piconavas -ALFHA-

Problem whit Arma 3 performance

Hello, I'm writing this text in order to inform a problem that I had recently with the performance of Arma 3, which is making impossible to play with my clan.
The issue is that I'm playing Arma 3 normally and with no problems, between 45-50 FPS, and sudenly, the FPS drop to 2-3 and it doens't recover, no matter how much time I wait.

This is an example of it: Example
Furthermore, changing the settings to low doens't help. Also, It is not a problem of temperature, RAM or the hard disk, I already checked that.
In addition, this problem doens't apear in other games that I can play in ultra and whitout problems.
Finally, I have a known that has the exact same problem, some times it happens at the same time fot both of us. The only thing that we have in common is the processor.
I will put the features of my computer:
-Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 - 4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs)
-Graphic card: GeForce GTX 1660
-RAM: 12 GB

If anyone knows how to solve this problem, please contact me.

You say you are playing with your clan, so we can assume this is multiplayer?

Do other players report difficulties?

What mission are you playing?

what's your ping to the server?

is the server local to you?

My view distance is set at 1000 metres. The games are multiplayer and only other member of the clan has the same problem. My ping is good enough and the server is on my country.

Interesting issue, I'm willing to follow up on this. Could you answer the following:

- How are your power options in Windows? Balanced power scheme? Could you change it to high performance?

- Can you disable the following CPU power states in your BIOS; C7, C6, C3, etc.

- Is Arma 3 running on a HDD?

I have a server, no mods, and this happens to many players. And know other servers that also have that.

This is not something new or rare... I don't have this, but many have.

Hope A3 don't reach it's end with that problem.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:02 PM, piconavas -ALFHA- said:

1º The power option is set to balanced and I could change it to high performance.

2º It doesn't seem that it can be changed, at least I don't see the option.  

https://imgur.com/Hsr16bD

3º No, it's a normal hard drive.

Okay, I think the problem is pinpointed.

Could you switch Arma 3 over to an SSD? A standard 7200 RPM HDD is not up to the task for Arma III.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, CodePanda said:

Okay, I think the problem is pinpointed.

Could you switch Arma 3 over to an SSD? A standard 7200 RPM HDD is not up to the task for Arma III.

Not true.  It might not give you great FPS but it won't cause framedrops to 2-3fps that don't recover.  I've been running arma of a normal HDD for years now and I'm getting a stable 20 fps, mostly because my processor is lacking to get higher fps. 

• Like 1

@CodePanda a SSD will not help in the irrecoverable FPS drop case, a SSD is mandatory if you want to get rid of stuttering and texture clipping.

@piconavas -ALFHA- of course "changing the settings to low doens't help", ! As a rule with Arma3, with a "recommended" level config, lowering the presets to "LOW" is not a bad idea and can be counterproductive.

In the past, this kind of issue has been reported on the Arma3 bug tracker site and after a while have been solved.

Since then, I have not encountered this kind of problem except in the case of mod conflicts and scripts issues.

So before sending an entry on the bug tracker, I will suggest you to play "vanilla" MP missions such as the official Warlords missions without any 3rd party mod/addon/script and come back here to share the results of the experiments.

I think I solve it. Two weeks ago I uninstalled Arma 3, with all the mods, and I installed it again. Until now, I have played three games with no issues so I think it is over. Thank all of you for your help.

On 2/29/2020 at 2:41 PM, piconavas -ALFHA- said:

I think I solve it. Two weeks ago I uninstalled Arma 3, with all the mods, and I installed it again. Until now, I have played three games with no issues so I think it is over. Thank all of you for your help.

Sweet, didn't think that could be the cause. Only heard of audio issues involving mod/gamefile corruption. Good it worked out. :-)

On 2/26/2020 at 11:54 AM, oldbear said:

@CodePanda a SSD will not help in the irrecoverable FPS drop case, a SSD is mandatory if you want to get rid of stuttering and texture clipping.
@piconavas -ALFHA-

Fair point, I was going to suggest it could be overheating in case CPU/GPU started throttling down. At least it's sorted!