DSabre

Flying Legends

They're not entirely stopped. Just stuck till I have a plan how to continue.

... It's more about adding details to existing stuff these days:

HpIa1VE.gif   ZHE72am.png

Experimental Randomized Exhaust Stack Flames, Hurricane Interior,

• Like 4

90888FA01474DBB4628F7F73126FD737D1F03C4C

v 0.020

- added Yak-3

- added some british ordnance

- added random exhaust stack flameout

- added inverse flight engine cutoff

- updated FW190 fuselage

- updated Hurricane interior

- removed some funtions, streamlined functions

- content vaulting/sunsetting some texture options

- content vaulting/sunsetting Hurricane Spotter Plane

- content vaulting/sunsetting FW190A4

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2B556562D1FF8C0F8A49FA235EAB5F3E50C24FBC

v 0.021

- added DH.98
- added RP3 Rockets
- updated Bf109e exterior
- updated Hawker Hurricane
- updated some funtions

(The DH.98 profited from the Hurricane interior update and that somehow made me finish the exterior, so here it is)

Edited by DSabre
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Sabre, might you be willing to share the texture template for the Mosquito? Thanks!

Hi, sure - but not yet. It is a very early version and the UV map is likely to change.

Might take a while as I have started another project and there is still the half finished Tempest waiting.

sAepw6D.png  pwPC6I0.png  hmGhaO7.png

New project: Westland Lysander. Not the most accurate model but it is a fun flyer.

• Like 11

Holy cow, what a mod!

Sorry if you already wrote about it, but was wondering: is the JU-86 still in an alpha state? I am having trouble getting it to take off: removed all the obstacles in Altis airport, and even a 2 km run will not get the plane faster than 121 km/h. 

Love how you even included quirks in starting the engines. Really makes the flying feel different from the modern jets.

Thanks, yes sometimes it's the small things. Everything is (pre) alpha state (perpetual alpha).

Push the Ju86 nose down so the tail comes up.

Also some progress on Lysander and Tempest

v6WyYqX.jpg  BBhQps3.jpg

(work in progress - just incase that was not clear -  map is IFAs Staszov)

• Like 6

On 2/12/2021 at 7:57 PM, DSabre said:

Thanks, yes sometimes it's the small things. Everything is (pre) alpha state (perpetual alpha).

Push the Ju86 nose down so the tail comes up.

Also some progress on Lysander and Tempest

(work in progress - just incase that was not clear -  map is IFAs Staszov)

Hello! I just found your mod on steam and I was wondering when the Tempest model will be ready? Great mod btw its the only one which provides the most WWII aircraft, keep it up! Even if it doesnt have a cockpit I would love to see it in game anyway, just as to add to the scenery.

• Like 1

Well when it is done. Sometimes a plane takes me a week (FW190, Ju86) sometimes a year (DH98), sometimes I never get there (B-26 and dozen others).

• Like 4

The Westland Lysander above. Perhaps the Storch on the axis side. Not even started and it may fail.

There is a list of the planned aircraft at the beginning of the thread which is updated often.

v 0.022a (simple physics simulation update)

- various small tweaks (bf109e top speed, hurricane temp gauge)

- added engine temp controller

engine overheating will damage engine up to 50%

- added throttle limiter

when engine is not warm enough, throttle is limited

- when pushing throttle forward to fast torque builds up and pilot will fail to counter

slowly increase throttle to prevent this. This effect is extreme on ground and in particular for bf109 

(simulating non finnish pilots here obviously)

- added engine fuel starvation controller (negative G) 

2 seconds of strong negative G will stop engine for most RAF aircraft

- added random chance of engine fire on startup for 20% engine damage (1/100)

*** for today and perhaps tomorrow debug is enabled. that means lots of systemchat spam for testing purposes ***

*** only the Hurricane is equipped with a temperature gauge for now, wip ***

Details/Guide:

7XVlT11.jpg

Engine overheating will damage engine up to 50% (Temp value of 195). Engine starts to overheat above 80% throttle. It cools down below that value.

On ground engine starts building up heat and can not cool down except if you switch engine off. Leaving aircraft resets temperature value to default 20.

You will need a certain temperature for take off as throttle is limited below certain temperatures. Full power can be achieved above 70 temperature units.

BV8GSn0.jpg

negative G maneuver will starve engine of fuel (some RAF aircraft)

WsOcXXP.jpg

upon a certain threshold -  engine will shut off (VelocityModelSpaceZ > 8 for more than 2 seconds).

6h7Brum.jpg

Either pull up a little after pushing down nose, push nose down in small steps (keyboard) or gently (control stick/wheel)

You can also invert aircraft and maintain positive G forces to prevent fuel starvation.

Do this as well for aileron and barrel rolls:  be sure to maintain positive G forces when you can (VelocityModelSpaceZ < 0)

• Like 6

Thank you very much for the updates DSabre, excellent work - I never thought we'd see a mozzie in arma3!

Really looking forward to the Tempest and Spitfires - if they make it.

P.S. does anybody know if there's a map out there with a ww2 "Class A" style airfield?

• Like 2

Hey Sabre, thanks so much for all the great work you do.  

I had a question regarding the Secret Weapons Liveries.  It seems that that specific mod was taken off of steam workshop.  I was building quite a few missions that used the skins on that pack, and was just wondering if there was an alternate place to download your liveries pack for secret weapons?

Thank you

Yes. There is a secret weapons thread here on the forums. There is a link there

guzBSff.jpg    VbWrtJg.jpg

Experimental Free Fall PhysX, Pro Pilot Selector

v 0.022b
- more temp control feature tweaks
- temp and engine management currently only available for some of the aircraft
- added pro pilot mode lever (some aircraft)
- added gauges, warning lights and animated cooler for some aircraft
- experimental bomb physx (Mosquito Ordnance)
- MG15 scale fixed. Now all sights are off. Will take some time to update

An interesting part is the experimental bomb physx. It attaches the vanilla free fall model to a physx model. Engine limitations make this tricky.

• Like 2

Hi Sab, love the work you are doing with this mod.

However, might I suggest a development version separate from this release? We use your Flying Legends mod on a weekly basis and the latest update with the engine overheating and the global chat messages is problematic for us, and now the gun sight issue.

Also please consider a way to disable those features through a CBA setting or something like that, not sure how the engine overheating will affect the AI's performance with these planes either.

Thank you!

Glad to hear. Well this is the public alpha/development version and there won't be any stable version ever (see description).

It's a random chaotic modders mod. Main purpose is my own entertainment.

Anyway, digressing. The patch notes above should tell you how to disable the features (2nd screenshot).

G'day @DSabre,

The new Mozzie is a great bird.

I have been experimenting with it and the other planes and Drongos Air Operations mod. Your planes work very well with the attack protocols Drongo has programed. The only issue that I have found is that when you tell one of your aircraft to RTB to re-arm, the Mozzie lands safely but the Mustang and Hurricane crash into the runway landing lights. I recall you said you had removed the ai landing feature from the planes. Does the Mosquito have ai landing enabled? Would you ever consider re-instating AI landing to the other aircraft in the mod.

Looking forward to the Tempest and the Spitfire if you decide to release them.

Hey Sab, checked out the pro pilot mode. Works well it seems, although it doesn't seem to be an option on the Mustang. Might add that to your notes for the next patch.

Also just discovered the bomb sight on the mosquito, very cool.

Thank you,

- Did not remove AI landing feature. Sadly there is no such thing. I simply stopped trying to bend flight model and geo lod so much that AI could land - while crippling everything else.

The proper solution would be for BIS to have AI monitor actual airspeed - and compare it with the existing stall speed and landing speed config parameters (which are ignored by the AI).

- Patch notes mention pro mode is only available on some aircraft. Planes without are defaulted to Rookie mode. (Mustang does not have it's belly radiator modeled yet)

Edited by DSabre
  • Like 1

v 0.022c

- added pro pilot mode to Yak-3 and Bf 109f/g/k

- slightly enlarged fuel tank for 109s and Yak

- after startup, give the engine a few seconds before applying throttle

- removed dev chat messages

• Like 6

Lovely to see this mode appear on more planes, I took a spin in a Gustav and it's honestly a lot of fun in game. I don't know how to explain it other than to say it feels like the plane carries mass when it goes into maneuvers.

It makes a difference when one can't go into full throttle and be in the air within moments of starting the engine, it's an overlooked feature thus far and very nice to see working in game.
Great job and keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Could you clarify a bit about the "pro pilot" toggle? Is it related to the temperature/throttle stuff, does not having it enabled just disable those features and have the planes act like they did before? Or what does it do?