zozo

Arma 3 Apex: Old Man Feedback

I found a solution to the above problem by basically "risking" wasting time to load up about 1 hour of previous game play and did everything over and then it worked, Miller continued the dialogue and the game was completed. 

Experienced my first major issue. The insurgents information button shows they only need $5k more or one more winning battle. A support task is active but, conveniently, I'm really close to a Stash. So I drive over there and deposit $6k+. The money needed immediately goes to 10e+12. That's a trillion bucks! The number of successful battles needed goes even higher. It's like I didn't support them enough prior to this point and now they're just done with me. Any tips or am I going to need to restart from scratch?

6 hours ago, glynnebradley said:

Experienced my first major issue. The insurgents information button shows they only need $5k more or one more winning battle. A support task is active but, conveniently, I'm really close to a Stash. So I drive over there and deposit $6k+. The money needed immediately goes to 10e+12. That's a trillion bucks! The number of successful battles needed goes even higher. It's like I didn't support them enough prior to this point and now they're just done with me. Any tips or am I going to need to restart from scratch?

You're a small time buddy, you need to get into wholesale and get those trillions running.

Maybe load another save, further away or try another stash?

On 6/19/2020 at 10:13 PM, glynnebradley said:

In all likelihood you're at 2/2 level which is the max level, there isn't another one.

Can't say it's necessarily better for you, you'll get insurgents with 1 magazine in the weapon only and no spare because someone forgot to change the entire loadout instead of just the weapon.

• Like 1

I'm at tuvanaka airport trying to steal a Y-32. But I get shot by a zsu-39 tigris every time. But I don't know where that thing is. 

Edit: never mind, it only spawns after you take off with the plane.

Totally unplayable because sleeping is broken.  It says to drag the minute hand, but the minute hand is not draggable.  Really, due only to the fortune of my 3 SD above average intellect, I intuited that the dev bound drag activation to the "fire" key, instead of hard coding the mouse button.  Makes you wonder how many that do not use defaults were less fortunate.

Does anyone know if BI is still willing fix stuff or if the project is 'closed'?

There are still some 'gamebreaking' bugs

Spoiler

The ending where you give the counter-agent to the insurgents is still broken.

You can put the counter-agent into the blue van, but nothing happens.

The ending & the achievements are inaccessable.

34 minutes ago, Marcel1802 said:

Does anyone know if BI is still willing fix stuff or if the project is 'closed'?

In recent OPREP they talked about Old Man development and various modules associated with it but it's not really of much comfort. @Dedmen said he'll look into it and while I have faith in him, it's taking a while and will likely continue so.

Therefore, until then

37 minutes ago, Marcel1802 said:

There are still some 'gamebreaking' bugs

Hello, I really like the Old Man scenario but I have been stuck since April while trying to finish one task Miller gave me. I think it is close to the end of the scenario. I was supposed to install a virus on any CSAT computer. I decided to pick one on the west island's base of CSAT. Unfortunately, every time I try to install it Miller's report about the status of installing a virus always stuck at 78 %. I can't go before this mission because of the savegame system nor pass it and finish the story. Could you please try to do something about it in the next update? I'd be really grateful.

Thanks,

Jakub

q6twquP.jpg

It's now been three months since the last SITREP which mentioned that "several other fixes will arrive in the next update" for Old Man.

Would be great to get an update on whether or not these fixes are still planned and when they're coming.

• Like 1

Cannot load the saved game. Incompatible versions.

Can anyone confirm that "Flash Drive/Upload Virus" quest has actually been fixed? I'm not sure I want to replay the whole thing just to get stuck again.

The scenario continues the BIS tradition of portraying the Chinese and Russians, or any non-NATO state for that matter, as savages like early 20th century war posters and contemporary western MSM propaganda while Americans and Brits rush around saving cats from trees.  Whatever.

The economy is broken.  You can just drive around collecting loot from bodies and sell it to rebels until you are rich and can buy the apocalyptic arsenals that somehow random civilian dealers in a poor country have laying around.  Too much time is just junk collecting.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Sertica said:

The scenario continues the BIS tradition of portraying the Chinese and Russians, or any non-NATO state for that matter, as savages like early 20th century war posters and contemporary western MSM propaganda while Americans and Brits rush around saving cats from trees.  Whatever.

Oh you know... Tanoa looks like Haïti (not Tahiti), first African Independent Republic, previously French colony, and one of the poorest countries in the world (for multiple reasons)..., or even Cuba, language excepted. And yes, Old Man has something realistic somewhere, even if mixing some relationships. As French, I could think Old Man (an old foreign French army, my friends) and Gendarmerie (my son is), very distorted. If you start in such debate, you forget the play.
I'm not sure that's the BI (Arma) role or intention, for giving credits to one or another camp/country. So, there is no tradition like that, imho. And, first of all, the whole community can participate in scenarios, more or less historic, realistic and immersive. See CUP, RHS, UNSUNG,... motivated by a good level of details or true performances in assets, not really involved in what you're doing with.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:47 PM, Janez said:

Can anyone confirm that "Flash Drive/Upload Virus" quest has actually been fixed? I'm not sure I want to replay the whole thing just to get stuck again.

So I replayed the whole thing and... I can confirm that Disable autonomous turrets \ Install Virus quest IS STILL BROKEN! Upon picking up the yellow Flash Drive, it throws the error in spoiler below and already reported on previous page in this thread. After plugging it into a computer at CSAT sawmill Base, nothing happens.

Have we not reported the issues? Have we not been patiently waiting for next update? Seriously, what gives?

This should have been a hotfix in matter of days, not waiting FIVE months for an update that didn't fix a broken quest! You know, black pistol recolor is cute and all but is fixing this really too much to ask for?

This has always been the problem in Arma, especially 2 and 3. Half baked, bare bones game modes that failed because of just that, not because they weren't fun. You know why Warfare was so popular in Arma 1? Because it worked. It worked with 1 player or a full server.

I've had a feeling it will turn out this ways. I have a lot more to say about this whole thing but I'll wait a bit more, just in case someone nonetheless decides to hotfix this.

Destroy Silos QRF error is also still a thing.

23:22:30 Error in expression <;
private _task = ([(format["quest%1", _questId]), player] call BIS_fnc_taskRea>
23:22:31   Error position: <_questId]), player] call BIS_fnc_taskRea>
23:22:31   Error Undefined variable in expression: _questid
23:22:31 File \A3\Missions_F_Oldman\Systems\scripts\Quests\fn_setDescription.sqf [BIS_fnc_setDescription]..., line 572
23:22:31 Error in expression <if (count _property > 1) then {_property#1} else {nil}} else {nil};
};

pri>
23:22:31   Error position: <#1} else {nil}} else {nil};
};

pri>
23:22:31   Error Generic error in expression
23:22:31 File \A3\Missions_F_Oldman\Systems\scripts\Quests\fn_questData.sqf [BIS_fnc_questData]..., line 648
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I created couple of tickets on feedback tracker if it makes any difference. As we can see, it shouldn't take some monumental effort to fix these. For the missions author(s) or someone involved it should be a quick one to fix some inventory check that fails. Its even more disheartening since Old Man was worked on towards 2.00 update.

• Like 2

While the latest dev build didn't fix the problems above, it did introduce some fixes to Old Man. So, @h - and everyone that reported issues in quite the detail in this thread, please make a ticket on the Feedback Tracker and lets try to make this happen for the next major update.

I hoped to play Old Man until Cyberpunk 2077 comes out but it seems like I'll be playing Cyberpunk until Old Man is fixed.

By the way, has anyone noticed the brilliant walkthroughs and other useful information on Armed Assault Wiki?

If one goes to either Saint-George Airport or Aeroport de Tanoa BEFORE meeting Arthur then not all objects meant to be spawned are actually spawned and this leads to some funny situations. E.g. a Tigris at Aeroport de Tanoa is not crewed and can be taken over, there are no infantry at Saint-George Airport except for Kamysh and HMG crew and the latter can be headshot with ease thus having an HMG early in the game "for free". It seems the problem is that for the first mission - meet Arthur - a civilian is used as the protagonist and this leads to Old Man Sectors modules whose owner is set to East not to spawn infantry that is not part of the crew. Sectors with ownership set to None work just fine as well as those "faulty" air sectors but in latter missions where a proper BLUFOR protagonist is used.

i've been trying to finish the old man scenario for almost an entire week but scripts keep breaking. i will go turn in say; a wallet id or top secret files or malaria meds, and the quest givers will take the thing and not complete the quest. i've had to restart several times each with several hours into the story. farthest i got was when the doc wants you to start bringing in meds and i'll give him 10 boxes and he just stands there. does it have something to do with running mods? i've cut back to only absolute basics like lower grass, reduced haze, and sspcm to cut around the extra bs like driving into a checkpoint and the uav never takes off, or all the guards unload into you anyway. please keep working on this scenario. its a really cool idea. i remember the original concept for this back in 2011 and it sounded really unique. 

The fact is:

Spoiler

You will be an old man when you complete this mission without bug.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Paul Netzel said:

i've been trying to finish the old man scenario for almost an entire week but scripts keep breaking. i will go turn in say; a wallet id or top secret files or malaria meds, and the quest givers will take the thing and not complete the quest. i've had to restart several times each with several hours into the story. farthest i got was when the doc wants you to start bringing in meds and i'll give him 10 boxes and he just stands there. does it have something to do with running mods? i've cut back to only absolute basics like lower grass, reduced haze, and sspcm to cut around the extra bs like driving into a checkpoint and the uav never takes off, or all the guards unload into you anyway. please keep working on this scenario. its a really cool idea. i remember the original concept for this back in 2011 and it sounded really unique. 

Hi there and welcome to the BI forums!

Please create a ticket on Arma 3 Feedback Tracker for every issue that you encountered. Here is a "How To" Guide. I think you can log in with your BI account, not 100% sure.

It's obvious by now that this thread does not function as a vessel for our feedback but tickets have a chance to be eventually resolved. They actually fixed the broken Disable Autonomous Turrets quest in 12-11-2020 dev build.

I started playing this game last week and had fun until I came across some bugs. I am not sure I will continue if I find there are bugs that prevent finishing the campaign.

So after spending a lot of time trying to find Feedback Tracker "tasks" related to Old Man bugs and learning how to create a dashboard, I share with you the public "Old Man Dashboard" in order to:

• allow players to quickly find existing bugs and avoid creating duplicates
  • allow players to track progress made by Bohemia devs in solving the 'game breaking' bugs (I propose all game breaking bugs should have the highest priority which is 'Immediate', not 'Urgent')
  • allow Bohemia devs to prioritize their work on the 'game breaking' bugs as indicated by the players

Please let me know what you think about the dashboard and I will update it if needed.

URL: https://feedback.bistudio.com/dashboard/view/123/

Query details for "New":

• Keyword: "Old Man"
  • Tags: Arma 3
  • Statuses: New, Feedback
  • Updated After: 2020-04-13
  • Description: these bugs should be prioritized as soon as possible
    • priority 'Immediate": 'game breaking' issues that make it impossible to finish the campaign
    • priority 'Urgent': 'quest breaking' issues that allow finishing the campaign even though some quests cannot be completed

Query details for "In Progress"

• Statuses: Acknowledged, Assigned, Reviewed, Confirmed
  • Description: BIS devs should use Confirmed if they managed to reproduce the issue

Query details for "Waiting"

• Statuses: Need more info
  • Description: BIS devs should set this state if they need more steps for reproducing the issue

Query details for "Closed"

• Statuses: Duplicate, Resolved
  • Description: for 'Resolved' issues, BIS devs should indicate a possible fix release date

EDIT

I created 2 new public dashboards in Feedback Tracker to make life easier for bug reporters who don't want waste their time learning how dashboards work

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I would like to start Old Man campaign once again from the beginning. All previous games I was not able to finish because of corrupted save file and unable to load game anymore. (Save file started to be very big and arma always crashed after loading it)

My question is, what is the actual state of Old Man scenario after last game update. Is there still this bug? Or is is possible to avoid it somehow?

Many thanks for advices and have a nice day!

Sincerely Tomas

@tom4_atpl, well the saves are still gigantic, start of at over 100mb. Personally, I never had CTDs when loading saved games since Old Man was officially released, so you'd have to test that yourself.

Otherwise, I've been able to play through and complete all objectives up to ending route splits. Although, the Disable Autonomous Turrets task title never got marked as completed, only it's sub objectives. It got canceled after I completed Prevent Malaria Crisis primary objective. If anyone can confirm if Disable Autonomous Turrets task is actually cursed at this point or not, that would be great.

Status Quo ending worked fine, I didn't have it in me to play the other ones, perhaps someone else can chime in on that.

Is there any known workaround for the map menu issue where the info button stops working after reloading save? When I quit the mission and then load it up again it works again. But as soon as I die and reload a save from within the scenario the info button doesn't work anymore, and all other buttons below show wrong menus. It's like all buttons would have move one "step" to the right. Is there a knwon mod conflict causing that? Or is it just a known bug? I'm only using a few mods that - actually - should not interfere with the map or the UI at all.