Gunter Severloh

Is Arma 3 a Singleplayer game or a Multiplayer game or both?

As the title says,

is Arma3 a Singleplayer or Multiplayer only game, or is it a Multiplayer game at the core

and the Singleplayer aspects just bonus content to support it?

Heres my take on this:

Description by Bi from the Arma 3 Steam Store page:    LINK - (if your lost as to what page im referring too)

Experience true combat gameplay in a massive military sandbox.

Deploying a wide variety of single and multiplayer content, over 20 vehicles and 40 weapons,

and limitless opportunities for content creation, this is the PC’s premier military game.

Authentic, diverse, open - Arma 3 sends you to war.

Game tags

• Single-player
  • Online PvP
  • Shared/Split Screen PvP
  • Online Co-op
  • Shared/Split Screen Co-op
  • Steam Achievements
  • Steam Trading Cards
  • Captions available
  • Steam Workshop
  • Partial Controller Support
  • Steam Leaderboards
  • Includes level editor

===========================

Singleplayer

• SP Campaign
  • SP Showcase Missions
  • SP Challenges
  • SP Scenarios - that come with the game and scenarios you can download via Steam Workshop and or Armaholic.
  • SP Bootcamp (Tutorial)
  • SP VR Training (Tutorial)
  • SP Virtual Arsenal
  • Editor - The editor is technically a singleplayer function as it dont support multiple editing as it 2+ people editing at the same time, but the editor can build SP and MP scenarios, which they can played in the editor via preview or client host (mp).
  • Coding, Configs, & Scripting
  • Modeling
  • Texturing
  • Terrain building
  • Mod creation for SP and MP
  • Addon creation for SP and MP
  • Tool & Utility creation

Multiplayer

• MP BI Mission Modes

The following MP Mode abbreviations are used: (Source - out of date per todays game version and community development )https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/217676-mission-name-standard/

• CO - Cooperative (only AI opponents)
  • DM - Deathmatch
  • TDM - Team Deathmatch
  • C&H - Capture and Hold
  • SC - Sector Control
  • AAS - Advance & Secure
  • CTF - Capture the Flag
  • RCTF - Reverse Capture the Flag
  • Combi - Combination of C&H and CTF
  • C&K - Capture and Kill
  • CTI - Conquer the Island
  • A&D - Attack & Defend
  • Obj - Objective (Co-op style mission with PvP element)
  • RC - Race
  • FF - Flag Fight
  • TFF - Team Flag Fight
  • E&E - Escape & Evade
  • VIP - VIP Protection/Assassination
  • RTS - Real Time Strategy
  • RPG - Role Playing Game
  • Misc - Miscellaneous (unique concept not fitting in any category)
  • Warlords
  • Overthrow

===============

Being that Arma3 at its core is a military sim sandbox to me this means, that Singleplayer and Multiplayer are both components of the same facet,

separating the two and stating the game is this or that is like saying a car only drives because of its wheels, you cannot remove the parts from

something focus only on one aspect of it and state that only that one aspect is what the game is.

A sandbox is just that, a place to play with whatever toys are available to play with, whether you play by yourself, or with others, one cannot stipulate that the sandbox is

a Singleplayer  or online MP only, this aint a club with rules that is specifically say and is setup only for singleplayer where there is no access online, or for multiplayer where there is no

singleplayer functions or content, if you cant play anything as a single player then it would ideally be a multiplayer game.

Its a sandbox game not only Sp or Mp!

There are games out there for example that are "meant" to be played in Multiplayer even though they have a practice mode, or even a campaign

but when the larger portion of the game's content, and function revolve around an editor that enables the creation of singleplayer and multiplayer scenarios, including online and offline

tools for the creation of models, terrains, textures, scripts, and code overall ideally its a sandbox game that encompasses and allows the diversity of both

singleplayer and multiplayer worlds to work in one setting.

Feedback

1. What are your guys thoughts, experience and perspective of Arma 3?
  2. What do you play, and do, how many hours do you have invested and where are most of your hours for this game going to?

These days the terminology has changed. A game is usually described as PvE or "Solo" game play (always sounds like Han Solo to me ! :supercool:). There used to be a lot of animosity towards solo/PvE players in general when we were at the height of the rise (and marketing focus) of MP only games. It seemed then that everyday would bring a new MP only game, with a few exceptions. But then The Division was released. Although its focus is more Coop rather than MP (apart from Darkzones) Massive also developed for solo game play and put in very few restrictions. For example other games would need 2 or more players for a coop session. The only place this does not work are Raids in The Division 2 which are impossible for a Solo player. So Arma 3. It looks most fun as a MP game. I can't play MP games as I often have to leave the game abruptly at random intervals. So I need to be able to hit that save game menu item quickly. So is A3 SP, MP or both ? I think as always with A3 its such an ENORMOUS and diverse world and community the game is in its own category.

This seemed to inspire your post ...

I know this is a multiplayer game mainly. Single player in this game is pure garbo !!! Ai is god awful... Can't find how to use equipment, or can't change controls. I don't have numpad on my keyboard geez... Don't know where to go. This isn't really single player game... Just saying... This whole game doesn't make much of a sense...

I think the campaign that comes with A2 throws a lot of people off (the later one's may be better, I have not tried them). It's a side of the game that is one of Bohemia's few weak points IMO as they try and make a story in a game that is more about logistics and simulation. The SP/solo experience becomes much more alive in community made scenarios such as Ultimate Warfare Rubber Edition.

On 1/27/2020 at 6:58 AM, MichaelZFreeman said:

This seemed to inspire your post ...

Part of it, its been ongoing for years, but there was a post on steam discussions where someone said Arma3 was an multiplayer game,

which for some reason just bothers me, considering i got almost 20yrs invested in the series, played and have all the games, and what you can do in and out of it.

Then here you get some sap with 100hrs into it and thinks they know what the game is about, just because someone only plays multiplayer and sees that aspect in

a game like arma they someone decide, or think that is the only function in the game, thats why everyone buys it or something.

On 1/27/2020 at 6:58 AM, MichaelZFreeman said:

The SP/solo experience becomes much more alive in community made scenarios such as Ultimate Warfare Rubber Edition.

Ya for sure, i played that mission, along with alot of others, but overall alot of scenarios can be played in singleplayer, for those that have AI you fight against,

technically speaking its not multiplayer until there is another player present.

@Von Quest

I like what he said here from the previous thread, I'll quote:

ArmA is NOT a Game. It's a Hobby. It looks like just another shooter game, and is marketed as one, but it's an Open World, Sandbox, Development, Game Design and Creation Toolbox.

It's like a epic Lego Set. You have to make and built most of what you want. It's up to you to make your own custom game. You're complaining about a box of Lego pieces

that's rattling about and incomplete. We've all been there.

It takes a long time to tweak and find all the hidden gems that will ultimately blow your mind if you stick with it. New users, (especially if you are coming from the Xbox and PlayStation world)

will struggle for a few weeks until it "clicks". This is meant to be experienced as a simulation more than a simple First Person Shooter.

If you stick with it a little while longer, and explore what it can truly do, you'll have an epiphany some day, and be like.... "Whoa! This is a game changer!"

What are your guys thoughts, experience and perspective of Arma 3?

The only Arma 3 experience, I care, is SP. Never managed to convince myself, MP is a kind of fun suitable for me. It isn't. But indeed above all Arma 3 is a sandbox to me. A space for creative endevours, experiments, weird tests, all good stuff, I want and can do with scripts... It started (Arma 2) out of my frustration, there's no certain things handled in Arma, that IMO should be handled, so I wanted to add this stuff myself. That was a trap! It was too late, before I realized, I enjoy scripting even more, than playing...

What do you play

If I do, it is most likely some test run of my own creations. Other than that - I enjoy the most in general the same kind, I'm making myself. SP, open, procedural scenarios with high replayability, giving me a feel, I'm only one of many cogs in the bigger machine of events, but because of that my actions have certain effect on the whole situation. A good, immersive, personal, moving narrative is always a good thing too. I like to watch how complex simulation of life revolves around in surprising ways, to perceive a fictious war from different, non-cliche perspectives. 

how many hours do you have invested

4372 in Arma 3 according to Steam, not sure about Arma 2, but generally it is about 1000 hours per year so far (there was a 2 years gap). Although, to be honest, initial enthusiasm weared off (its 9th year after all...), ideas, I had, are mostly completed, paths, I wanted to explore, are mostly explored, so who knows, how it will look in the near future. 

where are most of your hours for this game going to

Probably more, than 90% percent of the above number goes to scripting itself and debug tests. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Part of it, its been ongoing for years, but there was a post on steam discussions where someone said Arma3 was an multiplayer game,

which for some reason just bothers me, considering i got almost 20yrs invested in the series, played and have all the games, and what you can do in and out of it.

Then here you get some sap with 100hrs into it and thinks they know what the game is about, just because someone only plays multiplayer and sees that aspect in

a game like arma they someone decide, or think that is the only function in the game, thats why everyone buys it or something.

Ya for sure, i played that mission, along with alot of others, but overall alot of scenarios can be played in singleplayer, for those that have AI you fight against,

technically speaking its not multiplayer until there is another player present.

@Von Quest

I like what he said here from the previous thread, I'll quote:

That is an awesome description of ArmA ! So it's neither SP or MP although it can do both.

Kind of off-topic, but I started playing Ultimate Warfare Rubber Edition ( this is the same mission ? ) and am having trouble optimising parameters. The mission has minimal help and no forum thread. Good work done on it but but in 2020 its like it still has bugs that were there in Benny's original WFBE from ~2012. Can you help ?

• Like 1

Good post Rydygier, it gives me a bit more clearer picture of what your into, also good to see you around since we last worked together on Hermes 😉

Since you quoted those questions i had asked in the OP, i really havent done it myself, just gave my 2 cents on the subject,

so heres me answering my own questions:

On 1/27/2020 at 6:04 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

What are your guys thoughts, experience and perspective of Arma 3?

I love the fact that in this game you can do anything you want, your not limited to just sp or mp, its not just a campaign, and the rest is multiplayer.

Or like some games its a campaign, some scenarios, and multiplayer, and no editor and your lucky if its moddable, or it has an SDK where you can build mods.

With this game to me the core of the game revolves around the editor, all your sp/mp campaigns, scenarios come out of it, if it were not for the editor idk if i could continue playing i mean

you can only play the campaign and some other things so much before you lose interest.

I love arma3's editor in its current state and thats including the option to use the 2d map to place units and what have you, like in the old days of arma prearma when OFP was the main game

thats all there was, was a 2d overview, editor was small with less functions compared to a3, arma2 and OA made it alot better but it was still limited, when arma3 finally had those functions where you

could manually place weapons, units, ect,. wherever you wanted and exactly where you wanted without needing to add a height and position code to the init of the object, thats like a dream come true!

What do you play, and do

When i do play, 99% of it is in Singleplayer, and part multiplayer im either working on a new mission in the editor, or playing missions i built, testing code, or scripts,

or sometimes just messing around with situations. In the past i had a unit so i played coop quite a bit, then coop with some friends, but nowadays i'll host an mp lan game and play missions i built or others built

and or mostly just work on my missions in the editor.

Outside of the game as some of you know, i love to compile, so i spend alot of time researching, looking at alot of common things, that i can put

together that would interest me and help the community save alot of time, along with being on the forums here and helping members with issues or helping or taking part in interesting discussions.

how many hours do you have invested and where are most of your hours for this game going to?

Currently i have 3,531 hrs, and most of that is in the editor, part coop, and playing overall, i probably could have alot more then that if i didn't spend so much time

compiling shit for the community, and of course the few other games i like to play, its not so much the number its what you do that matters most, i probably have more time on the

forum here then i do in the game, lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MichaelZFreeman said:

Can you help ? 

Ask the author in the discussions section of that steam page, he does reply as you can see in the comments, plus he would know better then i would as its his mission.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Ask the author in the discussions section of that steam page, he does reply as you can see in the comments, plus he would know better then i would as its his mission.

Thanks. I posted. I managed to work out how to get a decent game. I played on Stratis with only 7 towns and things are MUCH faster ! Time to start putting my Lego together :yay:.

• Like 1

To me Arma is a military sandbox. I think it is an adequate description. Me and my friends sometimes create parts of missions and glue them together. The resulting mission is created by multiple people so you could say even the editor has multiplayer capability. 😉

I play 99% single player with my own missions, now clocking up to 4389 hours (feeling both proud and slightly worried by that number). I tend to create simple structured mission with high replayability and relatively high difficulty. I fiddle around in the editor so much! Playing with some close friends, we create sillier type of missions, with us, for example, being secret agents on jet skis on Tanoa. The silly missions tend to test the sandbox aspect of Arma a little bit more and also personal creativity.

A possible interesting note: I played OFP for maybe 6 years, I loved it! But I never played Arma 2. I thought it was too similar to OFP, and I needed a break. I picked it up again with Arma 3 🙂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, joostsidy said:

To me Arma is a military sandbox. I think it is an adequate description.

Nice! Ya it is.

Me and my friends sometimes create parts of missions and glue them together. The resulting mission is created by multiple people so you could say even the editor has multiplayer capability. 😉

Nice, ya if you had it where you could send the file to them and back quickly, how did you guys have that setup for sending each other the mission,

was the mission in a zip, or did you have a way to send the mission folder as is, and update from there?

But I never played Arma 2. I thought it was too similar to OFP, and I needed a break.

Dude you missed out on some seriously awesome mods, my COSLX, A2WarMod for arma2, and my COWarMod for Arma2CO (250+ mods in one mod) all the gameplay mods from the community.

And some amazing Scenarios, like Evolution, Domination, i edited those missions to death adding planes, vehicles, adjusting this and that, what a serious f*cking blast i had and in coop too!

Arma2 was a bit better then OFP, OA upgraded it a bit, but imo Arma3 bakes the cake for the editor above them all.

Whats really badass is you can play all the campaigns and missions from OFP in their remakes, with 10x better graphics, handling, sound, ect,.

I got to say what the community is releasing and doing these days for mods, is pretty insane compared to what we played preArma3, i mean seriously the mods, and gameplay have seriously evolved,

i cannot fathom the genius ideas, and development that the community will come up with for the next game and im sure there is to be one, but thats another subject.

What i love the most about this game and i said the same about OFP back in the day when you would go to OFP.info, if i recall correctly it switched to ofp.gamepark.cz

Is almost everyday, there were new mods, patches, developments, scenarios, ect,. was like Christmas all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Dude you missed out on some seriously awesome mods, my COSLX, A2WarMod for arma2, and my COWarMod for Arma2CO (250+ mods in one mod) all the gameplay mods from the

On this forum I do hear a lot about the good old Arma 2 days of which I was unfortunately not a part of and I understand only half of it! 😂

With mission exchange, yeah, you just zip the folder and e-mail it to the other person..

20 hours ago, joostsidy said:

With mission exchange, yeah, you just zip the folder and e-mail it to the other person..

I used discord, skype, and dropbox back in the day when i was doing a mission with a friend.

8 hours ago, Wonder_Bra said:

Arma 3 is a ERROR game, nothing more and nothing less.

So i take it your getting errors then?

• Like 1

Another comment on this after being away from A3 for a while and fully getting back into this. This based on many hours in Liberation Tobruk.

For the first few hours I experienced excruciating frustration and impatience. Vehicles seemed to be ultra slow and getting somewhere took ages. I became aware of the instant gratification that so many ego shooters have entrained me into since not playing arma for years. But I persevered like one of those special forces guys hoofing it up a hill with a heavy pack on. Then I got over the hump and "It" happened (the arma effect). While attempting to take an enemy airfield an enemy aircraft was called as reinforcement. This proceeded to start strafing my position. I cowered in terror, my cheek buried in the desert sand looking for a place of safety. Then desperation set in. Enemy vehicles were captured and bitter fire fights ensued. Suddenly I was in a different world, sort like having escaped from The Matrix or something :w:. Now that's beyond simple MP and SP descriptions. The ArmA effect. What other game even comes close ?

• Like 2