zozo

Arma 3 Apex: Old Man Feedback

(VIRUS UPLOAD MISSION)

ok I found earlier save point and if I go to fast travel or go to sleep and immediately after that mission spawns (keystone calls you) then the mission is bugged, but if you wait for him to call you when time is passing normally then the mission is alright.

but now I have a new problem when I receive a call that gendarmerie took a guy and killed him and I need to go to destroy the house, the mission is not registered, I have no task and don't see where is that house, and method above for a virus mission doesn't work 😞

Spoiler alert:

Spoiler

There is a unlocked ZSU-39 on the airfield, i rush to take it, the enemy jet spawns as usual but i cant lock missiles on it, i have the square on it but not the tilted square, which means active missile lock, it doesnt appear, and the cannon doesnt go into auto range mode even when i have it aquired as a target. Is it done on purpose or just a bug? And why would there be an uncrewed ZSU and with no crew around. I can understand uncrewed VTOLs in hangar, but uncrewed ZSU makes little sense.

Can somebody tell me how to get rid of that stupid annoying dot in the middle of the screen?
The crosshair in the game options is switched off, but this annoying dot is still there.

https://imgur.com/a/PzBTat6
yWrHJZd

On 4/22/2020 at 6:36 PM, kazer said:

Interesting, I just tried a few more times and got nothing. Can you share more about how you re-tried 3 times? Did you just a reload a save from near the drop point, or did you re-do the final mission?

Also, did you get a response right away after closing the crate or do you have to wait some time?

Thanks for sharing.

I think I must've restarted from scratch, when that one worked. When it works you get the "mission accomplished" pop-up right after you close the box.

OK,  more bugs for @zozo et al: I got Drugs for Drabek mission to lock up. (No spoiler since this isn't giving anything away.)

First, if I stay on the main island Get Doctor Medicine does not trigger no matter how long I wait (or at least until 8 am-ish, I restarted from a save after that). Looks it's scripted that way and that's probably wrong.

Now the bug: I give Drabek the drugs, task description update never pops up and his drug-o-meter stays at "2 to 5 hours". I even went away and came back after he called with "update: we need medicine", still no dice. 

This is on Apr 14 update, fresh start.

So i got into a Xian and flying around and the AG guided missile doesnt lock onto anything, even hot and moving targets like marids and cars.

Out of curiosity, did anyone ever figure out the virtual memory blocks / save issue?

I was about 10-15 hours into Old Man and had just saved my game before stepping away for the evening.  When I came back and attempted to resume, the game crashed and I received an error that said, 'Too many virtual memory blocks requested.'

I navigated to the save file in my C drive.  The file is 153MB in size. 

Is there a work-around for this?  Better yet, will this be patched in a future update?  I'm really enjoying Old Man but it takes the wind out of my sails to lose all of my progress like this.

22 hours ago, dmaziuk said:

OK,  more bugs for @zozo et al: I got Drugs for Drabek mission to lock up. (No spoiler since this isn't giving anything away.)

First, if I stay on the main island Get Doctor Medicine does not trigger no matter how long I wait (or at least until 8 am-ish, I restarted from a save after that). Looks it's scripted that way and that's probably wrong.

Now the bug: I give Drabek the drugs, task description update never pops up and his drug-o-meter stays at "2 to 5 hours". I even went away and came back after he called with "update: we need medicine", still no dice. 

This is on Apr 14 update, fresh start.

On 2nd thought I didn't uninstall the workshop version so maybe that's that. Guess I'll have to do another run from the start now...

Hello, my interaction with the characters in the Old Man mission has stopped working for me. I'm playing the full version of the script. I can't hand over the drugs to Dr. Drábek, nor can I hand over the plans stolen from the enemy base to Keystone. It does not offer me the possibility of a wheel and pressing the space bar at all 😞 Thank you for the advice.

Spoiler

Dobrý den, přestala mi fungovat interakce s postavami v misi Stařec (Old Man). Hraji plnou verzi scénáře. Nemohu předat léky doktoru Drábkovi a nemohu ani předat plány ukradené ze základny nepřátel Keystonovi. Vůbec mi to nenabízí možnost kolečka a stisku mezerníku 😞 Děkuji za radu. 

Edited by Dedmen
Translated to english. Keep in mind this forum is english only.

The secondary radar station has not appeared

How do i get to appear or what is it location? 

Maybe the save game issue discussed here is part of my issue but after a few hours of game play the mission seems to break around the car bomb mission. In one play through I was able to do the mission but the saves corrupted so I started new. The next time through I received the car bomb mission, went to start it but it would let me. Left the area to head to a safe house thinking a fast travel might kick something loose, only to discover I couldn’t fast travel. All NPCs in the mission were gone, known roadblocks were gone as well as any placed objects for the mission. Saved the game by “Exit and Save”, loaded back in without an issue but the mission was still in the same state. 

14 hours ago, marmchmmr said:

The secondary radar station has not appeared

How do i get to appear or what is it location? 

In the beta version, I flex a xian to do some rocket strafing, took out the main radar, had to circle around a while before things spawned. In the beta I had some problems of going somewhere to fast, and things not spawning until a while after I arrive.

On 4/24/2020 at 2:35 AM, Shift said:

Spoiler alert:

Hide contents

There is a unlocked ZSU-39 on the airfield, i rush to take it, the enemy jet spawns as usual but i cant lock missiles on it, i have the square on it but not the tilted square, which means active missile lock, it doesnt appear, and the cannon doesnt go into auto range mode even when i have it aquired as a target. Is it done on purpose or just a bug? And why would there be an uncrewed ZSU and with no crew around. I can understand uncrewed VTOLs in hangar, but uncrewed ZSU makes little sense.

Did you turn the radar on? I got locks and fired AA missiles just fine

On 4/25/2020 at 2:57 AM, Shift said:

So i got into a Xian and flying around and the AG guided missile doesnt lock onto anything, even hot and moving targets like marids and cars.

Haven't tried it yet, but I don't think there should be a problem. I'd guess its related to your problem with the tigris.

Anyway, restarted Old Man on Sunday with the update, no issues so far... but instead of going to sleep and meeting Miller in the morning, I went around getting caches since I already knew were several were, got NV goggles, neutralized the checkpoint north of home, shot down a Kajman with Viper team, and got viper gear from the ejected bodies...

Starting the first real missions with viper suit, helmet, special purpose rig (may take the NATO GL rig instead), and a suppressed CMR-76 (relatively abundant ammo and suppressed) with an ARCO for night, and an AMS for day (still need to pick up a TWS... which cache has one of those?

Should be fine.

Does anyone know if its possible to get a 5.8mm suppressor? I'd love to go around with a suppressed CAR-95-1 or CAR-95-GL, instead of the CMR.

On 4/25/2020 at 4:01 AM, Eric_the_Red said:

Out of curiosity, did anyone ever figure out the virtual memory blocks / save issue?

Yup.

On 4/25/2020 at 4:01 AM, Eric_the_Red said:

Better yet, will this be patched in a future update?

Yuuup.

Fix has been on RC branch since friday, it will fix the issue causing the crash. We will also try to (after the hotfix) update profiling branch fixing the crash itself, so you should then be able to load the broken savegame while on performance/profiling branch.

I shall try to remember to post here telling you when that time has come. But its still very much recommended to just restart from fresh after the hotfix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dedmen said:

Fix has been on RC branch since friday, it will fix the issue causing the crash.

Excellent. I hope the radio duplication bug is also going to be fixed (bonus points if we'll be able to turn it off altogether).

You just can't relax at home like this. 😣

11 hours ago, rübe said:

I hope the radio duplication bug is also going to be fixed

Haven't heard about that one yet 🤔

2 hours ago, Dedmen said:

Haven't heard about that one yet 🤔

I could have sworn I saw a ticket for this already. Am I imagining things now?

Anyways, it's basically like that one Spongebob episode:

2RiUHtc.jpg

This is from a game where free saving wasn't disabled. Might be related to that, but I don't really know, or how to reproduce it. Not really sure how it happens. The result are more and ever more radios at your home, and they all keep blasting the radio, which basically rapes the games audio mixer, which gets even more funny with the echoing and phasing and stuff going on while walking around/outside the house.

I think I've also seen at least one other save house with a radio that showed the same problem.

• Haha 3

The radio multiplication also happens at some market vendors (at least the one just east of Vagalala)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chris Young said:

The radio multiplication also happens at some market vendors (at least the one just east of Vagalala)

They're everywhere! 😮

Very early on in the game I had some kind of glitch/issue that caused the "phone" on the map to not work properly. Both the contacts and Intel buttons do nothing when clicked. Also, the second row has shifted very strangely. Call brings up the call log, call log brings up the contacts, and messenger brings up call. This means I have no way of accessing messenger or Intel, so I have no way of telling what keystone wants me to do. 

Spoiler

In the mission where Keystone tells you to eliminate radar for the Anti-Aircraft systems, he says he would give me options for taking it out. I have no clue what those options are because I can't access the messages or intel.

I started the campaign again. But the bug remained; During the mission where I should put flash drive into computer happens nothing. Dear developers, please fix this bug because I really can't pass the campaign till the end. I don't want to spend time playing this campaign in 3-rd time and collide with this bug again.

I just have got a new bug. Now I can't join server because of mistake linked with Oldman. Please, help me :(. I am tired of bugs

https://imgur.com/a/2Z3hgBZ

Has anyone successfully been able to 

Spoiler

deliver the counter-agent to the insurgents by placing it in the blue van?

I've attempted it three times and it still hasn't worked.

Here's another thing about "no bad things should ever happen if the player decides to do nothing". I wanted to see what happens when you just ignore Arthur, settle down first, maybe murder some CSAT and steal their stuff, I don't know. Then I skipped some time as I was tired. Skipped it to the max what's allowed. Then some jackass came and knocked at my door loudly, early in the morning. Rude. Hey, it's the doctor, who I didn't meet yet, because fuck Arthur, so I never went to his village, where also the doctor hangs around. Did I already mention that I don't like the doctor very much? As for Arthur, it probably wasn't that important after all. Dude just disappeared (and with him the task) and never called again. Good for him, I guess?

See, I think this is simply a design mistake for an open world approach. Let the player decide the pacing.

Here's what should have happened instead:

• Arthur is a cool dude. He doesn't mind if I come visit the next day to solve his problem. Or next week. Maybe next year. It's all good. It's also cool if he goes to sleep, so the player isn't able to visit him a first time at night. But the next day, he'll be around again. For whenever the player feels like to start off, or progress, the story.

• Similarly, the doctor doesn't just show up at my door. Rude. Make sure I talk to him at the end of the Arthur quest, and then, and only then proceed with infecting them all in their village. Then, once the player has done that, some next day the Doctor may, maybe, show up early in the morning over at yours. Still rude. But whatever. People are dying now.

And so on, same with other such story beats. The Syndikat stuff is similarly rude for no reason. If the Syndikat wants to do a night mission so badly, they can go collect those NVGs by themselves. Otherwise they have to wait for the player, and maybe postpone their little surprise party at night. The task should be open every day, and once you deliver them, the next task to take part in that operation should again be at the pace of the player. Tonight? Nah, I got already plans with the sexy ladies in Valalahalala. 😍 Maybe tomorrow? Cool.

I mean, sure, it's a bit cheating, because things tend to happen without you. Still, suspension of disbelief is never really broken, since things might as well *not* happen without you. In short: tasks should generally remain open, it doesn't hurt anything. One player will witness a faster virus outbreak, another one a much slower one. The story unfolds either way. Sure, there can be "chapters" that close/disable a set of tasks. But that's different, and usually happens at the player's decision and pace again.

Some more things:

• Meeting miller: And again, I expect better of Miller. Last time I played this, I was maybe a minute or two late, so he was all butthurt about it. So this time I went there early. No miller there. And then he simply spawns in your face. Not cool. Miller should spawn a bit away and walk up to you, so you can make a dumb remark about him being too late this time. 😙

• Finding intel/evidence at the abandoned CSAT camp: Miller is confusing if you find minor/not important evidence after you've already found the good stuff that leads you to the next location. He tells you to keep looking for more evidence/something better. He should just tell you that it's alright now and to move on already, or something.

• It's a bit unfortunate that the geo caches aren't randomized (at least partially). I understand that's a bit hard to do if you want to show off the cool locations (caves in particular), but maybe that could have been achieved in a different manner, using them for something else. Randomizing them hard would obviously offer way more replay value.

• Similarly it would be nice if almost everything else would be cleverly randomized too: distribute save houses randomly, but use some tricks (voronoi triangulation or what not) so they're nicely distributed anyways. Same for black markets, syndikat camps, minor missions such as houses to blow up, or things to steal from. Even road blocks: find a random road segment between two locations, even if it's always between the same locations, a slightly different position might make all the difference with respect to driving around them. Road blocks could even be moved after some time.
    Granted, it's really tricky to randomize nice set pieces that nicely integrate into the environment 100% of the time. So I perfectly understand why many of these things are rather not (intelligently) randomized. 🤤

• Also I still haven't figured out the rules of disguise, that is, when you wear the enemy's uniform and all perfectly. Shouldn't I be able to drive enemy cars like this (police car, IDAP, and CSAT respectively)? I think I'm not. Can I move around in restricted areas (guess there would be at least two layers required, with an outer layer that is fine if disguised and an inner layer/area where it's absolutely not either way because of stricter protocols, or something)? Not really? Does it simply raise some threshold/timers? What exactly is the idea here?
    I think some "plot beat(s)" would be really needed here, that a) make you have to use some disguise, and b) that also explains the rules to you. Have an early mission make you disguise as a worker (mines/harbor), or IDAP dude, another one disguised as police, pass a road block in disguise and with enemy vehicle, maybe this time you might have to first get the disguise someway or another too, and then also have one for the CSAT boys and infiltrate some CSAT base (is simple soldier uniform good enough, or do you need an officer uniform, or would that be even more dangerous, since people tend to know their officers?). Would changing cloths affect (i.e. lower) your wanted status? And from here on out, the player knows how he can use this to his advantage.

• Like 3

I'm aware that newly released games can be buggy but some of the questions here can be solved by being more investigative so to speak.

This is how I finished the virus upload:

Spoiler

I eliminated everyone in the CSAT base south of Miller's position. I went inside the tent behind the CSAT flagpole, uploaded the virus to the CPU on the right. Afterwards I went to the power supply on the left corner of the tent and restarted it. Miller called with incoming reinforcements so I waited outside, RPG at the ready. A chopper showed up, I shot it and obtained 5.8mm stealth suppressors from the passengers. The end.

Regarding Samjo's comrade, I'm guessing we have to find the body first somewhere where there are mangroves and search for clues there.