zozo

Arma 3 Apex: Old Man Feedback

36 minutes ago, hneel said:

I did the 'support attack' mission on Cerebu. But now it keeps coming with new such missions. Does it ever stop?

There are many other tasks I'd like to do, but these always have a very short time frame. 

What happens if I'd skip them?

It never stops coming, but it changes locations. Nothing happens if you skip them.

If you do enough of them, you can "level up" the insurgents (al alternative is to give them lots of weapons), and get your rep with them higher.

I also find them helpful for clearing certain locations - they help, and you don't need to hire a team to help you, and you get bonuses for it... but often until they've leveled up, they aren't very helpful and you need to take out the objective on your own.

Hello,

I have a bug too:

when I rescue the prisonner, I'm told to get his ID paper and give it to his friend.

I take the ID and give it to his friend, but nothing happens.

On 5/3/2020 at 11:52 AM, Ex3B said:

I finally got past virus upload, no bug encountered on the release version. Because of your comment, I didn't take the ID card, just so I could get that QRF with suppressors. What I got was an armed Orca with a squad of Viper, all with a conventional loadout: wielding Type 115s with 6.5mm suppressors.

Yeah that's cos you took them off vipers. Look for recon teams. Also there's an officer with a 5.8mm suppressor inside the CSAT camp at Balavu.

On 5/18/2020 at 10:56 AM, hneel said:

I did the 'support attack' mission on Cerebu. But now it keeps coming with new such missions. Does it ever stop?

There are many other tasks I'd like to do, but these always have a very short time frame. 

What happens if I'd skip them?

You can skip them as you want, they get cancelled and another shows up shortly after. A bit too frequently in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 11:10 PM, Wiki said:

Hello,

I have a bug too:

when I rescue the prisonner, I'm told to get his ID paper and give it to his friend.

I take the ID and give it to his friend, but nothing happens.

Same here.  Tried to turn wallet in at Rebel Stash mentioned in message, but have no idea who to turn it into.
I also have some issue with taking files to Keystone.  No menu or action item once I get to him.

On 12/22/2019 at 7:33 PM, R0adki11 said:

Not sure what your on about FPS, are you running other mods? Whats your PC spec like?

Why would we need a flip vehicle script, if you crash your car perhaps learn to take care of it better.

Perhaps code a vehicle so that it doesn't flip six times and end upside down when you just slightly graze a rock with a quad runner.

On 5/20/2020 at 9:23 AM, TommyNage said:

Yeah that's cos you took them off vipers. Look for recon teams. Also there's an officer with a 5.8mm suppressor inside the CSAT camp at Balavu.

But that isn't at all what you said in the post I was replying to. You said that you did this virus upload at the csat position south of miller, had reinforcements arrive by helicopter, which you then shot and obtained a 5.8mn suppressor. I attempted to do just that, and viper showed up with 6.5mn suppressors.

I have since followed other advice and obtained a 5.8mm suppressor from a recon soldier around the volcano.

14 hours ago, Ex3B said:

But that isn't at all what you said in the post I was replying to. You said that you did this virus upload at the csat position south of miller, had reinforcements arrive by helicopter, which you then shot and obtained a 5.8mn suppressor. I attempted to do just that, and viper showed up with 6.5mn suppressors.

I have since followed other advice and obtained a 5.8mm suppressor from a recon soldier around the volcano.

I guess I'm just luckier than you are. I picked up both suppressors within the same mission. 🤷‍♂️

Pick up Flash Drive task stuck

I get this error message when picking up the flash drive with virus from Miller and the task wont update. He also says "Ah good, you're here." again, right after he finishes the virus pep talk, like he was addressing me for another quest but doesn't proceed.

10:48:29 Error in expression <;
private _task = ([(format["quest%1", _questId]), player] call BIS_fnc_taskRea>
10:48:29   Error position: <_questId]), player] call BIS_fnc_taskRea>
10:48:29   Error Undefined variable in expression: _questid
10:48:29 File \A3\Missions_F_Oldman\Systems\scripts\Quests\fn_setDescription.sqf [BIS_fnc_setDescription]..., line 572
10:48:29 Error in expression <if (count _property > 1) then {_property#1} else {nil}} else {nil};
};

pri>
10:48:29   Error position: <#1} else {nil}} else {nil};
};

pri>
10:48:29   Error Generic error in expression
10:48:29 File \A3\Missions_F_Oldman\Systems\scripts\Quests\fn_questData.sqf [BIS_fnc_questData]..., line 648

Syndicate Destroy Silos Mission

Another error popped up, when I one-man-armied destroy silos mission but I'm afraid I cannot find the log about it. It was something about in range of a trigger area. I didn't wait for syndicate teams, I just shot one of the fuel trucks with a RPG as soon as I was withing ~100m.

Keycards

Also, what is the difference between v2 and v3 keycard, if someone can explain without spoiling please.

6 hours ago, TommyNage said:

I guess I'm just luckier than you are. I picked up both suppressors within the same mission. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, I'm not following the entire conversation so this might be a moot point but you can also get a couple of 5.8 suppressors at once from recon teams that spawn around the map as either random patrols or reinforcements to fights you have with patrols. Although, these random patrols and Syndicate vs. CSAT engagements kinda die down after a while.

On 5/22/2020 at 7:16 PM, Two Dogs said:

Same here.  Tried to turn wallet in at Rebel Stash mentioned in message, but have no idea who to turn it into.
I also have some issue with taking files to Keystone.  No menu or action item once I get to him.

Got it figured.   Yuo must have the task "Assigned" in the map screen  before attempting any task specific actions.  Such as picking up items, interacting with indiviuals, ect...

Is there any word on an update? Hotfix maybe? Would really appreciate it since I'm rather stuck here.

Quite, the thing is pretty broken.

Such as:
Does the call for insurgent attack stuff actually work?
Decided to try that, tells me to click on a marker on the map so click on a CSAT base marker a dozen times and nothing happens. The map cursor does turn into the red target reticle when over the marker but doesn't react at all.
Tried a few times but with no result. :shrug:
Then tried later again elsewhere, this time got to set the time when the attack would happen, the task is created, then like seconds later Samjo calls "OK, we go!" and the task is completed (green) and the attack doesn't happen.
Tried several times with the same result..

Spoiler

However, the install virus task that seems to be bugging out for other people worked flawlessly for me.

- This appeared when I fast traveled to Lifou:

Error in expression <

0 = [] spawn  
{
waituntil {!isnull bis_discolight2};
 _lights = [bis_discol>
 Error position: <bis_discolight2};
 _lights = [bis_discol>
Error Undefined variable in expression: bis_discolight2
Error in expression <1, 100];

0 = [] spawn  
{
waituntil {!isnull bis_discolight2};
 _lights = [bi>
   Error position: <!isnull bis_discolight2};
 _lights = [bi>
   Error Undefined behavior: waitUntil returned nil. True or false expected.

- Some wave (water) sound effect attached to my left side at some point and doesn't go away 😄
- Seems that things get a bit iffy when playing for a long time as things that should be spawned when you reach their position are not, for example:
  The "murder crossroads" near the home you can see the bodies standing up for a while before falling to the ground, etc similar stuff.

Spoiler

The blow up police station task, after completing it and driving away in a car suddenly a police roadblock appeared in front of me from thin air; police car blocking the road and a police standing next to it, so close that I had no time to react, just scream like a girl and crash into it.

- Finally got to the end:

Spoiler

- As reported numerous times before the syndicat ending doesn't work, nothing happens when you deliver the counter-agent into the designated box.
- After shooting Miller in the face this popped up

Error in expression <ueue_logic") getVariable "activeaction")#8;
[1,
[ 
[{["eve_miller_threatened","n>
Error position: <#8;
[1,
[ 
[{["eve_miller_threatened","n>
Error #: Type String, expected Array

- The doctor ending is broken as well:

• you can give the item to the doctor through the cabin walls (behind the cabin in the corner that has the reddish-brownish-whatever inaccessible extension) and through the windows......
  • The second I take the keys from the guard (as in immediately they are in my inventory) the doctor runs out though the locked door and bolts off into the jungle. Sooo, kinda hard to deliver the counter-agent to the guy. He calls to me twice in a row from somewhere in the jungle saying something I already forgot..
  • Then Samjo calls and threatens me, and a few seconds later he calls to inform me that some attack happens in 5 minutes. The guy has some split personality disorder?
  • Also I don't really understand this Syndicat anyway, I'm all good with them but willy-nilly they decide to think of me as enemy (like in the doctor's hideout) and if I return fire Samjo calls threats to me. Sounds to me that the guy should be calling his men instead. But I guess this is like this because the story has to happen...

- The only ending that works is the Miller ending. Although I don't really get why I have to dive to the SDV because absolutely nothing happens with it.

Destroy AA Radar Dome QRF error

I cleared the area around the radar dome but left to dump weapons into nearest stash before destroying it, this error popped up.

19:45:43 Error in expression <f_areaParam
};
private _v = FALSE;
if ((count _qrfqrf_areaParam) > _index) then >
19:45:43   Error position: <count _qrfqrf_areaParam) > _index) then >
19:45:43   Error count: Type Number, expected Array,String,Config entry
19:45:43 File \A3\Missions_F_Oldman\Systems\scripts\QRF\Internal\fn_qrf_areaParam.sqf [BIS_fnc_qrf_areaParam]..., line 553

Guess with the latest announcement this will be the final state this mission will remain in? Wonder how's the stability these days. With 2 sessions of dozens hour in then rendered impossible to proceed due to technical problems I'm really deterred from trying again. Maybe I should just stop hoarding and sight seeing and speed run this just to see the ending whatever it might be.

When they say they've been "taught a lot of good lessons", I sincerely hope they meant it literally, not as a way of saying "we'll never try that again". This official "open world" campaign was something that I had eagerly anticipated with high hope but tempered expectation since first announced(man that's back mid 2018, with that gestation period can't imagine it was smooth sailing). Personally I would have hoped it to be something more and of a bit different interpretation of "open world" than what it end up being, but on the other hand it is more or less what the rational part of me expected under the circumstance(although I had expected something a bit more performance friendly and less prone to game breaking bugs).

Hopefully in the future they'll draw inspirations from the community dynamic campaigns like DUWS, Antistasi or WLA:Amalgamation and others than I didn't have the chance to find out about. And take another shot at the concept when circumstances are more favorable.

5 hours ago, mmm said:

Guess with the latest announcement this will be the final state this mission will remain in?

We cannot however continue long-term development of "Old Man" now.

Yeah, I get not developing it further with new features and whatnot but they simply cannot leave Install Virus quest and such broken.

1 hour ago, Janez said:

they simply cannot

"They" just did! :hehe:

At this moment Old Man is simply unplayable beyond first few missions - though it's a bit of a dice roll whether player gets first kick in a butt from performance issues, or quest bugs. But it seems that 'Hemia is not interested in fixing this for reasons we can only speculate*. Question is if they ever were, because several issues mentioned on the first page of this thread are still present in the Old Man.

Bohemia has a history of abandoning their games suddenly (Take on Mars being the most offending example), but it's definitely "first" in Arma series. In previous Arma titles, even though they still have issues, you can play official missions and campaigns from start to end without encountering huge problems. With Old Man it's impossible.

*There's interesting activity on the feedback tracker - some tickets are apparently abandoned (devs are unassigning), while others (especially ones related to basic engine features) are added to a "Restricted project".

1 hour ago, krzychuzokecia said:

"They" just did! :hehe:

I truly hope this will only remain a joke. I appreciate this free content but if issues that actually brake the mission do not get fixed, I am seriously going to reconsider my view of BI.

Just yesterday, dunno what was going through my mind, I decided to try MP in NFS Heat. Turns out, you cannot go online if you have more then unknown number of cars in your garage... They abandoned a game that came out about half a year ago and has that kind of... issue? That's an understatement. I cannot even... I'm still baffled.

Side note: you have to replace that in your sig with W0lle's back! 🙂

This and the previous ARGO thing, I wonder what they expected from the side projects. They weren't sold for money, arguable not in states that can be sold for money either, didn't further iterate into paid product, and plugs were pull in short order. Call me pessimistic but I can only assume they found out both were beyond fixing early on and because how they're released the cost to terminate is low. And nobody gets to see what the follow up to the experiments look like.

While doing major overhaul on singleplayer defies logic in most games, I'd say dynamic full map SP in ARMA 3 is an exception. Those mods are generally results of years of iteration and fixes.

22 hours ago, krzychuzokecia said:

*There's interesting activity on the feedback tracker - some tickets are apparently abandoned (devs are unassigning), while others (especially ones related to basic engine features)

Thats just me doing my work, not related to old man stuff. I only do engine.

20 hours ago, Janez said:

I truly hope this will only remain a joke. I appreciate this free content but if issues that actually brake the mission do not get fixed, I am seriously going to reconsider my view of BI.

I really wish old man gets fixed up, would be sad and honestly a bit infuriating if its just left laying around in broken state.
I don't know anything about Old Man development or whats going on there as thats really not my area.

Old man is non-encrypted, so people could themselves find and fix issues, getting these fixes integrated should be easy.

If it really turns out that we don't have the resources to fix it, I'll try to push some things, and we can maybe let the community help fix.

I agree that abandoning it now really should not be a thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I redid the one man army thing with silos, here's the error log. Same as with Destroy AA Radar Dome. For reference, flash drive error here.

10:25:00 Error in expression <f_areaParam
};
private _v = FALSE;
if ((count _qrfqrf_areaParam) > _index) then >
10:25:00   Error position: <count _qrfqrf_areaParam) > _index) then >
10:25:00   Error count: Type Number, expected Array,String,Config entry
10:25:00 File \A3\Missions_F_Oldman\Systems\scripts\QRF\Internal\fn_qrf_areaParam.sqf [BIS_fnc_qrf_areaParam]..., line 553

This error pops up usually when I approach Home but I've seen it on other occasions as well.

10:32:16 Error in expression < getItemCargo _x, getBackpackCargo _x];
_data set [4, damage _x];
_data set [6, >
10:32:16   Error position: <_data set [4, damage _x];
_data set [6, >
10:32:16   Error Undefined variable in expression: _data
10:32:16 Error in expression <eData");

{
private _data = _vehicleData#_forEachIndex;
private _inventory = [ge>
10:32:16   Error position: <#_forEachIndex;
10:32:16   Error Zero divisor
10:32:16 Error in expression <eData");

{
private _data = _vehicleData#_forEachIndex;
10:32:16   Error position: <#_forEachIndex;
10:32:16   Error Zero divisor

Continuing the off-topic a bit (though it is some form of feedback, even if non-technical one)

On 6/8/2020 at 6:00 PM, Janez said:

I appreciate this free content but if issues that actually brake the mission do not get fixed, I am seriously going to reconsider my view of BI.

On 6/9/2020 at 11:26 AM, mmm said:

I wonder what they expected from the side projects. They weren't sold for money, arguable not in states that can be sold for money either, didn't further iterate into paid product, and plugs were pull in short order. Call me pessimistic but I can only assume they found out both were beyond fixing early on

Old Man always seemed a little bit like a red-headed step-child. I may be wrong, but the first time I heard about it was around free Malden DLC (so around 2017), and it looked like an answer to community cry for proper SP playable content. It took devs two years to release Old Man beta on Workshop, and then few more months for a final version (however, if I'm being honest, I don't see much difference between the two).

Around the time Old Man beta was released, we also heard that A3 development is generally being stopped, with only small team left on that project to fix the most annoying bugs. So, yeah it does kinda feel as if it was off-loaded to the game like a hot potato. How is it true? I dunno, but that brings me to the issue of community-devs relations. As @mmm said, I'd also love to hear what was the outcome of Old Man experiment, what are the lessons from it, what it can bring to Arma series in the future? Even if scenario itself is unplayable, it would be great to know that the whole effort was not in vain. Unfortunately, when I'm skimming through official news like COMRADs, it seems that only good comrades are those who post tacticool Gucci screenshots on Twitter (with no offense to the screenshotters!). :tounge_o:

On 6/9/2020 at 12:40 PM, Dedmen said:

Thats just me doing my work, not related to old man stuff. I only do engine.

I figured, I just mentioned it, because from casual observer point of view it does reinforce the feeling of oh crap! Arma 3 is dead, all hands on deck for the *secret project* (totally not Arma 4! :whistle:)

BTW: good luck engine programmers, we're counting on you!

On 6/8/2020 at 6:00 PM, Janez said:

Side note: you have to replace that in your sig with W0lle's back!

Fixed!

After blowing up the CSAT lab near Tuvanka Airport, I was informed by Miller to go meet him as his team will conduct an attack in order to retrieve the counter-agent. He even tells me to hurry the hell up as I make my way towards him. I arrive at Miller on Saint-Marie island and was greeted by a "Ah, still alive I see", and that is all. From that point on the game completely halts, no progression, no matter what I do. 

Is there a walkaround to this? 

I must say, I was impressed so far as up to this point (9 hours play time), I only encountered 2 main bugs (could not continue to drive out from a check point because a patrol arrived right in front of the car and walked into the car and then the whole checkpoint immediately opened fire at me). Other bug I had was once the Fighter Jet started hunting me, he came in for a strafe run, and as he pulled up his wing struck a radar antenna and he crashed (I welcomed this bug for once, lol).

Anyway, other than that, 9 hours bug free, and now this...

Edited by R0adki11
added spoiler tags

Dear moderator,

Instead of hiding/editing every post regarding bugs due to potential spoilers, how about edit the main topic thread title (WARNING SPOILERS), because no wonder nobody is giving any feedback nor helping with getting answers if you moderators keep editing and hiding all the posts, seriously. There's basically no other platform to discuss these bugs and the one there is you guys are editing and making the problems inadvertent not being noticed by others that could help. 

22 minutes ago, Varathius said:

Dear moderator,

Instead of hiding/editing every post regarding bugs due to potential spoilers, how about edit the main topic thread title (WARNING SPOILERS), because no wonder nobody is giving any feedback nor helping with getting answers if you moderators keep editing and hiding all the posts, seriously. There's basically no other platform to discuss these bugs and the one there is you guys are editing and making the problems inadvertent not being noticed by others that could help. 

I'm not trying to "back-seat moderate" here but...

If you read one post up from yours, you would know that you can simply put your post in spoiler tags. It is also in the forum rules. That way, everyone is happy. You can report bugs and people don't see spoilers (unless they choose to).

It is too much hassle for moderators to be editing every potential thread that contains spoilers. Some people just want to provide feedback and have a quick read/catchup.

People are providing feedback, go back a few pages and you'll see.

• Like 1