DSabre

Naval Legends (WIP)

It's nice to see some support craft. My great grandfather served on a cargo ship, not a liberty class but this is close enough, and it's neat to see them getting love as well. Also is that the HMS Dido I see in the background?

What kind of ship did he serve on? For a cargo/support vessel this one is quite heavily armed too. A few of them will take out a lone destroyer or careless aeroplanes.

Indeed, that's the Dido with it's AI captain making it go in circles in the background.

(Comment moved)

None taken. I don't want this topic in my thread. That is all. Said a few times over the last few pages but did not make clear in my answer to mankyle. So my own fault. If you look on the other pages you will see : )

• Like 1

Since the freighter went so well I decided to try and refurbish my other boats.

Subchaser looks alright, the Speedboat did not convince me yet.

lpkHnmL.png

Speedboat

upb3vzS.png

Subchaser

The gun is from Thomas Beerens U577, bollards, anchor and dingie are from his Foxhound.

With bits and pieces of the carrier textures it helps to blend in with the other boats.

Mast and other round shapes were poly reduced a little too, since most round shapes in the other models are hex or octagonal.

*** edit ***

blends in quite well

RRYJDiC.jpg

o78L3hl.jpg

Edited by DSabre
  • Like 7

On 3/6/2021 at 4:03 PM, DSabre said:

What kind of ship did he serve on? For a cargo/support vessel this one is quite heavily armed too. A few of them will take out a lone destroyer or careless aeroplanes.

Indeed, that's the Dido with it's AI captain making it go in circles in the background.

He served on the USS Ara, a Crater class. 

Interesting, Crater class looks very similar to the Liberty, at least to me. Would you happen to know what the differences are?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DSabre said:

Interesting, Crater class looks very similar to the Liberty, at least to me. Would you happen to know what the differences are?

Nothing too noticable aside from some structural differences here and there. It could be more of an internal difference or perhaps slight hull changes. 

In light of that the ship will get a generic name. Perhaps Cargo Ship or Freighter.

That allows us to use it as Liberty class, Crater class or any similar freighter.

pzL3y0J.jpg

Some progress on the small boats:

Um4wQEy.jpg

Thomas Beerens' PT Boat https://skfb.ly/6VYWM

lqTg0wh.jpg

My own E-Boat - now reworked halfway. Exchanged armored bridge with standard version

oNxU0M8.jpg

Submarine Chaser - smaller windows, smaller + poly reduced depth charges

pXuqy7F.png

Work has begun on another small ship - a Flower Class Corvette.

Some models just don't work out. Took ages to get even that far - so it could take a while.

Edited by DSabre
  • Like 7

Awesome progress. I generally don't care much for cargo ships but you managed to make it look interesting. I look forward to playing with them and the other WIP ships in the future.

It's quite the battleship actually. Was even thinking of strapping a rocket propelled hurricane to it.

Some progress on another aspect:

A recent update made torpedos take mass of the ship into account. Larger ships could resist several hits.

- why not expand on that a little?

zf4ZEsI.jpg
Ships may start to list after a torpedo hit and will actually start losing floatation.

a3CrRLX.jpg

Depending on chance the combined damage will either destroy the ship

- or it will sink from listing and ultimately capsizing or taking too much water

QGMAFUe.jpg

Also adding random chance for keeling over when a boat goes down

ztACKlr.jpg

ApeQqra.jpg

3kzHgc3.jpg

Of course it will also affect performance of the ship:

The port side on this cruiser for instance will be defenseless against near surface vehicles till it manages to turn around.

In some instances engine power is also lost.

There is no easy way to judge which side the boat was hit on.

So it will be random, with a slight chance of multiple hits reducing list even.

Otherwise boats would always list to the same side which would be immersion breaking.

Edited by DSabre
  • Like 9

There is no easy way to judge which side the boat was hit on

Does the eventhandler "HIT" not help you to determine if a torpedo hit you and on which side did it?

PD: Great mod. Keep it up.

Only the torpedos do cause list, so there is no problem knowing what weapon hit the ship.

It was more about deciding if port or starboard side were hit.

After some testing it is actually more immersive when it is entirely random though.

I have realised that the center of gravities for the ships were too low. In a sharp turn the boats lean inwards instead of outwards. That also amplifies listing a lot, so I may have to redo all CoGs  by moving them upwards about 10 meters.

Bit tricky because they then have a tendency to topple over. Seems it does work better when CoG is changed ingame instead of the model, weird.

For anyone who wants to play around with this, you can use this in the ingame console while driving a ship:

_cogposition  = getCenterOfMass vehicle player; 
_cogpositionchangevalue = _cogposition select 0;
_cogpositionchangevalue = _cogpositionchangevalue + 2;   
_cogposition set [0, _cogpositionchangevalue];  
vehicle player setCenterOfMass [_cogposition, 5];

This queries the actual position of the CoG in the players vehicle. Then changes it relatively to the original position. That is important because the CoGs do not coincide with model space center. The above will affect starboard/port weight distribution.

_cogposition  = getCenterOfMass vehicle player; 
_cogpositionchangevalue = _cogposition select 1;
_cogpositionchangevalue = _cogpositionchangevalue - 10;   
_cogposition set [1, _cogpositionchangevalue];  
vehicle player setCenterOfMass [_cogposition, 5];

This will move CoG upwards, 

finaly with "select 2" / "[2,..."  it will affect bow/aft weight distribution

you can try 

vehicle player setmass ... 

where typical values are 25 000 000 for a carrier or 1 500 000 for a destroyer

Edited by DSabre

gqeZvFw.jpg

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/elco-80ft-pt-e759cb35865c480f8db77c91020e8f6c

FMG0Mwl.jpg

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/foxhound-58b5d1674e1f4bd39bbfd4a71b8cef77

WwrbEq9.jpg

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/liberty-ship-wip-2f1bfdf0381b4b88bce837c99c7b4bbf

bJxklYI.jpg

v. 0.020.2

addedd PT Boat

added Foxhound

added generic Cargo Ship

added static Enterprise Turrets

added torpedo spawn object

modified torpedo script

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Love your work and dedication Sab, thank you for ongoing effort and time. :thumbsup:

Models looks awesome, one of the best mods out there.

• Like 3

Thank you. Always happy to hear feedback like that. I would mod things anyway but am growing more reluctant to share - so comments like yours do have an impact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2021 at 6:25 AM, Dogone said:

Love your work and dedication Sab, thank you for ongoing effort and time. :thumbsup:

Models looks awesome, one of the best mods out there.

Second that thought!!!

v. 0.023

added HMS Dido

added RM Zara

added RM Vincenzo

added large coastal artillery

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi there, apologies if youve answered this before. Is there a way while play as the turrent/turret seat on a ship to elevate the guns. Right now all the guns (except AA) are fixed in the same horizontal plane

Yes. It is explained on the steam workshop page:

"...Submarine dive control and artillery elevation are default Arma game mechanics. Check your key mappings."

• Thanks 1

DEV Blog

Making carrier compositions will be easier in future. Going to add walkable platforms that can be used to make the flight deck usable:

8MMcACU.jpg

They will come in two flavours: visible for setting up, and invisible for later use (simply double click and change).

q0SVK6K.jpeg

OsjICKX.jpg

• Like 6

Me likey flavour's !!  , another Arma community member that keeps on giving......the mod is great Sab, but your are Legend. :thumbsup:

Cant wait to get them Zero's on that Akagi deck.

• Thanks 1