Mr H.

playsound3D not working when called on server, MP,Dedi

Hi! According to the wiki playSound3D is AG EG but when called on a dedicated server in MP it doesn't work (anymore?) while when called on a client it works fine. I'm wondering if it's intended behavior (I doubt it) or if there's something wrong on my end. If someone here could try it (remember in MP on a dedi server, hosting won't do for this test) or shed some light on the issue before I report it as a bug.

For the record the sound is stored in an addon, not in the mission itself.

This command needs an absolute path, sometimes tricky to obtain everywhere. Did you try the new command getMissionPath ?

(not sure that help for an addon! but that could be useful for mission's sound folder for other readers).

Are you sure your addon is same version for client and server, so the sound file exists on server?

Note: So far, I uses say3D (even for object's sound), relative path. It's EL so you need to remoteExec on clients (filtered by distance to reduce the).

1 hour ago, pierremgi said:

This command needs an absolute path, sometimes tricky to obtain everywhere. Did you try the new command getMissionPath ?

As you said it's in an addon, I don't think I need to get the mission path.

Are you sure your addon is same version for client and server, so the sound file exists on server?

Yes and yes. Also when I call it on a client it works fine which -I assume - means that my path is correct.

Note: So far, I uses say3D (even for object's sound), relative path. It's EL so you need to remoteExec on clients (filtered by distance to reduce the).

I used say3D and remote exec before but I'd rather use playsound3D.

As I typed I just realized that when I was testing I did something really stupid, might be the fault lies on me I'll check before making any more stupid comments.

Yup I was  stupid, issue was somewhere between the chair and the keyboard

Edit with further tests:

playsound3d ["MRHRadioChatter\Sounds\US\MRH_US_Chatter1.ogg",soundSource,false,getPosASL soundSource,100,1,20]

works fine when called from a client, not when called on the server.

while

playsound3d ["MRHRadioChatter\Sounds\US\MRH_US_Chatter1.ogg",soundSource]

works fine called either way.
So I assume the issue is calling it with extra params on a server

Since A3 v1.91.145537 the maximum volume allowed is 5. Exceeding this will result in sound not being played when executed remotely.

Shouldn't this be considered as a bug though ?

I had missed that in the spotrep

The better way would have been to clip it at 5, but I guess this is how it was implemented, it just rejects it all together

1 minute ago, killzone_kid said:

The better way would have been to clip it at 5, but I guess this is how it was implemented, it just rejects it all together

Thanks, it was driving me crazy!
Btw what's that value expressed in ? Decibels ? Arbitrary range ? Some sounds below 5 are very low, guess I'll have to play with the volume of the original .ogg files.