Rydygier

They are developing a mysterious game based on Lem's Sci-Fi

Which book - stays a secret, but one could guess, it may be "Invicible", which would be truly amazing. That one, or another, a game developed by such experienced people from Starward Industries, based on Lem's prose (top notch in the genre worldwide) sounds like a recipe for something very, very interesting, non-cliche and with strong emphasis on "Sci" part. IMO most noteworthy project.

https://www.gamepressure.com/editorials/new-sci-fi-game-based-on-lem-conversation-with-the-deveopers/za208

• Like 4

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/09/15/the-invincible-is-a-gorgeous-trek-through-a-polish-sci-fi-novel/

But IMO Hard SF style would serve better this story than Retro SF/"atompunk" stuff, which makes it less serious, than it was by intention. 

I would go rather in this direction:

invincible-lem-1.jpg invincible-lem-2.jpg

A nice gallery:

https://naekranie.pl/aktualnosci/niezwyciezony-stanislawa-lema-na-pieknych-grafikach-zobacz-galerie-1595515507

To be honest, it was over a decade when I read the book, but I think Andreyev's illustration don't really fit into Lem's world. Or at least what I imagined when reading the book. Andreyev's vision is... generic. Reminds me of Spad's DUNE mod for OFP, which IIRC was author's personal vision, not really related (aesthethically) to descriptions from Dune books.

IMO going with retro-futurism when depicting Lem's books is the way to go (I always imagined Lem's "technology" looking like from 1950s), but I don't think that Invincible game devs are doing it the good way. Their world is "candy sweet", almost parody, similiar to Fallout or No Man's Sky. While IMO it should be "1950s sci-fi taken seriously": messy, gritty, decrepit and weathered. It needs that "lived in" sci-fi look similiar to first Alien or Silent Running.

32 minutes ago, krzychuzokecia said:

I always imagined Lem's "technology" looking like from 1950s

That seems the key here - subjective imaginations. In my case it was close to Andreyev's vision (pure Hard SF style basically, as "realistic" as I was able to imagine), while I perceive depicting it in any kind of retrofuturistic style as turning something, that was 100% serious by intention into something deliberatelly less "scientific", more "humorus"/"absurdal", like Trurl stories vibe etc. Such approach doesn't fit the story/narrative timbre. Breaks decorum to me. 

2 hours ago, krzychuzokecia said:

Their world is "candy sweet", almost parody, similiar to Fallout or No Man's Sky. While IMO it should be "1950s sci-fi taken seriously": messy, gritty, decrepit and weathered.

Indeed, but as for me, "1950s sci-fi taken seriously" sounds like oxymoron frankly. Sure, it can be done in a way, you described, for me result would be surely most intriguing, because overall "not serious" form would contrast with "serious" details.