thirith

Making a vehicular patrol mission: looking for tips

I've been looking for a fun vehicular patrol mission for up to ten players but haven't been able to find any that is close enough to what I'm looking for. To be more precise, I'm thinking about something along the following lines:

• Two teams of four, one vehicle for each team (e.g. Humvees with machine guns)
  • A team of two and an AH-6X for Close Air Support
  • The mission should take the units from their camp to various villages and/or compounds, clear them out, and then back to camp or to another camp

My questions are as follows:

• What's a good mission framework for such a mission? (Ideally it should be able handle JIP, tasks and some dynamic spawning, see the next question.)
  • What are good ways, both technically and in terms of design, to make this replayable? I know well enough how to place enemy units and fire teams, but ideally there should be a dynamic element, e.g. a village may or may not have hostiles in it, there might be ambushes along the way.
  • Any balancing tips? Does it make sense for the enemy to mainly consist of rifle and RPG units? How do I make sure that the helicopter is useful but not overpowered?
  • Any additional tips, ideas, words of warning?

25 minutes ago, baton1990 said:

You can try Drongo's Area of Operations mod

:yeahthat:I've been using that extensively lately, and it allows you to really randomize tasks and increase replayability. Not to mention the complete freedom to tailor the opfor type and assets to your mission. For your kind of tasks, however, be sure to dig into the "mission type" parameter to cut out unwanted tasks.  

Is the mod something you use on the fly or do you prepare the missions? Is the mod needed on the server and client computers, or is it just needed to create the mission?

No you dont use it on the fly. You set up it's modules in editor and then play saved mission. Both server and client need to have this mod. 

Thanks. I will definitely check it out, but are there also options that I can more easily turn into missions that don't require additional server- or client-side mods?