krzychuzokecia

[SP] FlashPoint Shooting Competition - timed firing drills

BmE1mWb.jpg

Hi all! I'm presenting you FlashPoint Shooting Competition (or FPSC for short) - a series (hopefully) of missions featuring timed shooting courses inspired by real life practical shooting sports such as IPSC, IDPA and various other 3- and 2-Gun events. FPSC is an idea I first realised in OFP, back in 2016, and when I finally started playing Arma 3, I was amazed by BIS own Firing Drills, and hoped to create my own soon. I had some limited success, but now, with Firing Drill module added with patch 2.02 the dream comes true!

Currently there are following FPSC drills released.

NATO Malden Challenge

A multi-gun event set in the abandoned military base on Malden. It tests both long-range precision shooting skills, and close combat efficiency.

Other

• CoF: Virtual Firing Drill - a quick and simple "demo" of what a person with very limited mission-making and scripting experience can do with Firing Drill module
  • NATO Malden Challenge - first version with my own scripts (see spoiler below)
Spoiler

After 2035 Altis incident NATO command came to conclusion that marksmanship skills among allied soldiers are dimnishing. To counter this, with help from civilian FPSC shooting association, NATO will organize a series of shooting competitions. One of them is Malden Challenge, set in abandoned military base in northern Malden.

NATO Malden Challenge is a 3-Gun even featuring precision rifle shooting on distances up to 300 meters, and a CQB course for pistols and carbines. Shooters will be equipped with their issued weaponry. During the event all competitors, staff and audience will have to adhere to safety regulations.

Features:

• simple cinematic briefing
  • 6 mid-to-long distance high value targets to be engaged with sniper rifle
  • 16 CQB rifle targets
  • 24 CQB pistol targets
  • all-seeing Range Officer
  • on screen timer!
  • lots of running, reloading and controlling breath

To do:

• saving player's time and displaying it in debriefing/overview BIS Firing Drills style
  • voice-over for Range Officer and briefing
  • loadout selection
  • procedural penalties for targets missed or shot with wrong weapon/out of order

Downloads:

Addons and DLCs required:

• Malden 2035 DLC

Comments, suggestions, ideas, help appreciated.

More to come! Sooner or later.

Edited by krzychuzokecia
Added [SP] tag in topic title
  • Like 2

Nice!! I found the BIS firing drills both invaluable and highly enjoyable, good to see someone making more of these. :thumb:

• Like 1

Thanks! I'm very glad you like it - from addonmaker with your accomplishments it's a high praise for me!

Obviously this mission is not as great as BIS drills are, but I hope it will create some interest in competetive shooting style of missions, and maybe someone with skills better than mine will be able to come up with more advanced/feature-rich solution. Workshop is full of interesting missions of all styles, but timed firing drills are surprisingly not present. I'm not sure why - when making this mission I was looking around the forums for answers to some scripting questions I had, and noticed that at least several people have tried to achieve the same goal. And they came up with scripts way above my comprehension. But I couldn't find any finished mission - guess they were not satisfied in final result?

My scripting is probably funny to experienced scripter, but you gotta start somewhere - and for me it's more important to have imperfect, but otherwise playable and fun mission, than spend years trying to achieve perfection. And helpful folk at the forums will gladly tell you where you can improve and where you messed up (wink, wink, nudge, nudge :wink:).

An update of sorts.

Ability to easily set up our own drills was something that many people wanted to see in A3 in the past. Sadly, firing drills don't seem to be that popular in 2021 - truth be told, I haven't found yet a timed shooting competition except for my own. I think there's a simple reason for that - as opposed to vehicle races, firing drill requires a lot of scripting, and often those scripts are not really applicable outside of one particular mission (mostly because of the drill flow). With no "simple" solution drill-style mission fell into obscurity.

But this may hopefully change: since A3 patch 2.02 we now have access to BI Firing Drill module and documentation! This allows really anyone to create custom Firing Drills in a matter of... hours (realistically speaking). To prove this I've decided to once again join the Arma firing drill pioneers, this time with possibly first ever community-made drill using BI FD module! The mission is very simple - features only one checkpoint with targets (including bonus), and only one gun is used. It is still a fun "high noon showdown" type of shooting challenge.

Download:

Going back to my original idea of "FPSC" - a more "realistic" type of drill - naturally the new FD module and documentation will also be useful. I still haven't figured some things out, for example changing weapons mid-course (it's done in BI Purple drills so it surely is possible), or having checkpoint with both pistol-only and rifle-only targets (seems like weapon limitation is applied to checkpoint, not to target, and I haven't had much luck with having two checkpoints in one place). But even with limitations, it's still way easier to make a playable mission than it was before.

• Thanks 1

EF409220EB192CA41CD8AE4D32D31D54BE4477A0

FPSC: NATO Malden Challenge - Stage 1

Set in the eerie remnants of military base on Malden, NATO Malden Challenge seeks to improve the marksmanship skills of the soldiers, by giving them the chance to compare their efficiency, share knowledge, and compete for the title of NATO best marksman! Prepared with the help of civilian FlashPoint Shooting Competition association, NATO Malden Challenge consists of several stages, which are focused on both long-range precision shooting and close-quarters action!

Stage 1 features shooting from elevated position on the ranges up to 300 meters with sniper rifle, and mid-to-short range shooting with both carbine and pistol. Shooters will be equipped with their issued weaponry, and safety regulations will be strictly adhered to!

Mission utilizes BI Firing Drill module introduced in patch 2.02.

Medal times:

1. Gold - 1:25
  2. Silver - 1:30
  3. Bronze - 1:40

Note that gold medal requires a substantial effort, including hitting all bonus targets!

Download:

More drills coming soon(er or later)!