LSValmont

Turning all map objects into super simple objects in EDEN.

convertedObjects = [];

{
	if (isNil {_x getVariable "preventSimple"}) then {
		private _interiorPositions = [];
		_interiorPositions = [_x] call BIS_fnc_buildingPositions;
		if (count _interiorPositions isEqualTo 0) then {
			if (lightIsOn _x != "ON" && lightIsOn _x != "AUTO") then {
				private _position = getPosWorld _x;
				private _vectorDirUp = [vectorDir _x, vectorUp _x];
				private _model = getModelInfo _x select 1;
				deleteVehicle _x;
				private _simpleObj = createSimpleObject [_model, _position];
				_simpleObj setVectorDirAndUp _vectorDirUp;
				convertedObjects = convertedObjects + [_x];
			};
		};
	};
} forEach (( allMissionObjects "building" - allMissionObjects "StreetLamp" ) select {
	!isClass( configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf _x >> "UserActions" ) &&
	( getArray( configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf _x >> "ladders" ) isEqualTo [] ) 
});

// add this command to the object's init to prevent it from going simple:
// this setVariable ["preventSimple", true];
// use this command to count how many objects were turned into simple objects by the script:
// count convertedObjects;
// for obvious reasons the script will not turn into simple objects the following objects:
// 1) Objects that have interiors 2) Objects that emmit light 3) Objects that have user acctions such as ladders, gates, street barriers etc.

The code above replaces all the mission objects (That are not units/vehicles, have no interiors and/or have no lights) with simple ones. I gain +10 FPS immediately after running that code in GLOBAL turning +2100 objects into simple objects on my reference mission. (The FPS increase will depend on how many objects you've added to your mission via EDEN editor). The reduction in stuttering is notorious. Combine this script with other optimization scripts such as view distance and you will get more additional frames than overclocking your CPU without all the dangers! 😉

Special thanks to  @Larrow

Question for the Arma Gurus: How can I save those results to the mission file so it is those same simple objects right from the start? (Without using such MP resource heavy script).

Thanks

• Thanks 2

The reason it saves so many frames is cause you're essentially making all mission content that inherits from CfgVehicles >> All into simple objects. This would include ai, vehicles, props, the lot. Everything placed in editor and created during runtime is affected.

20 minutes ago, mrcurry said:

The reason it saves so many frames is cause you're essentially making all mission content that inherits from CfgVehicles >> All into simple objects. This would include ai, vehicles, props, the lot. Everything placed in editor and created during runtime is affected.

Any way we could alter this code to not include AIs and player units?

You can do this manually in the Editor...

Just mouse-drag over any and all Objects to select several at once.

(you can also use Ctrl to select/unselect objects as needed also)

Then Right-click on one of those Object (now highlighted) and select "Attributes" from the Menu/List to apply settings to all those at once.

Icon Colors will also change and reflect the current state (red, grey, etc).

Just now, Von Quest said:

Then Right-click on one of those Object (now highlighted) and select "Attributes" from the Menu/List to apply settings to all those at once.

Yes but I noticed that some stuff don't allow that.

3 hours ago, MrCrazyDude115 said:

Any way we could alter this code to not include AIs and player units?

12 hours ago, LSValmont said:

{ 
    private _position = getPosWorld _x;
    private _vectorDirUp = [vectorDir _x, vectorUp _x];
    private _model = getModelInfo _x select 1;
    deleteVehicle _x;
    private _simpleObj = createSimpleObject [_model, _position];  
    _simpleObj setVectorDirAndUp _vectorDirUp;
} forEach allMissionObjects "Building";

That should do the trick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2020 at 9:14 AM, Von Quest said:

I did that to all my objects.

Then I run the command to turn just the objects under allMissionObjects "Building" into simple objects and still 2200 objects were not converted into simple units by the EDEN method compared to the CODE method. So there is an incredible amount of objects that can be turned into simple objects but the option doesn't show on the item's EDEN Attributes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

buildings are already... "simple" though, don't see how it can make that much of a difference.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dedmen said:

buildings are already... "simple" though, don't see how it can make that much of a difference.

Yeah but "Building" also includes most other placed objects not just buildings.

I've modified the code to include only objects that do not have interiors and I gained 5 FPSs still, not as much as originally but 5 from a single script is quite good IMHO.

The problem is that "Building" still included the fences gates, lifting barriers and walls with operable doors that I need to exclude somehow so that players can still use those.

Updated the first post with updated code to exclude light sources from becoming Simple Objects.

I still don't know how to exclude interactive objects such as liftable barriers, fences, doors, ladders etc. but I have set a variable on them to manually prevent objects from going simple: this setVariable ["preventSimple", true];

Maybe detect if an object has certain (or any?) Class Animations entries in its config?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harzach said:

Maybe detect if an object has certain (or any?) Class Animations entries in its config?

And class userAction's ?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Larrow said:

And class userAction's ?

How would you add that to the code?

5 hours ago, LSValmont said:

How would you add that to the code?

_hasActions = isClass( configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf _object >> "UserActions" );
_hasLadders = isArray( configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf _object >> "ladders" );

?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Larrow said:

_hasActions = isClass( configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf _object >> "UserActions" );
_hasLadders = isArray( configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf _object >> "ladders" );

?

Would this work?

forEach allMissionObjects "building" - allMissionObjects "StreetLamp" - allMissionObjects "UserActions" - allMissionObjects "ladders";

19 minutes ago, LSValmont said:

Would this work?

forEach allMissionObjects "building" - allMissionObjects "StreetLamp" - allMissionObjects "UserActions" - allMissionObjects "ladders";

No because they are not mission objects. They are object class members.

Something like...

{

}forEach (( allMissionObjects "building" - allMissionObjects "StreetLamp" ) select{
	( getArray( configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf _x >> "ladders" ) isEqualTo [] ) 
});

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Larrow said:

No because they are not mission objects. They are object class members.

Something like...

{

}forEach (( allMissionObjects "building" - allMissionObjects "StreetLamp" ) select{
});

You are "THE" man  @Larrow (Besides you got your own Arma 3 campaign now! Congrats!)

Updated the first post!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, LSValmont said:

You are "THE" man @Grumpy Old Man! (Besides you got your own Arma 3 campaign now! Congrats!)

Updated the first post!

The post you're quoting is from @Larrow though, I didn't even post in this thread, heh.

Cheers

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

The post you're quoting is from @Larrow though, I didn't even post in this thread, heh.

Cheers

Yeah sorry about that, fixed it! Thanks for the heads up!

PS: Perhaps internally my subconscious believes you both are the same guy under different aliases 😃 =p

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, LSValmont said:

Perhaps internally my subconscious believes you both are the same guy under different aliases

:shhh:😉 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 2/6/2020 at 4:14 AM, LSValmont said:

PS: Perhaps internally my subconscious believes you both are the same guy under different aliases 😃 =p

They are easy to confuse because they are both total sqf ARMA badasses that are super helpful all the time!  😍:respekt:

The only way I can tell them apart is one of them favors the dancing banana...:yay:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4