Zjajo

Trouble with finding objects near location

I am having trouble with a couple of locations that return 0 objects found and therefore does not create a marker, but the location does have around 150 objects. What I am trying to do is:

- search the map for locations, stored in an array

- At each location I search for objects of typeName "House_F", stored in an array

- I then create an ELLIPSE marker at each location with a radiusA/B equal to the amount of objects in the object array for that location, so for example Chapoi on Malden has ~300 objects of typeName "House_F" making the ELLIPSE marker 300x300

The problem is that the marker is created for most of the cities correctly, but does not create the marker for a military base near the airport and for Arudy(on Malden of course).

How I am testing this:

- Load Malden in the editor

- Place character down anywhere on map and select "Play as character"

- Open debug console and paste whats in the spoiler, select LocalExec

- Open map and see locations that do and do not have markers

- Check RPT to verify that locations have been logged along with the number of objects found near them

Spoiler

_locations = nearestLocations [getArray (configFile >> "CfgWorlds" >> worldName >> "centerPosition"), ["NameCityCapital","NameLocal","NameCity","NameVillage","Strategic","CityCenter","NameMarine"], 25000];
{
    _town = text _x;
    _className = className _x;
    _type = type _x;
    _list = locationPosition _x nearObjects["House_F", 250];
    //diag_log format[ "ConfigName = %1", _className ];
    _name = format["mrk_%1", _town];
    _locationCountTotal = count _list;

_mrk = createmarker [_name, locationPosition _x];
    _mrk setMarkerShape "ELLIPSE";
    _mrk setMarkerSize [_locationCountTotal, _locationCountTotal];
    _mrk setMarkerBrush "SOLID";
    _mrk setMarkerColor "ColorRed";
    _mrk setMarkerAlpha 0.6;

diag_log format["Location: %1    ....Size: %2    ....Type: %3", _town, _locationCountTotal, _type ];
}forEach _locations;

Does anyone know why it returns 0 objects for Arudy and the military base near the main airport, and would you know how to remedy this?

I am using this method because it works better than grabbing radiusA and radiusB from the config because a lot of the locations do not have an appropriate radius for the actual location size. On Malden, Faro (in the bottom left of island) only has a few buildings on a coastline yet creates a marker with a size of 574x360, which is far too big for that tiny village.

EDIT: I just tested another way by placing a character in the town of Arudy, searching for nearestLocation, searching for objects of typeName "House_F" near the location, creating the marker with a size equal to amount of objects found and it all works fine. It works if I single Arudy out and do it by itself, but not when I group it with all the other locations. Hmm...

That's probably because some locations have the same (generic) name instead of a geographic one. I had to cope with the location position (stringed as name) for my markers. You can't have two markers with the same name.

On 2/26/2020 at 10:17 AM, pierremgi said:

That's probably because some locations have the same (generic) name instead of a geographic one. I had to cope with the location position (stringed as name) for my markers. You can't have two markers with the same name.

This is what I ended up doing also. Thanks for the reply.