Harvath.S

(SOLVED) kbTell has no audio.

I have searched and searched and cannot find an answer to my problem. I've used kbTell pretty regularly in my mission making and never had an issue.

This morning I added an OGG file to my Sound folder in a mission, made sure the LIP file was present, defined it in my texts.bikb file, and then added my script. When I activate the trigger my NPC's lips begin moving and the hint in the trigger (to ensure it fires) pops up. But..... No sound!

I spent roughly two hours double checking my definitions, scripts, and the trigger to ensure that I hadn't missed a darned ';' anywhere. Nothing. 

I will post my files when I get home (I am currently at work) but until that point; has anyone else had any issues with kbTell not playing the sound even though it's clearly reading and playing the LIP file? Is there something that I could be forgetting somehow based on my actions above?

Thanks in advance for the help. 

EDIT:
texts.bikb and my script controlling the kbTell are in the following spoilers.

texts.bikb

Spoiler

class Sentences
{
	class brief_1
	{
		text = "";	//Subtitles
		speech[] = {"\Sound\Mission_I_Havoc_6_Brief.ogg"};    //Path to the sound file
		actor = "Havoc6";	//unit that is speaking
		variant = "";
		variantText = "";
		class Arguments {};
	};
};

class Arguments{};
class Special{};
startWithVocal[] = {hour};
startWithConsonant[] = {europe, university};

briefing.sqf

Spoiler

Havoc6 kbAddTopic ["briefing","texts.bikb","",""];

Havoc6 kbTell [havoc,"briefing","brief_1"];

verify ogg format

\sounds is relative path for mods

try without lip file

12 hours ago, Harvath.S said:

When I activate the trigger my NPC's lips begin moving and the hint in the trigger (to ensure it fires) pops up. But..... No sound!

Does the unit have a radio?

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, .kju said:

verify ogg format

\sounds is relative path for mods

try without lip file

Check 1 and check 3, no change. Not sure I follow you about it being the relative path for mods. Does that mean it's not reading it because it's script? That doesn't make sense in my mind and also doesn't jive with the multiple other missions I have made using that same technique. Would you mind explaining further so I can grasp what you're saying there?

1 hour ago, Larrow said:

Does the unit have a radio?

Yes. Not not the typical type. We use ACRE2 so it's an inventory item and not assigned to itemRadio. That's never caused an issue before, but I'll try it without ACRE2 loaded and see what happens. 

11 minutes ago, Harvath.S said:

That's never caused an issue before

Strange, I have never got conversations using KB and bikb to play( create sound ) without the unit having a radio. Text will always show without radio, but sound will never play.

For instance THIS example mission. Remove the radio from informat and he will behave as you describe, lip and text but no sound.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Larrow said:

Strange, I have never got conversations using KB and bikb to play( create sound ) without the unit having a radio. Text will always show without radio, but sound will never play.

Now I am really messed up. I just went through and tested some of my other missions. Without fail not a single one of them is working anymore with kb.

I wish it was as easy as adding radios back, but with ACRE2 removing the itemRadio I might be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Although, if the LIP file is working..... and it's just an issue with kbTell..... I could theoretically use say3D to play the audio and still let the bikb run the LIP file, could I not?

UPDATE

I deleted the texts.bikb, redefined the OGG file in the description.ext, and attempted to play it from three different sources (NPC, laptop, loudspeaker) using say3D. There is no audio at all.

I am at a complete loss for what is happening now. cfgRadio continues to work (regardless of the fact the there is no itemRadio present {don't question it}) but kbTell and say3D are not.

I would make the argument that my audio files are corrupt, but I can play them in literally any program that reads OGG without issue so I know that is not the case.

I can pass everything through with cfgRadio and apologize to my players for it, but I would really prefer to figure out a way to make this dang thing happen, even if its a workaround. I will also scour the ACRE2 thread and see if anyone has had an issue with kbTell over there. Maybe they can provide some input.

I believe what .kju points out is that you have speech[]= looking for a game sound instead of a custom sound.

In Conversations example, "\Sound\hello.ogg" represents using game sound, "Sound\gk.ogg" and "Sound\bold.ogg" represent using custom sounds.

If that's not causing the issue, then have you tried with all mods disabled, not just ACRE?  First step to resolve whether mod conflict occurs.

1 hour ago, opusfmspol said:

I believe what .kju points out is that you have speech[]= looking for a game sound instead of a custom sound.

In Conversations example, "\Sound\hello.ogg" represents using game sound, "Sound\gk.ogg" and "Sound\bold.ogg" represent using custom sounds.

If that's not causing the issue, then have you tried with all mods disabled, not just ACRE?  First step to resolve whether mod conflict occurs.

That was not the issue. The bikb file doesn't recognize the reference at all if it is not defined as /Sound.

BUT! I got frustrated and decided that it HAD to be an issue with ACRE removing the itemRadio. So, I decided to try and force linking the itemRadio to the NPC speaking via my init file and BINGO!

3 hours ago, Larrow said:

For instance THIS example mission. Remove the radio from informat and he will behave as you describe, lip and text but no sound.

You nailed it on the head here. Since I was able to force the linking of the radio it all works as expected!

Thank you gentlemen for the help!

• Like 2

I reported this years ago, LOL. https://feedback.bistudio.com/T82860

Worked fine in Arma 2, but I think some of the new features added to speaking in A3 broke it. They tried telling me to use direct speech parameter, but it doesn't matter. You have to have that radio in inventory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, AZCoder said:

Worked fine in Arma 2

Hmm, i thought I remembered direct working in A2. Glad to know I'm not going crazy.

• Like 1