I made a post about the benefits of delaying the release of Arma 4 but forgot to mention the biggest benefit: getting to enjoy Halek's amazing mods a lot longer!

• Like 2

On 6/6/2021 at 7:09 PM, haleks said:

I did consider adding a "rival team" to the showcase, but I think I'm going to keep the mega corps notion for future scenarios set on larger terrains.

That could make a great use out of Astra corp from Contact, but I think all the Astra assets are still in Contact-Contact ("the total replacement mod"), not Contact-Enoch ("the always loaded" part).

Not to mention, it'd add DLC requirement. But yeah, one can dream! :D

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RZNUNKWN said:

I was wondering, is there a way to attach OdraCam from the debug console/Zeus somehow to the player.
I tried adding multiple classnames to the OdraCam module but no luck, nor adding multiple modules with one classname of each headgear didn't show results.

Also, is TimeFall for now just cosmetic? I love the grass and flowers rising to life and departing it in seconds.... something to ponder on as you sit under the shelter, waiting for TimeFall to end.

The odracam won't work with more than one classname right now - somehow that totally skipped my mind when writing the code... I'll need to fix that.

Timefall is just for the looks at the moment; but the module will be updated with more parameters eventually. I've been tinkering with a few ideas for small effects to apply to players.

Speaking of updating stuff, "Aradus" is growing fast! And, oddly enough, development has been quite smooth so far. And fun.

I'm super happy with the atmosphere oozing from the beast... bave.png

I've spent the last few days polishing all the "environmental" scripts : it's starting to feel like a legit, 100% dynamic recreation of Death Stranding. bave.png²

More news coming soon!

• Like 3

Like, spending too much time out in the Timefall causes you to move slower and slower, while vision gets blurry more and more, maybe sound somehow gets drowned more and more, all of this to simulate the aging effect of Timefall 

Until you die of old age. 

That's so depressive wow. 

The new AI population system is starting to take shape...

Scavs 2.0

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

Sneak peeks :

Spoiler

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Oh the fun we'll have!

Oh the fun we had!

• Like 7

@ Haleks - it is like a completely new game! Please work on an MP survival game mode in this universe!

Edit... I just had a crazy idea so just give me a laugh fellas but I had both a web browser looking at Halek's pictures and the new CSLA cDLC reviews within the Steam Client Side by Side (poor CSLA... I might get it for the map based on the review)...

What if Halek and the community, expands this mission/mod into MP and offers map compatibility for the DLC/cDLC and User made maps, but we allow a twist:

Remnant Scavenger units find an anomaly that enables time travel in Future Altis/Stratis, and they must seek out resources from the DLC/cDLC/User maps within those "time periods" to complete their overall mission ala "Time Bandits" movie:

DLC/cDLC/User maps 1 - mission 1

DLC/cDLC/User maps 2 - mission 2

DLC/cDLC/User maps 3 - mission 3

This would span against multiple DLC/cDLC/User maps, tho the main mission should be finishable if an ARMA owner does not own all the DLC/cDLC, so like a user map can be an alternative to official content mission.

Should be an MP game so after the mission completes, the group of Time Travelers have their gear saved (inidb mod?) then proceed to the next map/mission. The Remnant  Scavenger group must be balanced against becoming OP vs old tech. Ideally, it would be like Ravage for balance. Limited use due to lack of support in past time continuum. 

Sorry, just thinking out loud but it would be an interesting way to tie all the ARMA 3 content together and lead into ARMA - Future Cold War 4.0! 😄

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Valken said:

Edit... I just had a crazy idea so just give me a laugh fellas but I had both a web browser looking at Halek's pictures and the new CSLA cDLC reviews within the Steam Client Side by Side (poor CSLA... I might get it for the map based on the review)...

What if Halek and the community, expands this mission/mod into MP and offers map compatibility for the DLC/cDLC and User made maps, but we allow a twist:

Remnant Scavenger units find an anomaly that enables time travel in Future Altis/Stratis, and they must seek out resources from the DLC/cDLC/User maps within those "time periods" to complete their overall mission ala "Time Bandits" movie:

DLC/cDLC/User maps 1 - mission 1

DLC/cDLC/User maps 2 - mission 2

DLC/cDLC/User maps 3 - mission 3

This would span against multiple DLC/cDLC/User maps, tho the main mission should be finishable if an ARMA owner does not own all the DLC/cDLC, so like a user map can be an alternative to official content mission.

Man, with content spanning multiple centuries thanks to the modding scene, Arma sure has room for time travel ! ^^

The custom save system could be put to good use in that regard, if we need persistency across missions & terrains without doing a campaign...

I wonder how a gunboat would fare against a frigate from Nassau. cafe2.gif

• Like 2

All right, the changelog for Aradus is growing fast, so I'm pushing a small update before the big update :

v0.2.3
New :
Crickets have gone extinct! \o/
New Vrana Kitbag

The Crickets Extinction Event is a config tweak to the base terrain cfg : any terrain that inherits the default envSounds is crickets free!

That's probably the best changelog I wrote in my life! mellow2.gif

Remnant 0.2.3

0437E3F54CD5703591BFABCB7583E52C0B163379

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

There are things out there, much worse than MULEs...

QhUmhwk.jpg

• Like 4

(random dev diary!)

Oh boy, I recently discovered that Arma 3 supports HashMaps - I've been playing with it since yesterday (if you're not familiar with the concept, make yourself some coffee and go read this)... I took a couple hours today to adapt the aradus save system to work with hashmaps rather than arrays, just to experiment, since I'm new to this. Wasn't sure at first about the benefits, but damn it turns out to be a great tool! Compared to arrays, it is so much easier to push any set of data to the custom save system - there's no need to worry about indexing anymore (or overwriting stuff by mistake), which means we can split the data as much as we need without going nuts later on when we need to retrieve it...

It also means one can easily add his own set of data to the save system, thanks to Hashmapception! \o/

Data will be stored as hashmaps (let's call them virtual save files), all stored in a "master" hashmap (the so-called virtual save folder). Going from there, it should be relatively trivial for mission makers to push & update their own data to the global save system, and retrieve the stuff after server reboot - it could be anything : tasks, custom stats, weapon caches created by players etc... Multiple data sets can be added simultaneously without risks of overwriting, or any issue that usually arises with data iteration.

There's still the problem of having to write custom scripts to process the custom data sets (there's no way to "guess" what to do with it), but since mission makers only need a key to get the data back, that still is a big step up from the system currently used in Ravage. Let's say you have a custom money system in your MP mission and need to keep track of how much money each player has; with a just a few lines you can plug that to the save file attached to each player - it could be something like this:

//store the data
_masterfolder = profileNameSpace getVariable "all_saveFiles";//hashmap containing all virtual save files as hashmaps, stored in a profile variable
_currentsave = missionName + worldName + "some_key";//name of virtual save file unique to mission/server
(_masterfolder get _currentsave) set ["my_custom_key", ["any", "kind", "of", "data"]];

//retrieve the data
_my_custom_data = (_masterfolder get _currentsave) get "my_custom_key";
Spoiler

I think the "array" version would look like this tired.png

//store the data
_masterfolder = profileNameSpace getVariable "all_saveFiles";
_currentsave = _masterfolder select (_masterfolder findif {(_x#0) isequalto (missionName + worldName + "some_key")});
_currentsave set [
	[count _currentsave, _currentsave findif {(_x#0) isequalto "my_custom_key"}] select (_currentsave findif {(_x#0) isequalto "my_custom_key"} isnotequalto -1),//kill me!
	["my_custom_key", ["any", "kind", "of", "data"]]
];

//retrieve the data
_my_custom_data = ((_masterfolder select (_masterfolder findif {(_x#0) isequalto (missionName + worldName + "some_key")})) select {(_x#0) isequalto "my_custom_key"}) # 1;

Or I could set up dedicated parameters for that in a module, I don't know... But in any case it has great applications for both Remnant and Ravage!

Again, hashmaps are new to me, so I'm probably discovering the wheel after everyone else, but still, I think it's cool! ninja.png

• Like 6

I've been testing the performances of total apocalypse...

Spoiler

Before/After

With thousands of objects spawning around, I think it's not bad at all - in fact it feels a lot smoother on my old PC once the scripts have done their thing on the terrain. Those "destroyed terrain objects" are actually replaced by super simple objects - it does give a sensible FPS boost.

"Road clutter" includes wrecks and grass, and is dynamically created and removed as the player moves around. The entire road network is scanned at mission start and all the data for the procedural generation system is created then. Same deal for the vegetation modifications : every single tree is hidden at mission start, and the data to replace them by rocks is generated at the same time. All that stuff is persistent after mission restart as long as the master seed remains the same, and the system will scale with view distance.

There's one small downside : it does increase the initial loading time a lot. Basically every position, orientation, model etc for all the objects to be dynamically created later on is calculated once and for all - all we need after that is to fetch a variable attached to each road or object to replace, and we have everything we need to spawn stuff. This makes a huge difference performance-wise, so I reckon one longer than usual loading time won't be a big deal. 😉 

One cool feature is that nothing is actually destroyed; in theory it's possible to revert all the changes at any time to travel back in time, so to speak. \o/

• Like 7

I think slightly longer loading times are OK if you can provide a notice about it, especially in MP.

Players wonder if the server or their systems have crashed when it just sits there with no update. You can have plain text, a dynamic bar or a simple number counter for player view and statistical purposes.

Keep up the fantastic optimization work!

• Like 1

Spotted and fixed a few more issues while working on the Aradus project!

v0.2.4
Fixes :
_offset error in pht init
Phantoms initialize a bit faster
Optimisations to phantom AI
Optimisations to phantom killed sequence
Fixed a script error in a damage EH

Remnant 0.2.4

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone!

I've been hard at work this week, and made good progress on the saving issues...

After a few experimentations, I ended up writing an alternative version of the custom save system for SP exclusively : the previous version is pretty much perfect for MP use and I'll keep working on it for both Remnant & Ravage, but it does have limits for SP, and those are difficult to solve... So rather than reinventing the wheel, I thought I would put all the work on procedural systems to good use : since we only need one seed to reproduce any configuration of terrain edits & objects creation, there's no need to try and save all that data. So i reorganised the code with a "self-cleaning" approach, and my lord is it beautiful! If there is such a thing as beautiful code. ninja.png

The new version keeps track of everything generated by the procedural systems : variables, created objects, hidden or modified objects, scripts etc... The vanilla "save" & "exit" buttons are modified to call a custom function before saving : everything spawned by Aradus is destroyed, all scripts are terminated, variables are cleaned up and the terrain reverts back to default - saving only takes a few seconds, the changes are invisible to the player, and we can resume where we left off, even if it's in the middle of a fight! \o/ The procedural systems will kick back in once a saved game is loaded, and repopulate/change the map with exactly the same configuration. It is a rather extreme change for a very specific problem (spawn a shit tone of useless stuff! troppuissant.png ) but I reckon it's gonna be worth it : the post "Death Stranding" Altis is absolutely stunning! Seeing a lone eagle flying above that quiet desolation (thanks to EO's Ambient Birds) captivates the mind...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys!

Here comes a small update, with a new feature I've been working on :

v0.2.5
New :
Added new footprints VFX to phantoms

Fixes :
Locality failsafe for phantoms init
Small optimisation to phantom AI

Phantoms finally have proper footprints! \o/

It sounds like a purely cosmetic addition, but it does change things a lot if you're playing with 100% invisible phantoms : it helps keeping track of them if there're more than one of them things wandering around you... And yeah, it does look cool too!

Nothing to configure - the new footprints are auto-generated along with the "splash" VFX and will smoothly disappear after some time.

Have fun people, and expect more goodies soon!

Download : Remnant v0.2.5

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Hey, guys,

On "Do Not Linger" mission is it normal for the Phantoms to linger like up to ~15 minutes, maybe more, around the player?

I'm using LAMBS fyi.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, RCA3 said:

Hey, guys,

On "Do Not Linger" mission is it normal for the Phantoms to linger like up to ~15 minutes, maybe more, around the player?

I'm using LAMBS fyi.

Thanks.

In theory it's a possibility, but you would have to be extremely unlucky - if it happened multiple times I'd say there's definitely something wrong.

I'll make a few changes with the next update to cap the maximum amount of time phantoms can linger, but there's a possibility LAMBS causes some kinda conflict...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's like when I reach an area of phantoms, they camp around in the same area, 1 hour of game time and 5 minutes real time, and they're still pretty much where they spawned.

This time without LAMBS.

IDK if there's a strategy I'm not doing, but I stop, hide from potential scavengers and wait for the phantoms to move so I can carry on, but they just hang around 🙁.

Thanks.

Is the "Loiter" option enabled in the spawner module?

It's on "Do Not Linger" mission. Not edited.