darkxess

Custom Group Color

Hi, I am trying to get my groups (Alpha), (Bravo), (Charlie), etc to be specific group colours. Ie Yellow, Blue, Red, and so on... 

I had this working once, some years back but I forgot how to do it, it is something like this that I have now but doesn't seem to work so obviously I'm missing something:

call{(group this) setGroupId ["Alpha"]; this assignTeam "Yellow"}

I am wanting it to work online and so when the player dies it will still work with whatever group he is in.

Thanks

Just to clarify in Arma terminology a group is the container/controller of a bunch of units, a squad. 

A team is a subsection of the group that the group leader can assign using the radio menus. These are colorcoded like you say above. 

With that said what exactly are you trying to achieve and how are the colors going to be used? 

@mrcurry yes I know that mate, but that is for AI groups, its for a MP server when you join a squad Alpha, Bravo, Charlie etc and upon you joining you are given a color 

automatically representing that group. This can not be done without scripting, I had done it before but I have forgot how and lost the mission files I had which had them on.

@darkxess Well players and AI both belong to groups.

To assign color to a group just do so in the editor with setVariable and then where you display that color just read the variable with getVariable. Remember, groups have a variable scope too. 

As to how to display that color that's up to you. It's like you say, the game doesn't have a built in feature for it. 

Using drawIcon3D for floating markers over people's heads is pretty popular. 

For something only the player can see you'll want to look into dialogs and their use with cutRsc. 

If you just want something to copy let me know and I can post something I'm currently using. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 8:43 AM, darkxess said:

and upon you joining you are given a color 

automatically representing that group

Are you possibly talking about custom group icons?

addGroupIcon

setGroupIconParams

How exactly was custom color displayed?

Other than this, team colors or some custom draw icon there is no support in Arma for custom group colors that i can think of.

Do you mean setting the Marta group colors in High Command / subordinates?  Like when HC groups have been set up, some groups default to squad colors, but the colors can't be changed in the same way team colors can?  hcSetGroup

_hcleader HCsetgroup [_group, _groupName, _groupColor];

Edited by opusfmspol
found the example I was looking for

@mrcurry, @Larrow, @opusfmspol sorry for the confusion, you know the hex marker on players the same side of you, well by default they are green yes?

I found a way before as mentioned to make all the players on one squad to be of one colour, you can do this with STHUD, I'm not sure about other mods. But you

will see players with different coloured hex's on there player icon depending on what squad they are in. Hopefully, that makes sense 😄

13 hours ago, darkxess said:

I found a way before as mentioned to make all the players on one squad to be of one colour,

I do not believe there is such a simple vanilla way to change the hex color. If there was then BI themselves would have used it rather than BIS_fnc_EXP_camp_IFF ( see this function on how to setup your own ) which uses drawIcon3D.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Larrow said:

I do not believe there is such a simple vanilla way to change the hex color. If there was then BI themselves would have used it rather than BIS_fnc_EXP_camp_IFF ( see this function on how to setup your own ) which uses drawIcon3D.

There was, it worked for me before like I said I lost the method on how I did it as it was an old mission long deleted. Oh well, if there is no way now then it doesn't matter, thanks anyway 🙂

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 10:32 AM, darkxess said:

@mrcurry, @Larrow, @opusfmspol sorry for the confusion, you know the hex marker on players the same side of you, well by default they are green yes?

I found a way before as mentioned to make all the players on one squad to be of one colour, you can do this with STHUD, I'm not sure about other mods. But you

will see players with different coloured hex's on there player icon depending on what squad they are in. Hopefully, that makes sense 😄

When I go in the editor, the default color is white.  It becomes green when STHUD is used (not sure about other mods as well).  And with STHUD, using the assignTeam command will change the icon color.  So maybe you were using that mod in your prior mission.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 12:32 PM, darkxess said:

Vanilla default is white. STUI default is green.

With STUI, you can set the color of a unit's group indicator by assigning them to a team. 

It appears that changing the group indicator color involves a config, and so requires a mod like STUI.