Sign in to follow this  
LSValmont

Enfusion vs. Real Virtuality 4 2020 Realistic Performance Comparison

I know everyone is comparing Arma 3's Real Virtuality 4 engine performance to that of DayZ's Enfusion Engine but that is NOT a fair comparison by any means because:

- Arma 3 has a far more complex Ai Ecosystem than the barebones Ai framework that DayZ currently has.

- Arma 3 has far more assets and objects to support all its diverse maps, factions and ecosystems.

- DayZ has a far more complex Lightning system.

- DayZ has a fairly different Server-Client infrastructure. Clients feel smoother in DayZ just because much of the load is handled by the Server while on Arma 3 the Server and Client load (when hosting) is handled under the same system/core.

The weird thing is that on players only Arma 3 servers (no Ai) such as the ones on most Life Servers I get the basically the same very high FPS I get on similarly sized DayZ servers (amount of players) which leads me to believe that under similar conditions (No Ai) both Engines run at about the same FPS even thou Enfusion uses more cores but in the end how players measure performance is by their FPS and not the resource utilization, and also it makes no sense to optimize the engine to use more cores but get no FPS improvements in the process.

So my question is: Where are the real performance improvements of the long Enfusion engine development cycle if under similar conditions it performs exactly or perhaps only slightly better than the old one?

Well, it's not Enfusion. It's a mix of Take on Helicopters engine (past A2, but not A3) and some bits of Enfusion. Since Enfusion is still in the making.

Dayz official server has 60 players modded reach 127
Arma 3 without AI? 100 realistic ?
to me Arma RV4 well patched  beat dayz 
ps ARMA has single player campaigns

18 hours ago, Groove_C said:

Well, it's not Enfusion. It's a mix of Take on Helicopters engine (past A2, but not A3) and some bits of Enfusion. Since Enfusion is still in the making.

Well, it is the closest to full Enfusion we have on display and to compare to... we will have to do our analysis with what we have so we don't dwell into hypothesis territory.

16 hours ago, zukov said:

Dayz official server has 60 players modded reach 127
Arma 3 without AI? 100 realistic ?
to me Arma RV4 well patched  beat dayz 
ps ARMA has single player campaigns

Remember that is performance differences/improvements what we are discussing here but on even fields (As much as possible of course).

Arma 3 clearly performs far worst than DayZ as soon as there are Ai units and vehicles on the server but since DayZ has no Ai other than dumb zombies then we cannot add Ai to the comparison.

Also it seems desyncs are a lot more common on DayZ servers compared to Arma 3 servers under similar conditions since I am getting lot of feedback on discord regarding this post.

To even the fields even further I added the Ravage mod to my Arma 3 server during my testing spawning just Zombies with DayZ and just zombies and I am getting 60 FPS on CUP Chernarous for Arma 3 while I get 70 FPS on DayZ. Both with around 20 players and + 30 zombies near my playable unit.

PS: That is client FPS, I was not measuring server FPS.

PS2: Both games on Ultra and 1200 view/objects distance.

Intel I7 6700K 4.0 GH (4 cores)

Geforce 1660 GTX 6GB

32 Gigs of Ram

Samsung SSD

So all in all a 10 FPS improvement for DayZ and its half Enfusion engine.

I am not impressed at all.

3 minutes ago, Groove_C said:

No PhysiX and no destruction in DayZ.

Good points! I did not know that! 

Thank you!

the only things that i'm really like in Dayz, and enfusion, are the player's animations and the beautiful Mosin Nagant PU

11 minutes ago, zukov said:

the only things that i'm really like in Dayz, and enfusion, are the player's animations and the beautiful Mosin Nagant PU

Indeed, reload animations look a lot nicer! 

Still, a performance comparison 😉 

Under fairly similar conditions what are your FPS in A3 vs DayZ?

i'm lucky if I reach 40, average about 30 high and not ultra and  terrain standard

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zukov said:

i'm lucky if I reach 40, average about 30 high and not ultra and  terrain standard

I assume that is in Arma 3?

Ideally you should host a server on Chernarous Arma 3 and roam around and then Host a DayZ server and roam around comparing the two FPS performances.

On 1/19/2020 at 5:10 PM, Groove_C said:

Actually, it seems that as of version 1.0 DayZ is fully using Enfusion while ditching any A3/Take on Helicopters heritage.

As you can even evidence here: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/DayZ:Enforce_Script_Syntax

DayZ now fully uses Enforce Script language instead of SQF and the wiki states: 

"Enforce Script is the language that is used by the Enfusion engine first introduced in DayZ Standalone. It is a Object-Oriented Scripting Language (OOP) that works with objects and classes and is similar to C# programming language."

• Thanks 1