Sign in to follow this  
AceWonder

Adding A.I. enemies to the map

I thought about this idea for a while now, adding a.i. enemies to the map to help fill the void of maps emptiness along with adding more variety to encounters. Adding A.I. enemies can create new ways how we interact we key locations on the map like the barred house, radio tower or even random buildings. For instance the radio tower could have A.I.s defending it and the barred house could have A.I.s trying to break into the safe; this would increase the intensity of exploring these area even more along with making the maps feel more alive. Also A.I. enemies can have loot on them; so if you take them out, you can collect any resources/weapons they may have. But I wouldn't want them to be a pushovers either, make them somewhat of a challenge to take them down. I wonder if anyone else has thought this should be added to the game?

• Thanks 1

Hi Ace,

It's an interesting suggestion, but I fear it wouldn't work as well as you suggest.

For instance, and from my personal perspective, I would simply camp the AI locations and let some other outlander begin the assault, then take him/her out from distance. If no outlander bothered to engage with them, then I would consider taking them on just before or after the drop for easy loot, as they would presumably be quite dumb and predicable. As it would be of no use if they took out any outlander who approached.

Not cricket you may say, but the name of the game is survival and getting off the map with as much loot as you can.

I find it difficult enough dealing with human outlanders to be bothered dealing with AI's, whilst not knowing who may be hovering around training their sights on me.

7 hours ago, Oldninja said:

Hi Ace,

It's an interesting suggestion, but I fear it wouldn't work as well as you suggest.

For instance, and from my personal perspective, I would simply camp the AI locations and let some other outlander begin the assault, then take him/her out from distance. If no outlander bothered to engage with them, then I would consider taking them on just before or after the drop for easy loot, as they would presumably be quite dumb and predicable. As it would be of no use if they took out any outlander who approached.

Not cricket you may say, but the name of the game is survival and getting off the map with as much loot as you can.

I find it difficult enough dealing with human outlanders to be bothered dealing with AI's, whilst not knowing who may be hovering around training their sights on me.

That instance for which you would do, is something that i would intend to happen, which makes players think more strategic about areas they engage. This would bring another element to the whole survival aspect, along with bringing a new threat to the map and maybe introduce alil bit more story telling to the game. With introduction of the A.I. enemies roaming the map, could help provide more into the back story of the game, maybe the A.I. could be part of a disarray military faction that caused the collapse of humanity. The A.I. could have conversation with themselves and us as the players could hear that and try to piece together the story to figure out what happen. I think this could be a great addition to the game and help it flourish. 

• Thanks 1

I believe we’re daydreaming fantasy gameplay here, a game like this that has no ai to begin with would likely struggle to implement this especially seeing how bug ridden it is already in its current state. Not to mention a feature like this would require ai programming that’s liable to need maintenance every now and then and fail to be cost effect on the devs side of things. Nice idea as it may be we’ve all wished for ai implementation in certain games we like but very few games do this because it’s just not good business model. We can all hope one day awesome innovative new features pop up in the future but for vigor this is one I don’t particularly care for. I’d rather have more maps, weapons and shelter development  

• Like 1

It could be interesting for only one location, a new point of interest on the map. Same loot as the safe or almost + 2 or 3 npcs with their poor stuff. (buying % loot could improve their stuff).

So if you make a new location as the safe, that could help prevent to find ALL the teams on 1 point of the map. That could prevent the camping, because on a 4 teams max like Battery, you would camp for nothing, as 1 or 2 teams would be on the safe, one in base, one a radar. 

AI or not, a new important location would help anyway. But I'm for a small new place with 2 bad guys. No need more if they're dangerous enough.

23 hours ago, Matthew Aiken said:

I believe we’re daydreaming fantasy gameplay here, a game like this that has no ai to begin with would likely struggle to implement this especially seeing how bug ridden it is already in its current state. Not to mention a feature like this would require ai programming that’s liable to need maintenance every now and then and fail to be cost effect on the devs side of things. Nice idea as it may be we’ve all wished for ai implementation in certain games we like but very few games do this because it’s just not good business model. We can all hope one day awesome innovative new features pop up in the future but for vigor this is one I don’t particularly care for. I’d rather have more maps, weapons and shelter development  

I agree with the game is already glitchy, buggy, therefore throwing AI stuff out there would be even more of a challenge for the devs. I also agree with needing more shelter improvements, maybe some new kinds of materials. But I do think the game would benefit a lot from an idea like this, it worked in Escape from Tarkov, which is a "similar" type game.