haleks

Edit roads mid-range textures

Hi guys!

I'm stuck on a little something I'm preparing for the Derelict mod : I'm trying to get rid of roads entirely. Or rather, the idea is to hide them and place some vegetation to make them near indistinguishable.

So far I've managed to edit the textures seen up close by replacing them with transparent ones :

F8D51C8071A79C5AC59FA51854B316855E89EDEA

It looks nice up to a few meters around the camera, but beyond that range the old midrange texture remains visible. Another example with concrete road :

Spoiler

5C09C85A1F0558DE0C663B3062EC3867D5943983

691C9C22F512DD4452F2A6C5444B4388BFDB87DB

Question is : does anyone know the names or the location of those textures? As far as I can tell, they aren't in the roads_f addon file. I don't think it's possible to change those textures from any config replacement either, sadly...

• Like 1

From what I know:

When on close range roads are "objects" with real models, at a distance it's not.  It's part of the terrains map satmap, so no chance to change it without altering and regenerating the terrain layers.

• Like 1

That is what I was afraid of...

So basically it can't be done without TB, and it would be a PITA from what I can see (unless editing the layers.cfg is enough?).

Might change my plans then, and simply add cracks as clutter on roads or something. :/ 

Nope.  Layers.cfg will not help you, in this case. It's higher level terrain editing (satmap), which requires TB to be involved.
Have you replaced textures only? I mean , if you did, it does not get rid of the actual grass cutting roads "objects"  , so you still can not place generated clutter on top of it. You will have to replace all used road models, with empty ones (empty dummy files and a proper $PREFIX$). Then via map config overwrite , choose what type of clutter you want to place on top of surface that is used under the roads.

Update:
mmm now that I think of it, if you change the default surface config (CfgSurfaces) that is used under the roads to exactly the same as the surface next to it, it will blend a bit more (there still will be a satmap color bleed tho)

@haleks

Hi,

Sorry to revisit this old topic, but I am currently working on a project and I think you could help me. I'm working on the deep transformation of an existing map and I cannot find a solution to hide the roads, or make them invisible. I understand that you achieved this by removing the texture from the roads, or replacing it with an empty texture. Would it be possible to have the chance to use your work ? Would you please share your work ?

Thank you in advance for your answer. 🙂

Hi I am very interested in this mod? Did you maange to tackle the problem?

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, dadax said:

Hi I am very interested in this mod? Did you maange to tackle the problem?

There's a link in the first post. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Harzach said:

There's a link in the first post. 

That's a link to the Derelict Mod, but that specific feature didn't made it in since it causes visual issues with satmaps. 😉 

@_Eralorn_: Here's a link to the files with replacement textures : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r5gj29kRSWR0tbEP7b1jOAh4m4jXdbHq/view?usp=sharing

But keep in mind that the problems detailed in the OP remain unsolved, it probably won't look good...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, haleks said:

That's a link to the Derelict Mod

Well, he said he was interested in the mod 😉

• Like 1

There is no proper way to remove all roads as the roads are also painted on the satellite image that is drawn at long distance. 

"Overhauling" maps by removing stuff in editor is not the proper way to do these things (there is no proper way to do such in editor) and ends up breaking AI big time. 

If you people want new maps, Id recommend starting from scratch to build your own terrain instead of try to hack out existing ones in ways that will break game mechanics and make your game experience worse.