empleat100

you need supercomputer to play this game

I don't understand this game. Why did you make photorealistic graphics, while engine of this game is bottlenecking gpu and game runs very poorly. It is like trying implement battlefield 4 graphics into game, which uses engine from doom 1. I didn't find any benchmarks for geforce 2070 super. Only one video from vanilla campaign, which showed like 70 fps on ultra. But nothing demanding was happening. I don't understand this, these benchmark are usually made when nothing is happening so it shows a lot of fps, but reality differs. 

I have currently intel i7 3770k 4.1 ghz and geforce 780, 1600 mhz ram 16gb. And i have like 13 fps in arma contact. While i reduced details drastically, almost to lowest !!! It had no effect at all. I can't aim during fights, it is like playing doom on keyboard. I will be getting new pc, geforce 2070 super and waiting on new intel cpu and highspeed ram. But doubt it will help much. I don't think it will run on more than 30 fps honestly. This is so annoying, content without performance isn't playable. What is worse, movement in this game is buggy and yet with combination of low fps, it is hard to move around. Or make a shot. Btw there is forced negative acceleration into game, which mess up your muscle memory.. What is the point of such graphics, if you will never play even on half of it. And not even mentioning stupid ai, they see your through fog, or grass everywhere. I just lean from door (at night), to look around and they instant see me from 100 m away through grass and bushes and trees. I know this is a multiplayer game mainly. Single player in this game is pure garbo !!! Ai is god awful... Can't find how to use equipment, or can't change controls. I don't have numpad on my keyboard geez... Don't know where to go. This isn't really single player game... Just saying... This whole game doesn't make much of a sense...

So anyway, i am really interested how game will run on new computer, but i don't have much hopes...

• Like 2

Hi, @empleat100

While you got some points that we could agree like makeing Single Player Noob Frendly and like AI seeing through Bushes.

On some points i would Disagree.

1. I am running this game on my Lenovo Legion Y series Laptop that has i7 7700 HQ CPU , GTX 1050 GPU, 8 GB ram and 250 SSD and 1 TB HDD.  And i have like 50 - 60 FPS in Vanilla on High Settings

BTW ( make sure you have also enable a couple of settings in Launcher in Parameters > ALL Parameters).  Also Arma is CPU heavy and not GPU you can put RTX 3000 it woudn't change mutch.

2. I am usually playing this game with my friends/Unit with 30-40 mods and have like 40-50 FPS on Normal Settings.

3.While Yes SP is poorly done ( it could be done better) this game is manly Multiplayer Orienteded.

4.Movement in this game IMO its ok only thing that is laking is Going over the objects but Thank god for the Enhanced Movement where you can climb on and over the objects. And Also it take a couple of hours to get use to the movement becouse its diffrent then other games.

I am gonna asume that you are use to fast Pace games Like Battelfield COD and other games like that but Arma is more slow pace game, where you need to think how to aproach the situation and OFC (insert walking simulator Joke) to get there.

1 hour ago, empleat100 said:

Btw there is forced negative acceleration into game, which mess up your muscle memory.

I have no idea what did you mean by this sentence.

6.As we can agree that Ai can see trough bushes or trough  fog. You have to also know that ai is adjustable you can adjust spoting distance, skills and mutch more so it fits your play style. So you can eazly adjust AI basicly how ever you want.

Can't find how to use equipment

There is Virtual arsenal in the main menu when you load in arma. (Virtual Training) you can test every weapon vehicle and mutch more. And in game there is also a supply crates witch have weapons only from the Faction (Bluefor, Opfore,Independed).

can't change controls.

Options > controls. I dont see how did you miss that.

This isn't really single player game.

We can agree on that.

This whole game doesn't make much of a sense..

Well  basicly this game can be what ever you would like to be. Becouse this is Open World Sandbox game, You can make boats fly and planes swim.

It has Zeus / Game Master Options where players as you and me can  make missions for others to play our missions in Real time.

I recomend going trough the Virtual training scenarios to get the gasp on how and what you can do, after that you can join on any server arma provieds (I would recomend on offical ones first)

and you can ask any of the people to explain you how to play this game. Most of the people there have a couple of hundred hours in this game and they will gladly teach somebody new becouse they know the struggle when they started playing everything was confusing but with time they got all the ins and outs of the game.

BTW sorry for any misspelled sentence or words English is not my native language.

• Like 1

As we can agree that Ai can see trough bushes

Check out AI Facts & Myths Compilation List

"AI cannot see you in dense fog - TRUE   Fog will pretty much reduce / affect A.I. unit(s) enemy knowledge and visibility."

They also can't see you in bushes, but if they spot you heading behind a bush they will fire into it. They can also shoot through walls of houses.

While i reduced details drastically, almost to lowest !!! It had no effect at all.

Setting graphics on low settings doesn't help. Some settings work better on high and put the work on GPU instead of CPU.

Best to find a guide on youtube or somewhere online to get your settings right.

• Like 3

Seems like a lot of emotion and hyperbole there. I run arma on two PCs, one of them I built about 8 years ago, and with a bit of thought put into the settings it still runs the game fine. Probably doubtful the OP came here for any assistance though. 

• Like 1

SSDs bruf.

1 100gb for the OS

1 1tb for stuff like games

ArmA depends mostly on CPU clock and storage speed (any DDR4 RAM also helps).

You can have a DDR3 HDD monster rig and struggle.

You can have a cheapo DDR4 SSD APU thing and the game will fly.

I have a 16gb DDR4 + AMD 2400G APU + SSD cheapo thing as second PC for LAN parties

and it sometimes runs circles around my 2015 DDR3 i7 970GTX main build.

17 hours ago, empleat100 said:

I have currently intel i7 3770k 4.1 ghz and geforce 780, 1600 mhz ram 16gb

Heres your issue, you graphics card is old, dont expect much out of that in regards to the demands of the game, your ram 16gb is good, but the 1600mhz is way to low to be of any help.

For Arma3 you want 16gb min more is better imo, but at min of 2800+ mhz

Example i have DDr4 32gb at 3600mhz and im on Ultra and average 50-120fps, so ya definatry upgrade or get a better pc as you were saying.

This is so annoying, content without performance isn't playable.

Agreed, but then your approaching a demanding game with a low end computer, so the tool to run the game is to weak to do the job efficient enough to allow you to play without issue.

And not even mentioning stupid ai, they see your through fog, or grass everywhere. I just lean from door (at night), to look around and they instant see me from 100 m away through grass and bushes and trees.

Well take note, there are a number of factors that decide when and how AI see you, are you making noise, did they previously see you, do they have NVG's on, are they facing you?

Also note that if an AI has seen you moving in a certain direction, they follow it til the end, so they can track you, it also depends on what your playing and what the AI skills is set too.

Review my AI Facts & Myths Compilation List :

All the listings there are from the developers updates, along with many confirmed by players statements, this list is ideal for those

who would like to know why the Ai do what they do.

This isn't really single player game

Yet your playing by yourself, as said its an open world military sandbox, its SP and Mp and many more things.

• Like 3

I bet the OP trampled through the bushes while complaining loudly what a shitty game Arma is. The enemy soldiers heard that and shot him through the bushes. I'm glad OP informed me Arma 3 isn't a SP game, I've only invested a couple of thousand hours in SP, so now I can stop playing this game.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 1/26/2020 at 2:21 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

For Arma3 you want 16gb min more is better imo, but at min of 2800+ mhz

Example i have DDr4 32gb at 3600mhz and im on Ultra and average 50-120fps.

@Gunter Severloh I'm in the process of building my new PC its got a i9 9900K 3.60 GHz cpu and I let a friend talk me out of getting a 32gb kit for a 16gb kit of DDr4 at 3600mhz to save some money.

Do you think I will still get good fps on Ultra with only 16gb of ram ? 

My PC specifications are:
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz, turbo frequency 4,2GHz

- GPU: MSI GTX 1660 Ti OC Ventus XS

- PSU: Fractal design Integra M 750W

- RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB (4x4) DDR4 2400MHz

- SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

- Motherboard: Asus Prime B450-Plus AM4 ATX

ArmA 3 runs well on maxed graphical settings. I get about 60-80 fps in singleplayer. I got about 30 fps in Contact campaign when I still had my previous Intel i5 7500. AMD R5 2600X has about the same performance but reduced stuttering. I also use Blender and Unity engine outside gaming so 6 cores and 12 threads are useful for me. I don't understand how people complain about bad performance with superior builds comparing to my experiences.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cb65 said:

Do you think I will still get good fps on Ultra with only 16gb of ram ? 

Go higher if you can afford it, i mean its not like once a month your buying ram, maybe once in 2-3yrs?

My last build was Oct 2017 and i spent just over 2k to get what i got, so i maxed everything out, and went with recommendations from a couple of people who have a computer background

one of them being Old Bear on the computer thread, best move i made!

But to answer your question yes you can with 16gb but again 32gb makes a difference and your getting 3600mhz that will also make a serious difference, its a good investment if you plan to spend

any serious or decent amount of time in the game, why struggle, or deal with frustrations of less fps or poor performance to enjoy the best imo game you can ever play.

(why i been in the series since it started, it only gets better and better every year!)

On 1/25/2020 at 12:45 PM, joostsidy said:

I'm glad OP informed me Arma 3 isn't a SP game, I've only invested a couple of thousand hours in SP, so now I can stop playing this game.

Ya i had no idea that this was an MP only game, wheres the roll eyes smiley, oh here it is, i'll just the OFP2 facepalm instead :face_palm:

I'm going to start a new thread on the subject to not derail the thread here since alot of the new folks who have little to no idea what this game entails,

so let us vets those who are interested join in and give your experience and perspective, i'll update this post with the thread link.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Gunter Severloh thanks for your reply mate I'll get another 16gb kit now.

My current PC I built about 6 years ago for Battlefield 3 and when Arma 3 was released it ran really bad on it but then slowly got better and better with each update to the point where my PC runs Arma 3 on medium to high settings really smoothly.

I've clocked up about 4000 hrs of Arma 3 with it.

I'm hoping the PC i'm building now will last me the same amount of time as my current PC has.

Thanks for your advise.

• Like 1

@cb65 Hey your welcome, ideally i would go over to this thread:

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/187603-will-my-pc-run-arma3-what-cpugpu-to-get-what-settings-what-system-specifications/

and talk with Old bear, Groove_C, TankBuster, and some of the others that post on that thread frequently, they know their computers, and components along with what will work best with arma3

suggest asking there first, explain what you have and what your planning on getting, and let them give you some pointers and advice, they will set you on the right path, they did with me long ago, and many others.

Even though i have built 4 pcs of my own, im still learning, and its not my main thing, thats why i send folks to that thread, because these guys are always testing,

and researching builds, and things for arma3.

===========

On another note, here is my thread i just posted about whether Arma3 is a Singleplayer or Multiplayer game only,

an honest discussion and some light to be shed on what the game we play is all about, no sides taken, share your thoughts, perspective and experience, cheers!

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/227602-is-arma-3-a-singleplayer-game-or-a-multiplayer-game-or-both/

ArmA is NOT a Game. It's a Hobby. It looks like just another shooter game, and is marketed as one, but it's an Open World, Sandbox, Development, Game Design and Creation Toolbox.

It's like a epic Lego Set. You have to make and build most of what you want. It's up to you to make your own custom game. You're complaining about a box of Lego pieces that's rattling about and incomplete. We've all been there.

It takes a long time to tweak and find all the hidden gems that will ultimately blow your mind if you stick with it. New users, (especially if you are coming from the Xbox and PlayStation world) will struggle for a few weeks until it "clicks". This is meant to be experienced as a simulation more than a simple First Person Shooter.

If you stick with it a little while longer, and explore what it can truly do, you'll have an epiphany some day, and be like.... "Whoa! This is a game changer!"

• Like 10

ArmA is NOT a Game. It's a Hobby. It looks like just another shooter game, and is marketed as one, but it's an Open World, Sandbox, Development, Game Design and Creation Toolbox.

It's like a epic Lego Set. You have to make and built most of what you want. It's up to you to make your own custom game. You're complaining about a box of Lego pieces that's rattling about and incomplete. We've all been there.

It takes a long time to tweak and find all the hidden gems that will ultimately blow your mind if you stick with it. New users, (especially if you are coming from the Xbox and PlayStation world) will struggle for a few weeks until it "clicks". This is meant to be experienced as a simulation more than a simple First Person Shooter.

If you stick with it a little while longer, and explore what it can truly do, you'll have an epiphany some day, and be like.... "Whoa! This is a game changer!"

You Sir could not be more correct. Salute. You wrote what I have so many times tried to describe to new recruits...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Seems like a lot of emotion and hyperbole there. I run arma on two PCs, one of them I built about 8 years ago, and with a bit of thought put into the settings it still runs the game fine. Probably doubtful the OP came here for any assistance though. 

2500K by any chance? ;)

In my gang many of us run on i5-2500K and have some GPU from last five years. The GPU matters as much as the mousepad on how the ArmA performs.

We did a tiny bit of not-at-all-scientific research and run YAAB (Yet another ArmA benchmark) on all of the computers we have. The results were interesting. It really seems to be about SINGLE core performance of the CPU, speed of the RAM, and speed of the medium, I.e. you need SSD.

6-8 years old Intel will eat newer AMD CPUs for breakfast, when it comes to ArmA performance.

Physics are different than in most ADHD-shooters. The reason is complete and universal physics that are applied to everything including the projectiles and whatever have you. Not many games have that.

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2020 at 12:52 PM, specialsmith said:

You Sir could not be more correct. Salute. You wrote what I have so many times tried to describe to new recruits... emoji106.pngemoji108.png

Yes, that has to be the most awesome description of what ArmA really is, ever ! I've tried to define it myself before and never got that close. Should be sent to Bohemia marketing department.

On 1/24/2020 at 11:56 PM, empleat100 said:

I don't understand this game. Why did you make photorealistic graphics, while engine of this game is bottlenecking gpu and game runs very poorly. It is like trying implement battlefield 4 graphics into game, which uses engine from doom 1. I didn't find any benchmarks for geforce 2070 super. Only one video from vanilla campaign, which showed like 70 fps on ultra. But nothing demanding was happening. I don't understand this, these benchmark are usually made when nothing is happening so it shows a lot of fps, but reality differs. 

I have currently intel i7 3770k 4.1 ghz and geforce 780, 1600 mhz ram 16gb. And i have like 13 fps in arma contact. While i reduced details drastically, almost to lowest !!! It had no effect at all. I can't aim during fights, it is like playing doom on keyboard. I will be getting new pc, geforce 2070 super and waiting on new intel cpu and highspeed ram. But doubt it will help much. I don't think it will run on more than 30 fps honestly. This is so annoying, content without performance isn't playable. What is worse, movement in this game is buggy and yet with combination of low fps, it is hard to move around. Or make a shot. Btw there is forced negative acceleration into game, which mess up your muscle memory.. What is the point of such graphics, if you will never play even on half of it. And not even mentioning stupid ai, they see your through fog, or grass everywhere. I just lean from door (at night), to look around and they instant see me from 100 m away through grass and bushes and trees. I know this is a multiplayer game mainly. Single player in this game is pure garbo !!! Ai is god awful... Can't find how to use equipment, or can't change controls. I don't have numpad on my keyboard geez... Don't know where to go. This isn't really single player game... Just saying... This whole game doesn't make much of a sense...

So anyway, i am really interested how game will run on new computer, but i don't have much hopes...

Try out Arma 2 OA, its old but gold game, with high quality mods and good performance.

I find it so funny when people talk about how awesome the performance of Arma 2 is. Yes, it’s awesome now because you’re essentially playing a 10 year old game on a modern PC.

When it came out, we had exactly the same concerns players have now with Arma 3; players running it with older hardware or maxxing out the settings and expecting a consistent 60+FPS.

The cream of the Arma crop have given some great feedback and ideas for a new player to maximize a players time and enjoyment in Arma 3. I would listen to them as opposed to an account whose every post has been to slam Arma 3 and doesn’t apparently know there are dedicated forums for the game they prefer to play, Arma 2

• Like 5

On 1/24/2020 at 4:56 PM, empleat100 said:

"I don't understand this game. Why did you make photorealistic graphics, while engine of this game is bottlenecking gpu and game runs very poorly. It is like trying implement battlefield 4 graphics into game, which uses engine from doom 1. I didn't find any benchmarks for geforce 2070 super. Only one video from vanilla campaign, which showed like 70 fps on ultra. But nothing demanding was happening. I don't understand this, these benchmark are usually made when nothing is happening so it shows a lot of fps, but reality differs. 

So anyway, i am really interested how game will run on new computer, but i don't have much hopes..."

It still runs like ass on newer PCs; been playing this series since OFP, they always run like crap. i7 7800X@4.8Ghz/GTX 1080Ti/PCIE SSD/32GB 3200Mhz RAM, i7 6850K@4.5Ghz/NVME SSD/RTX 2080Ti/32GB RAM , i7 6700/SSD/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM , i7 4770K@4.3Ghz/SSD/Vega 64/16GB RAM- they  ll can barely maintain 30 FPS  once the shooting starts with anything above Platoon size on the screen. ArmA 2 still runs like garbage as well. 

On 1/25/2020 at 5:26 AM, empleat100 said:

they see your through fog, or grass everywhere. I just lean from door (at night), to look around and they instant see me from 100 m away through grass and bushes and trees. 

That's call ambush, which is mostly utilize in guerrilla warfare XD

Anyway, I'd suggest you to try bringing up your game resolution, maybe you'll see what AIs(and other players) can see/are seeing.

4 hours ago, Bukain said:

That's call ambush, which is mostly utilize in guerrilla warfare XD

Maybe but i doubt it, AI have the ability to track you by sight and or by sound, if he was seen, then the AI follow

the whereabouts of a would be target they cant see and presume their target is where they think it is, making them look as if they can see through fog/smoke and grass.

See my AI Facts & Myths thread which is all dev changelog notes, as well as confirmed and proven tests demonstrating

various aspects to these AI functions --->

On 1/25/2020 at 10:21 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

And not even mentioning stupid ai, they see your through fog, or grass everywhere. I just lean from door (at night), to look around and they instant see me from 100 m away through grass and bushes and trees.

Well take note, there are a number of factors that decide when and how AI see you, are you making noise, did they previously see you, do they have NVG's on, are they facing you?

Also note that if an AI has seen you moving in a certain direction, they follow it til the end, so they can track you, it also depends on what your playing and what the AI skills is set too.

Review my AI Facts & Myths Compilation List :

All the listings there are from the developers updates, along with many confirmed by players statements, this list is ideal for those

who would like to know why the Ai do what they do.

• Like 1

OP you're spot on; ArmA 3 runs like garbage; however, this is par for the course since Operation Flashpoint. With an i7 7800X@4.8Ghz, 32GB RAM, and a 2080Ti same story as with 5930K/1080Ti. Also SSD, whether PCIE SSD, M2, or SATA and 32GB of RAM make 0 difference.

MvK8x0h.png

1iKyR6y.png

• Thanks 1

Let me check the recommended spec on store page really quick... Hmm, I5 4460 or FX4300. Do people from future have anything to say about this?

Wot?! Platoon sized scenario on Tanoa? If you've played ARMA at all you wouldn't have made that kind of mistake.

On 1/24/2020 at 10:56 PM, empleat100 said:

Elephant in the room here being the resolution - which noone has mentioned.

What resolution are you running at? Try reducing it.

Also, the gfx card is quite old.

That CPU can get a lot more than 4.1.. Look into Overclocking it - I had mine (same chip) running stable at 4.7GHz (though I delidded it). You get a very good speed boost over stock.

Consider overclocking the RAM or try to get some DDR2400 RAM. It will make a difference.

However, don't spend too much on improving your current PC.

If you have the cash, an upgrade to a newer platform will give you the best returns.

This game is all about CPU (and fast RAM).

Graphics cards; not so much, though NVidia seems to be a better choice for ArmA.

See my post above.

ArmA is NOT a game for the general public. It's a Sandbox + Toolbox. You BUILD what you what, how you what it. That's it. It's no mystery.

It's an "unlocked" dev kit, disguised as a shooter, marketed as a video game.

I can still play and dev on an old 15 year old i3 shitty laptop at 60fps.

You can't drive a Ferrari in the snow. Learn to drive, or go back to an easier climate on Xbox. You knuckleheads are completely missing the hobby!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2