CUP

Community Upgrade Project - CUP Maps 2.0

CUPREP #0013: New Terrains Release 1.15.0

Alongside CUP's 5th anniversary, we bring another update to Maps 2.0!

Here we are with our first update for Maps 2.0!

In this release we go back to nature with completely new forest compositions and distribution for all forest systems across the map! This is the first step on our journey of transforming Chernarus 2020 and gets us a good running start for more changes to come in the future. There may be some areas here and there that look like tree patches are missing, which may have happened due to the vast volume of vegetation across the map. If you come across any of these it would be most helpful for us to add a ticket to our bugtracker with the Chernarus 2020 project tag!

The new forests were not the only thing to come with this update though, some more minor areas have recieved improvements such as Skalisty Island, Devil's Castle, Rog and Zub Castles. We hope that this demonstrates the kind of improvements you can expect in the future to existing areas of the map that players know and love. In addition to this though there are also a very small handful of new areas for you to discover across the map, the GIF below made by our very own @cyruz gives a little teaser to some of them.

A short reminder that the CUP team is always on the lookout for talented modders to help with the maintenance and growth of CUP, particularly with Maps 2.0 which we hope to eventually expand to more than just Chernarus 2020, if you might be tempted feel free to come chat to us on our discord.

As always changelogs are on both our downloads page and contained within the download on steam.

Have Fun, and Bye for now!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 14

Thanks for the the new map CUP Team it's a real beauty!

Gonna have to remake all my cherno missions again, hope all the big-timers do too 😉 

Love it \m/ \m/

• Like 2

Many thanks to @-ben- and CUP team for this outstanding map, to my mind by far the best reworking of the beloved Chernarus map. Every bit as detailed and beautiful as Livonia, but actually running at a great framerate everywhere. As my interest in A3 wanes, I find that I only get drawn to maps where the authors have gone to decent lengths to get the natural environment aspects looking, well, natural. And with the latest work, the forests and most of the environment have been absolutely nailed! 

My only problems are satmap and ground texture related. The almost brown black forest satmap that resolves to light green as you move closer. The overly contrasty and blotchy grass satmap that resolves into patchwork grass. And the abundant pale satmap fields (wheat?) that resolve into dark brown and green grassy areas or brown plowed earth. The last one particularly annoys me, so I wrote a little config patch so that these pale areas resolve to either wheat fields, or pale stubble/dry grass:

Spoiler

// Increase clutter view distance, add wheat and dry grass stubble on Chernarus2020
class CfgPatches
{
	class TPW_CHERNARUS2020
	{
		units[]={};
		weapons[]={};
		requiredVersion=0.1;
		requiredAddons[]=
		{
			"CUP_Chernarus_A3","CUP_Chernarus_A3_Config","CUP_Chernarus_A3_Data"
		};
		worlds[]={};
	};
};

class CfgSurfaceCharacters
{
	class CUP_CRSSparseWeedsShortGrassClutter
	{
		names[] = {"tpw_chernarus2020_stubble","crs_GrassDryPlant1"};
		probability[] = {0.85,0.15};
	};
};	

class CfgSurfaces
{
	class CUP_CRSField1
	{
		AIAvoidStance = 1;
		character = "CUP_CRSStubbleClutter";
		dust = 0.33;
		files = "crs_oranice_*";
		grassCover = 0.4;
		impact = "hitGroundSoft";
		lucidity = 1.5;
		maxSpeedCoef = 0.9;
		rough = 0.1;
		soundEnviron = "dirt";
		soundHit = "soft_ground";
		surfaceFriction = 1.7;
		iswater = 0;
	};

};	

class CfgWorlds
{
	class DefaultWorld{};
	class CAWorld: DefaultWorld{};
	class Stratis: CAWorld{};
	class cup_chernarus_a3: Stratis
	{
		clutterDist=200;
		noDetailDist=100;
		fullDetailDist=30;	

class Clutter 
		{
			class tpw_chernarus2020_stubble
			{
				model = "A3\vegetation_f_enoch\clutter\c_stubble.p3d";
				affectedByWind = 0.8;
				swLighting = 0;
				scaleMin = 1.4;
				scaleMax = 2;
				relativeColor[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
			};	
		};	
	};
};

To my eye they reduce visual mismatches help create a more dry summery agricultural vibe. Please feel free to ignore these suggestions!

Thanks again, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this already phenomenal map develops.

• Like 2

Wow,  ... just wow! The new update is just incredibly beautiful and could be from BI itself! Ok, there are small satmap issues, but with some work, this is gonna be perfect! Yes, there are things that could be better, but no, nothing we can expect from a modding team that works on it at it's free time. Sure, it would break the chains of the previously known if each house got remodelled with 4k textures, full enterable, and so on, but that's nothing we could ever demand. But one thing that would be nice:

latest?cb=20200315144515&path-prefix=de

There are some areas that look like wheat fields from above, but if you zoom in, there's "only" that dirt ground. Wheat fields like at livonia would be massive.

Cheers

Schraxt

• Like 1

A small bugfix patch was released today on all our ususal download sources.

Addressing some obstructed roads, and all together missing roads caused by our last patch, as well as a number of minor object position fixes as well and with the 1.98 patch for the main game the indestructible wooden fences is now resolved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

20200528224653_1.jpg20200528224753_1.jpg20200528225236_1.jpgA

An example of some of the things to eventually make their way to the release version Cherno 2020.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, GordonWeedman said:

Nice! That's one of the Sobors, right? Novy Sobor, I think?

I think its Zelenogorsk...

Yeah it's Zelenogorsk. The railroad tracks and yard are new.

The tracks leaving Zelenogorsk heading NW hints at a continuation of the railroad system? 

2 hours ago, EO said:

The tracks leaving Zelenogorsk heading NW hints at a continuation of the railroad system? 

Yeah already in on the commit i made to our dev branch. The top portion just isn't leveled correctly at the moment, as i am working in sections but it's there. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AZCoder said:

Yeah it's Zelenogorsk. The railroad tracks and yard are new.

Actually the whole layout of the town itself has changed, including the creation of new platform objects that most of the townhouse buildings sit on. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, -ben- said:

Actually the whole layout of the town itself has changed, including the creation of new platform objects that most of the townhouse buildings sit on. 

That's pretty cool. I recognized the road around the church and the gas station on the road north. At first I scratched my head until I saw those 2 features. This will certainly bring a fresh breath of air to Chernarus. Thanks for sharing.

The layouts for five new towns in the north, plus a rail system which connects them to the south.

What a time to be playing Arma 3!

• Like 2

With the full rail system and the Advanced Train Simulator mod we just need a very smart person to script an ambient train system 

On 3/15/2020 at 9:18 PM, BeastHunter said:

latest?cb=20200315144515&path-prefix=de

There are some areas that look like wheat fields from above, but if you zoom in, there's "only" that dirt ground. Wheat fields like at livonia would be massive.

I think they had intended the environment of the map to be in crops cutting season. I don't know? I just imagine being in crop cutting season(famers cut crops and pile them somewhere, and tied with a rope to carry and go to sell it in the market. They do it seasonally i think. I think there are three seasons for farming: good time, bad time, and selling time. I think the map is suppose to be around selling time)

But yes, i agree, the environment with grown yellow crops is very beautiful indeed, for example Lavonia(i think it is wheat). Also despite the big field lacking of any crops in CUP map 2.0, there are some places where the yellow crops poop out of nowhere from the ground, sometime on green highmap region. And that's strange. but im happy that team like CUP is working on the project! It'll better with time.

• Like 1

Absolutely amazing map! It feels much darker (in a good way) and the forests are incredibly atmospheric. I also quite like the little extra touches, such as the radar complex just north of the NW Airfield. Quick question for anyone though, does this work with ALiVE? I get infinite loading screens with AI modules down.

10 hours ago, Bukain said:

I think they had intended the environment of the map to be in crops cutting season. I don't know? I just imagine being in crop cutting season(famers cut crops and pile them somewhere, and tied with a rope to carry and go to sell it in the market. They do it seasonally i think. I think there are three seasons for farming: good time, bad time, and selling time. I think the map is suppose to be around selling time)

But yes, i agree, the environment with grown yellow crops is very beautiful indeed, for example Lavonia(i think it is wheat). Also despite the big field lacking of any crops in CUP map 2.0, there are some places where the yellow crops poop out of nowhere from the ground, sometime on green highmap region. And that's strange. but im happy that team like CUP is working on the project! It'll better with time.

Wheat is a cold  weather crop. In Oklahoma where I live, harvesting  is just at the start of June. I would guess in Canada, which has a similar weather to most of Russia and the CIS countries, harvesting would be a good deal later.

• Like 1

CUPREP #0014: New Terrains Release 1.16.0

Greetings,

Today we bring the first major update to the Maps 2.0 package with a large update for Chernarus 2020. To whet your appetite for what this update contains a video generously made by @cyruz illustrates what new things are in for you all to explore.

Now for some details on what has actually changed, the last update contained an overhaul to the existing vegetation, redoing all the compositions of the forests with the exception of many of the forests on the northern and western map borders. Now the entire western edge of the map has been completely redone, taking much inspiration from the Chernarus Plus map in Day Z we have created our own interpretation of many of its expanded areas, which were further made possible with new model additions to the Terrains Core package. This update adds over 10 new named villages, towns and points of interest to explore and fight in, as well as newly done forests, plains and farmland surrounding these new places, and a couple of new smaller additions to previously existing areas, such as Pavlovo and Zelenogorsk.

Spoiler

20200823143020_1.jpg

20200528225236_1.jpg

20200528224753_1.jpg

It is important to remember that this terrain is still W.I.P and as such a lot of the northern map border changes are not yet ready into this release, as such you will see areas of the satmap that do not match up or make sense with what you see on the ground, all we can do is ask that you be patient with us and focus on the new areas whilst we continue working to deliver the rest of the new map areas.

Before we wrap this up, we would also like to note that as many of you have been wondering and asking "Does this only contain Chernarus" we do have plans on the horizon for other terrains to enter the Maps 2.0 package and we hope that we will be able to share more details in the future.

As always changelogs for all our packages can be found on our website and included with the download, and bugs should be reported on our feedback tracker with the Chernarus 2020 tag!

This is all for this CUPDate, have a great day!

CUP Team

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

WOW. This Update is damn awesome.

I am stunned. This is awesome. All the new props... the new regions... seeing that you work on chernarus and it gets better and better (and cup gets better and better)... ... it's just awesome! The new city is probably one of the most realistic modern european cities in arma ever... it's super immersive and so beautiful....

I guess you will be working on the "old" cities one day too, after the new ones are finished, but there are some things I just want to mention. (All this is made crappy and fast 😉)

20200914203942-1.jpg

That's how the chernogorsk hospital looks right now...

20200914204144-1.jpg

...and so with few changes

20200914204712-1.jpg

same story with the train station now...

20200914204704-1.jpg

...but it would looks better imo with something like a parking lot

20200914204726-1.jpg

also the train station itself...

20200914204720-1.jpg

...better with some concrete

20200914204815-1.jpg

or the shop...

20200914204810-1.jpg

...with some concrete. Yes, I know that it's crappy, I know it's a WIP map, I know mapping is hell of work. And I know that this is better in the new regions. I just want to say that small things like this (no grass in front of entrances or in loading areas) increase the immersion damn hard. I know you already know that, just take this as a product of love for your work 😉 

So thanks for your wonderful work and the best wishes for cups future.

Are you planning to remake all buildings somewhere in the future? I can't wait for this one to be retextured:

20200914210103-1.jpg

Yeah, so I hope I helped or inspired you somehow. Have a fine day! And thanks!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

This is great work. I really wish I could help.

On a separate, unrelated note, could you recommend any decent tutorials/etc. if I wished to start modding terrains? Thanks.

Anyhow, great work, keep it up!