Reezo

Making player-thrown grenades a bit deadlier in Single Player

I realize this is mostly for me as I am playing through the Vanilla campaign but I noticed that both hand grenades and 40mm rounds that I explode at less than 5m from targets are not as effective as I would like them to be. Other grenades (the ones thrown to my face) are actually very good at killing me.

So I developed this script, currently under development and which I shall

post soon.. stay tuned.

It's kind of working out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello there Reezo !

I don't know if this will help you , or if you want generally any help , but you can also check here :

Spoiler

//	iniplayerlocal
player addEventHandler ["Fired",{

params ["_unit", "_weapon", "_muzzle", "_mode", "_ammo", "_magazine", "_projectile", "_gunner"];

if(_weapon == "Throw")then{
		//	systemChat str _magazine;
		if(_magazine == "handgrenade")then{
			[_projectile]spawn{
				_projectile = _this select 0;
				uisleep 2;
				_explosion = "IEDLandSmall_Remote_Ammo" createVehicle (_projectile modelToWorld [0,0,0]);
				_explosion setDamage 1;
				deleteVehicle _projectile;
			};
		};
   };
}];

This way it will change the explosion with another like :

Spoiler

//________________	GF_EXO_Ammo_Large	________________ 

GF_EXO_Ammo_Large = [

//	Large
	"Bo_Mk82",
	"Bo_GBU12_LGB",
	"Bomb_03_F",
	"Bomb_04_F",
	"BombCluster_01_Ammo_F",
	"BombCluster_02_Ammo_F",
	"BombCluster_03_Ammo_F"
];

//________________	GF_EXO_Ammo_Medium	________________ 

GF_EXO_Ammo_Medium = [

//	Medium
	"ATMine_Range_Ammo",
	"SatchelCharge_Remote_Ammo",
	"IEDLandBig_Remote_Ammo",
	"IEDLandSmall_Remote_Ammo",
	"IEDUrbanBig_Remote_Ammo",
	"IEDUrbanSmall_Remote_Ammo",
	"M_NLAW_AT_F",
	"M_Scalpel_AT",
	"M_AT",
	"M_PG_AT",
	"M_Air_AA",
	"M_SPG9_HE"
];

//________________	GF_EXO_Ammo_Small	________________ 

GF_EXO_Ammo_Small = [	

//	Small
	"APERSBoundingMine_Range_Ammo",
	"APERSMine_Range_Ammo",
	"APERSTripMine_Wire_Ammo",
	"DemoCharge_Remote_Ammo"
];

- Just trying to help , in fact you might already have complete it !

I'll be waiting to see the progress !  :wave:

Hi there! Thanks for the hint, that could be a way but I don't want to head in that direction: I wanted the least obtrusive way to just add a little oomph (= killing power) to the grenades I throw, so the mod I wrote just basically follow the thrown grenade, verifies visibility and cover from all potential targets in the kill radius + shrapnel zones and adds a very small coefficient to the damaged unit, based on that.

I believe this to be be the least obtrusive way and it obviously is something that I developed for Vanilla Single Player as - if you use other mods in multiplayer - my guess is this has been already more than addressed by bigger mod packs that everybody uses out there (especially given the amount of Coop vs AI that is played in ArmA 3).

Grenades that were thrown AT ME by the AI were perfectly fine, .. even their aim is remarkable eheh so nothing to adjust on that (aka I got killed nicely more than once by thinking "they're never gonna get me in here.. OOPS THEY TOSSED A NADE :))

• Like 1

Pretty cool Reezo, i had to laugh at your video in the beginning where you were showing a grenade and it wasn't

killing the guy upstairs, and the bunny came in and you made that sound 😄

Overall nice work, i use this mod myself for grenades -----> Improved grenades https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413463022

On another note imo, i prefer to have grenades yes definitely kill and clear a small room, but in some instances maim, or injure an enemy so he ends up limping about,

or if you want to go a bit further have an animation where the guy is on the ground on his back, or side in pain, if he has a faq be able to heal themselves

and if theres a medic in the squad or group then you should see them get aid.

I use alot of RGN grenades and with this mod they pack a punch, RGO's are good if you want to clear and area but dont be surprised if someone is still alive in some situations.

That's great, thanks @Gunter Severloh! Glad you liked what I did. Again, I did try and be the least invasive to the system, only adding a bit more damage to the Vanilla system. Yes it could be taken further with animations and a more elaborate injury system but I don't know what the Arma 3 system already does to calculate what has been hit and how so I didn't want to throw in more data. I've got to say (as you noticed by the guy prone who only got injured but didn't die) that so far it works and it's the least amount of code I could put in to bend the Vanilla system just enough for things not to be unrealistic.

The bunny still cracks me up, it's a gem given the sped up audio/video of that example eheh It happened for real, it's in one of my recent streams.. even with all the possible coincidences, that marksman hiding on the first floor took 2/3 grenades and still did not die.. it was my AI that killed him. Facepalm!

• Like 2