Cee-a90119224ca82d14

New to Arma3 envirorment, help will be appreciated.

Hello all!

My name is Cee, and I've decided to move myself for awhile to the Arma3 just for the time being and I'm excited to get to know others around the community. I have been programming for about 7 years now, and I'm looking iif anyone could give me some advice on how to get started. I'd really appreciate any feedback and any questions you all can answer.

Question 1:

When making a mission, how far are you allowed to go within modification, before you have to start marking things as mods, in other words, at what point are clients required to manually install mods. Are great example of this would be the AltisLife framework, this doesn't require mods, but if i decided to make my own roleplay framework, how would I know when things 'need to be manually installed for clients to join'.

Question 2:

If i make my own mission, will it show on the gamemode list in multiplayer? ( Just like KOTH, Roleplay, etc... )

Question 3: 

Why doesn't arma3 support auto-workshop downloading for clients, when joining server?

Question 4: 

Relative to Q1, but, if i whipped up lets say, a slot machine model and imported it, why would clients have to manually download this to join? Why not automatically download?

Thanks for your precious time reading/answering my questions. Your feedback and answers will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again.

Hi and welcome to ArmA3 scripting 🙂 

On getting started: The pinned topics in this forum should give a good introduction. Having programming experience will ofc make it easier. The 3den Editor is a very good tool for making missions. You can basically create an entire mission with either no scripting at all or at least only a few lines.

4 hours ago, Cee-a90119224ca82d14 said:

Question 1:

When making a mission, how far are you allowed to go within modification, before you have to start marking things as mods, in other words, at what point are clients required to manually install mods. Are great example of this would be the AltisLife framework, this doesn't require mods, but if i decided to make my own roleplay framework, how would I know when things 'need to be manually installed for clients to join'.

As soon as you have to work with a config which is not achieveable with the description.ext (mission config). Let's assume you want to make a new GUI. No problem for the description.ext so no mod needed. But now you dont like the vanilla a3 buildings and want to change the appearance/model. Now you'd have to make a world config (config.cpp) as it is done in mods. Some config related features can be changed via scripts but that is more of an exception.

Question 2:

If i make my own mission, will it show on the gamemode list in multiplayer? ( Just like KOTH, Roleplay, etc... )

The game type can be defined in the editor. Under Attributes >> Multiplayer >> Type you can choose from a list of supported game types. KOTH is a bit of a special case because it won the Make Arma Not War contest for best multiplayer mission.

Question 3: 

Why doesn't arma3 support auto-workshop downloading for clients, when joining server?

From the launcher it does. The ingame browser is old and honestly really bad. On some occasions it might happen that the hosting community uses a very specific modset which is not available on the steam workshop though.

Question 4: 

Relative to Q1, but, if i whipped up lets say, a slot machine model and imported it, why would clients have to manually download this to join? Why not automatically download?

At some point the mission file will become really big. Models and textures would take up quite a lot of network traffic. Either the server would start lagging for everyone else or it would take hours to download the mission file. Also, the mission file will change from time to time requiering each client to redownload the mission including the modded parts. Seperating configs and missions is a good way to stay flexible.

Hope that helps 😉 

• Like 2