Werthles

Multiplayer Save and Load v2.1 - by Wert

Multiplayer Save and Load

Saves a multiplayer mission in progress to be reloaded later.

Downloads:

Armaholic

Steam

Reloads units, gear, vehicles, weather/mission details, waypoints, tasks, buildings, markers, triggers, missionNamespace*, locations, etc...

263CEB3ACA1FD25E317E9841F347690273AA773995A94188AE38181F9C902C80C3CBC5659D5FE8E3B11C5DB0ADD77EBECEE53BCF3415F65F97899657

Mod designed for use to save the progress in player-made multiplayer missions.

For best results when loading, start the original mission, then load your progress with the UI.

Saved mission files are stored in the mod folder, so take care.

I believe this is about as good as I can code a save/load mod in SQF. But if you can do better, please feel free to make coding suggestions here!

Uses inidbi2 from code34.

v2.1
Features
- "Fast Save/Load" added. Approx. 30s-3min save duration. Save/Load uses all server processing power until the save/load is complete. (Game will appear frozen!)

Fixes
- Vehicle fuel is saved/loaded.

V2.0
Features
- Added Simple/Full Save/Load toggle, for much faster save option, but with fewer details recorded.
- Faster load/save syntax.
- Compatible with existing save files.
- Saves "Things" (including ammo boxes and decorations).

Fixes
- General coding improvements
- "Dead" vehicles do not respawn on load.
- Hidden Map Objects
- Global Triggers

v1.1

Locations and MissionNamespace now saved.
Note: missionNamespace items of type "CODE" are not saved, as this would decrease performance or break the process. MissionNamespace items are also not removed, so CODE items can be maintained by loading the original mission before loading your saved game.

Known Issues:

- Scripts running at the time of save cannot be re-initiated after. Also, full script environment cannot be re-initialised without starting the scripts at the beginning, which is likely to cause more trouble than it is worth. So I recommend loading mission progress whilst in the original mission.

- Unit side anomalies reported.
- Unit names not syncing globally. Will likely cause issue if scripts require a unit to have a specific name on clients.

- Zeus will detach from some players in some instances. Use #adminLogged in Zeus Game Master modules, then re-login as an admin.

- Use this code if the action is removed by your gamemode:

player addAction ["<t color='#FF5500'>Multiplayer Save and Load</t>",{createdialog "MSLDialog";},[],-999,false,true,"","isServer or serverCommandAvailable ""#kick"""];
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Congrats on your release @Werthles!

Quick question, can we save mission/object variables with this tool?

IE:

missionNamespace setVariable [(str _killed)+"deathDate", date];

So when I load back the mission how the variable was at the time of the save must also be loaded....

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LSValmont said:

Congrats on your release @Werthles!

Quick question, can we save mission/object variables with this tool?

IE:

missionNamespace setVariable [(str _killed)+"deathDate", date];

So when I load back the mission how the variable was at the time of the save must also be loaded....

Thanks for this. I have updated the mod to read items in the missionNamespace as well. Variables set on objects were already stored, missionNamespace was not. I have added a 'disclaimer' above though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Werthles said:

Thanks for this. I have updated the mod to read items in the missionNamespace as well. Variables set on objects were already stored, missionNamespace was not. I have added a 'disclaimer' above though.

Thank you @Werthles!

I will always wonder why didn't BI ever add this kind of Multiplayer save game option/functionality to their own game, specially considering Arma 3's MP component is bigger than SP.

Well luckily we have talented people like you to fill in the gaps...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CW4 Carrera said:

Does all clients need this or just the server and the person doing the saving?

This mod should work with just the server and admin running the mod. JIP after loading a mission may not work. Let me know if you run into any issues please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh my god, I've been looking for something like this for years. I wonder if I can get it working with a warfare mission like PromanA3. Thanks heaps!

• Thanks 1

Version 2 is available with a number of quality of life improvements. Available now on Steam. Armaholic should update shortly.

V2.0
Features
- Added Simple/Full Save/Load toggle, for much faster save option, but with fewer details recorded.
- Faster load/save syntax.
- Compatible with existing save files.
- Saves "Things" (including ammo boxes and decorations).

Fixes
- General coding improvements
- "Dead" vehicles do not respawn on load.
- Hidden Map Objects
- Global Triggers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Saves can be named? BI please...

Anyway, good job buddy. Thanks for the update!

• Thanks 1

Quick questions:

1) When loading a previous save, as the host, should I wait for all the players that were in the previous session or can I load before they join and everything will still work?

2) Does this work with eden placed vehicles? Like when loading a mission for the second time and vehicle car_1 is respawn at the start position but on your saved file car_1 is already in another location and with half fuel... the script will just move car_1 into its saved position and setFuel or will it delete car_1 placed by EDEN and create a new car_1 on the saved location? (I am trying to understand how the script deals with vehicles not spawned via scripts).

Thank you! 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 5:49 PM, Janez said:

Saves can be named? BI please...

Anyway, good job buddy. Thanks for the update!

I think the main idea is that you should be able to use this to save a big mission progress on dedicated servers! (mods permitting)

On 5/8/2020 at 11:07 PM, LSValmont said:

Quick questions:

1) When loading a previous save, as the host, should I wait for all the players that were in the previous session or can I load before they join and everything will still work?

2) Does this work with eden placed vehicles? Like when loading a mission for the second time and vehicle car_1 is respawn at the start position but on your saved file car_1 is already in another location and with half fuel... the script will just move car_1 into its saved position and setFuel or will it delete car_1 placed by EDEN and create a new car_1 on the saved location? (I am trying to understand how the script deals with vehicles not spawned via scripts).

Thank you! 

1) I think this will work better if they have joined first, but should work either way. (Please let me know if not)

2) It is designed to remove all vehicles from the MIP then create everything that is kept in the save file.

Hope this help.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Werthles said:

I think the main idea is that you should be able to use this to save a big mission progress on dedicated servers! (mods permitting)

1) I think this will work better if they have joined first, but should work either way. (Please let me know if not)

2) It is designed to remove all vehicles from the MIP then create everything that is kept in the save file.

Hope this help.

It did! Thank you!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Werthles said:

Of course and thanks for that, Xeno is using something similar for his Domination mission through MariaDB, it's just I'm asking for improvements to vanilla save game system for probably a decade by now. You know, unlimited save slots (expanding to 7 was a good step-up), ability to name, overwrite and delete them, possibly with a thumbnail and not crashing for huge missions. Although that might have been mitigated with Old Man update. We'll see.

So, I suppose I got reminded of that when I saw "Saves can be named" in that screenshot and opted for a slight jab at BI. 🙂

Regardless, this is really good stuff you did and BI should, along with plenty of other work in editing section, look into implementing it in the game.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 5:51 AM, Janez said:

Of course and thanks for that, Xeno is using something similar for his Domination mission through MariaDB, it's just I'm asking for improvements to vanilla save game system for probably a decade by now. You know, unlimited save slots (expanding to 7 was a good step-up), ability to name, overwrite and delete them, possibly with a thumbnail and not crashing for huge missions. Although that might have been mitigated with Old Man update. We'll see.

So, I suppose I got reminded of that when I saw "Saves can be named" in that screenshot and opted for a slight jab at BI. 🙂

Regardless, this is really good stuff you did and BI should, along with plenty of other work in editing section, look into implementing it in the game.

Ah OK, interesting, thanks! I'm not sure it's up to par to go into the game as standard yet though 🙂

(But maybe BI will steal this from me like they stole my Hired Guns 2 and called it Old Man xD )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2020 at 7:27 PM, Werthles said:

Ah OK, interesting, thanks! I'm not sure it's up to par to go into the game as standard yet though 🙂

(But maybe BI will steal this from me like they stole my Hired Guns 2 and called it Old Man xD )

Dear @Werthles

Since this is mostly written in SQF, do you think it is possible to have a script version rather than a mod version?

Like having the save files be saved inside the mission folder instead of the mod folder etc?

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, LSValmont said:

Dear @Werthles

Since this is mostly written in SQF, do you think it is possible to have a script version rather than a mod version?

Like having the save files be saved inside the mission folder instead of the mod folder etc?

I am not able to make a script version of this as I am not able to convert the iniDBi2 component of this to a script version. I do not think it can be as it includes .dll files.

• Thanks 1

v2.1
Features
- "Fast Save/Load" added. Approx. 30s-3min save duration. Save/Load uses all server processing power until the save/load is complete. (Game will appear frozen!)

Fixes
- Vehicle fuel is saved/loaded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1