Sign in to follow this  
DracoPaladore

Question about video i saw

Hmm...I downloaded that video of (I think) of the swedish military from http://www.forummatch.com/forum....d=13827

And I was wondering about the last part of it. It had tracers firing from the barrel, but what made me question is why they bounced around when they hit something. Of coarse, they made the whapping noise when they hit, but I was just wondering why they were bouncing around.

I dont know much about the military, especially about how weapons work. Should the bullets really bounce around like that? Or are they just tracer rounds?

Tracers are the same as normal rounds, with the exception that they have a hollow core at the bottom filled with red phosphorous.

Yes, all bullets will riccochet when they hit something, even soft earth.

My questions to Denoir would be:

1.It looks like some parts of the video had them firing blanks, what the hell was that on the muzzle? Looks like a BFA.

2. Do you guys like to make a belt filled with tracers just to watch the lightshow? biggrin.gif (As seen in the video)

3. What was going on in the video? Was it some kind of MG course? Or was it regular training? Because I don't think that any army would have a section (squad) made up entirely of machine gunners.

Tyler

<s>I'm not really sure but two things:

1st it looked like some of them may have hit the sidewalk-like looking thing behind it instead of dirt, and 2nd tracer rounds might be lighter than regular bullets(I don't know just a guess)</s>

never mind

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Jan. 18 2003,03:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1.It looks like some parts of the video had them firing blanks, what the hell was that on the muzzle? Looks like a BFA.<span id='postcolor'>

The muzzle extension:

lsa.jpg

is called "lösskjutningsanordning" and is used when firing blanks (usually "träplugg" - wood based blanks). It prevents the wooden chips from going in a straight line and potentially hurting somebody. I don't have a clue what it is called in english.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2. Do you guys like to make a belt filled with tracers just to watch the lightshow? biggrin.gif (As seen in the video)

3. What was going on in the video? Was it some kind of MG course? Or was it regular training? Because I don't think that any army would have a section (squad) made up entirely of machine gunners.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know about that video. I can only tell you that it doesn't represent the Swedish in any way. It looks more like some kids managed to talk their CO into allowing them to shoot a video. I don't know. Everyting is entirely off. The firing positions are wrong. The movements are wrong etc. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

I think thats his 'I've got two rather large guns at my disposal/Kill crazy' face.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Jan. 18 2003,04:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think thats his 'I've got two rather large guns at my disposal/Kill crazy' face.<span id='postcolor'>

kids these days...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">is called "lösskjutningsanordning" and is used when firing blanks (usually "träplugg" - wood based blanks). It prevents the wooden chips from going in a straight line and potentially hurting somebody. I don't have a clue what it is called in english.<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, ok.

BTW, BFA = Blank Firing Attachment.

Wood based blanks? Never heard of them. Our blanks are elongated 7.62 cases that are crimped at the end, nothing but hot gas comes out of the barrel.

Those guns in that pic look pretty abused. What is that 'sling' type thing under the reciever? Is that for holding ammo?

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Jan. 18 2003,05:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wood based blanks? Never heard of them. Our blanks are elongated 7.62 cases that are crimped at the end, nothing but hot gas comes out of the barrel.<span id='postcolor'>

The bullet is replaced by a small wooden "plug". It simulates the recoil much better then regular blanks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Those guns in that pic look pretty abused. What is that 'sling' type thing under the reciever? Is that for holding ammo?<span id='postcolor'>

Um, no, its for collecting the ejected cases. I thought you Canadians also used the FN MAG.

Edit: I'm assuming you mean this:

lsa2.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I thought you Canadians also used the FN MAG.

<span id='postcolor'>

We do.

We just don't use brass bags.

Now that I look harder, I see that it is a bag. The seam around it made it look like a big 'sling'.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Jan. 18 2003,06:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We just don't use brass bags.<span id='postcolor'>

Really? We are required to do it by law during peace time if we are not at special firing ranges. Pollution issues, I think.

I see.

When we are at a firing range using live ammo, we pick up the brass and link to be recycled. When we use blanks in the field we never bother to pick them up, unless there is a big pile of them.

Well, you are lucky then. You see that bag isn't as attachable as it should be. Once in a while it falls off - often while firing on the move.

You can guess what the poor machine gunner and his loader have to do for a couple of hours after that happens smile.gif

Looking for ejected cases is one of the more common occupations in the Swedish military wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chaztheducky @ Jan. 18 2003,07:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">MAJOR SUCKAGE! mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

what? the short movie was okay. but its all show

Damn man, it looks like one of those bullets that hit the road fly all the way into the woods behind it.

What a pathetic way to die, being hit by a bullet that landed 10m before you...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 18 2003,06:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Really? We are required to do it by law during peace time if we are not at special firing ranges. Pollution issues, I think.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, lock me up and throw away the key - because I am a criminal!!! smile.gif

I ejected thousands of brass cartridges during my time as an enlisted man and no one ever said a word...

Guess this law is taken more seriously at some regiments than at others. I never thought about it then, but come to think of it now, the pollution of the ground must be quite extensive...

Why not have the shells a little smaller on the inside and have some iron in the shell then u could just sweep a magnet over it to collect spent rounds biggrin.gif

BTW what this guns proper name

gpmg.jpg

Its usually called the gpmg General.Purpose.Machine.Gun

There also the lsw(lightsupport weapon) which is a sa80 with a longer barrel and bipod.

L86LSW.jpg

It would of been better IMO if they had made it so the magazine was insert sideways or even a belt but then u would have the problem of the barrrel overheating and it can`t be changed on that gun i think.

lol come to think of it,it would look very similar to the default guns in NS wow.giftounge.gif

I was playing the Steel Beasts demo, and I was firing off all the weapons during training. I saw some defininte ricochets when I hit a T-80 or T-72 with my .50 or Coax from a long range, but to my suprise, even the APFSDS rounds occasionally ricocheted off T-80's at long range! wow.gif

I even fired a few into the ground, and I was very suprised to see them hit the ground, then fly upwards off into the sky. I would think that such a dense and heavy round would just dig itself into the dirt, but I was obviously wrong sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ Jan. 18 2003,16:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW what this guns proper name

gpmg.jpg

Its usually called the gpmg General.Purpose.Machine.Gun<span id='postcolor'>

It's original name is FN MAG. In the Swedish military it's called KSP 58.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Jan. 18 2003,16:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yes, good sense of responsibility, keep the swedske skog (swedish forest? wink.gif) clean and keep recycling even during times of war.  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It would be "Svensk skog" smile.gif

And the brass cases are to be collected during peace time only smile.gif

Pah, dont believe Denoir, he is lying to put the swedish army in good light.

But we all heard to stories of swedish soldiers in the balkans who had to admit to their superiors that they lost some empty bullets. Most of them confessed in tears that they were searching the ground for hours but the one bullet did not redissapear. Of course the swedish are little tollerant concerning ecology issues and those soldiers in many cases were executed right away and left to dry in the afternoon sun.

Many germans came home from missions and told the stories of desperate swedish soldiers willing to invest great amounts of money for an empty bullet. The empty-bullet-black-market in Srebrenicza was often the last chance to safe the life of a desperate swedish soldier.

I think somewheres about 1:23 in the movie, I think someone was using a C6. Im not sure. Thanks for the answers though.