Bukain

AAF GA carriers

Are the any of GA carrier variants portray in Arma 3 exist in reallife? If so, does anyone know which real life body armor they based on?

Some say they're OTV. That is the older version of IOTV(improved outer tactical vest) from US military right? When i google around for "OTV" and "outer tactical vest", the images that come up doesn't look like ingame carrier. Most of the vest come up in Google image search kinda more alike to interceptor body armor and IOTV. I still couldn't find a vest/armor that look like ingame GA carrier anywhere online.

But still, I kinda remember unintentionally coming across similar vest wore by Greeks, somewhere online Also French, and German at some point. Not exactly sure how i got to see them though. That make me more confuse. 

So how can i find online if the ingame GA carrier exist in reallife? 

Thank all

Bukain

i think that all models are slightly different from real life. due copyright rules, look the mk14 

They are not OTVs. The AAF vest is directly based off a greek vest made for an Afghanistan ISAF deployment in 2010. Its kind of rare and there are not a lot of pictures of it, they stopped making it after that deployment as far as I know.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKtaibh78TOJNLERq7L-tZi1_0dCRVvuHKkTx1FRI1Xi5lRsEmyQ&s429827a07195113d578d41976b6bf058--ancient-greece-armed-forces.jpg2011-10-26.jpg

19jp1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Zukov, yes you're right, i don't like it personally. I wish they make direct implement of weapons and equipments. But what can we say, BI just made the game for 2035.

I wonder how did they make the weapons, vests, vehicles, etc... so realistic/real-life-like back in the days with Arma 2, ofp and such things, i mean. Is it true that most if not all the things in CUP are ported from the older Arma right? Same for rhs right? Did they (modders) changed any externalities of contents? I'm too late to the Arma community to be able to play the pre-Arma 3 Armas in their respective hey days. Was BI also done changing of the name/model designation of weapons, vehicles and stuffs back then too? 

Just curious. You guys must be so much fun back then having to see a game company developing realistic modern warfare simulation game 😄

i think one is cold war era and another is, also cold war? Why didn't they made 2010s i imagine. That would be more fun at least for a first timer like me. Now my first experience with Arma is 2035:( for a military geek myself, it hurts lol

7 hours ago, Bukain said:

I wonder how did they make the weapons, vests, vehicles, etc... so realistic/real-life-like back in the days with Arma 2, ofp and such things, i mean. Is it true that most if not all the things in CUP are ported from the older Arma right? Same for rhs right? Did they (modders) changed any externalities of contents? I'm too late to the Arma community to be able to play the pre-Arma 3 Armas in their respective hey days.

"Realistic" is stretching it. Arma has never depicted 100% authentic lineups of equipment in every game. Take OFP for instance; a mixture of futuristic (PP-19 Bizons, RG-6s) and super anachronistic stuff (Tokarevs, AH-1s) etc. all mashed together in the mid 1980s. Gets worse when you take into account that Resistance had modernised Ka-50s (!) in full service with the Red Army... in 1982 no less...

Arma 1 had this weird hybrid of decommissioned vehicles for the USA (M163 VADS in 2006...?) along with U.S. Army soldiers wearing Marine helmets/uniforms and flying AH-1Zs (...in 2006/07), plus Marines with Strykers and wearing UCP. Then we go to Arma 2 with Marines using F-35Bs (in 2009...), M1A2s and A10s/Apaches, plus Russians with BTR-90s (!), AK-107s, Su-34s, etc. OA had U.S. Army troops using MTVRs and SCARs. Never mind the impossible combination of M998 HMMWVs fitted with Gen 1 CROWS turrets, or the shoulder-fired Metis-Ms (!) pretending to be Russian Javelins.

Only hardcore milsimmers seem to think Arma 3 is an anomaly with "futuristic" assets because their favourite AK/M16/M4 are no longer available outside of mods. The irony however, is that Arma 3 actually has very outdated stuff despite being set in the late 2030s...

Was BI also done changing of the name/model designation of weapons, vehicles and stuffs back then too?

OA's Military Offroad (Land Rovers) comes to mind. As does the Utility Truck (Kamaz) and G17 (Glock 17). Even HMMWVs are referred to as "HMMMXs" now. Companies nowadays are getting increasingly draconian with having "negative" portrayals of their stuff in games, so they're going after devs more fervently for not buying a licence from them. Time isn't an excuse either - Activision was sued by AM General eight years after Call of Duty: MW2 was released for depicting HMMWVs without a licence.

Then you've got Glock trademarking the appearance of their pistols, Bell Helicopters going after EA for UH-1s in Battlefield 3, etc. the list goes on. Licencing is a pain to deal with and BI is no exception, hence why most things in Arma 3 don't use their real names and aren't 100% modelled after their real-world counterparts.

Why didn't they made 2010s i imagine. That would be more fun at least for a first timer like me. Now my first experience with Arma is 2035:( for a military geek myself, it hurts lol

Because BI didn't want to stick with the "modern" era? Heck, Arma 3 wasn't even envisioned as a military sandbox until Futura was ultimately scrapped. And besides, there were already two main games, two expansion packs and three DLCs made for the 2010s era. 3's shift into the near future was a good direction despite the strange asset choices.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Drebin, thanks for whole lotta infos, reminders and experiences as someone who had got to actually played old Armas. Seem like Arma has been like this from the start. Meaning it wouldn't like survive to this point without the modding community.

I don't know much about the past as i never played Arma until now. I think i was enjoy playing need for speed underground, red alert 2, age of empires, ES Morrowind, and such. Never been a fps shooter guy myself until Arma 3. Oh once played BF 1943 and Vietnam though. After those two, seriously all these years between i can't remember i touched a shooter game. In game Arma case the Eden editor (sandbox feature) makes some difference, making the game Arma interesting for people like us who doesn't like intense multiplayer shooting games but have some geeks in military stuffs(in the blood too;)). Also the campaign is nothing like that of other shooter games I've tried (failed in interest), BF, CoD included. It feel like there's abit of farcry in Arma 😄 freeroam open world which is my favorite genre. 

Once played and in loved with Battlefield 1943(1942? 44?), and Vietnam though, having really good time. But after the Vietnam i stop playing it. I think it was BF2 that come out. The community become filled with annoying peoples, but the main reason being my cousins went to stop playing it too. I have no friends aside that

Always been a RPG freeroam adventure (i.e  assassin c, fallout, ES) kinda person. Never imagine of me becoming this much addicted to some military game. Very grateful i have it

• Like 1