don't know" or "No" then that might be a place to start.

Fire up O2 (Object Builder - sorry, I'm old-school) and load your model.

If it doesn't have a geometry LOD, you'll need to create one. Do this by right-clicking in the LODs window and selecting 'New' and then selecting Geometry from the new window.

Create a simple box and reshape it to the rough dimensions of your projectile. The best way to do this is to press F7 and then OK. You'll then need to manually re-size the box to fit the rough dimensions of your projectile. Give this box the same named selection as your projectile (not sure what that would be as I said previously I've no experience modelling missiles etc).

Then you'll need to give it a weight.

Select the entire box (which by the way will have the name 'Component01' - keep this named selection) and then either go to 'Windows -> Mass' or use the keyboard shortcut 'ALT+M'

I'm not sure what weight you would want to assign, but I think the unit is kilograms (KG) but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, put whatever amount you feel is fitting then save your P3D.

Hopefully that will help, if not I've written a 5 minute tutorial on how to assign mass to objects 🙂

Hey, thanks for getting back on this one Jackal.

I did have mass assigned but thanks for the suggestion.

I think maneuverability and a couple of other config settings turned out to be the issue. They worked independently but when combined something was messing up.

Not exactly sure since I ended up starting virtually from scratch again with the config, but guess that's how it goes sometimes 🙄

Cheers,

Law