Luft08

Getting AI to react more naturally

I have been working on a mission and noticed that the AI do not react as expected. I was hunkered down at the edge of a forest and about 500 meters away was an APC with a soldier standing outside. I fired a shoulder missile and missed hitting a building behind them.  Instead of reacting they stood there like they were watching a parade.

I have already attached a firedNear  event handler to the units.  I'm looking at the explosion event handler but that requires that the unit actually take damage.

Is there any way to make the AI not just sit there like johnny bench when they are obviously being assaulted?

Maybe you can use the FiredMan event handler and reveal firing unit for all units that the projectile passes. Or to simplify the last part, reveal firing unit to all inside a certain perimeter (and maybe in the firing unit’s general direction).

• Like 1

The AI is pretty much deaf, and firedNear having a very limited range, it won't help.

As @engima suggests, firedMan is your best bet - and it allows you to track the projectile, meaning you can wait for the rocket to explode and alert everyone around.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll play around with them and see what I can do. BTW the Arma community is great! Thanks for all of the help.

The 'AI Reactions' was one of the biggest glaring omissions from the OFP series. Id recommend the Lambs AI mod as its the newest/freshest of the AI mods and I know reactions to explosions is one of its listed features. Im not sure as I run my own scripts for such but they're just too messy to release. 

• Like 1

Thanks Gunter, I have bookmarked that cache of information!