A stunning showcase mate, I couldn't believe my eyes the first Timefall, how you managed to work that magic on plant clutter is quite baffling but truly amazing!

My first trip through Larche reminded me of that image from Hiroshima where the only building that survived the blast was the Genbaku Dome, the only structure left standing in Larche was the church tower, quite spooky.

Haven't quite made it to the Radio Tower yet, but I'm getting there....

• Like 1

I haven't made it even to Larche :D Got captured by a flock of seag... Phantoms west of Arudy, probably only a 1-1.5 kilometer away from starting point. After taking care of me, Phantoms then began feasting on nearby scavs. A bit technical question: is there any way to wound/deter the Phantoms? Throwing chemlights in my case seemed more like invitation to have poor me killed!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, krzychuzokecia said:

A bit technical question: is there any way to wound/deter the Phantoms? Throwing chemlights in my case seemed more like invitation to have poor me killed!

Phantoms have a short phase during which they investigate a suspected target : even if they aren't in an "aggro" state yet, they have a strong suspicion and won't be easily distracted during that time. Throwing stuff will only work if they are completely unaware of any target, so the trick is to wait a bit and let them forget you before trying to lure them away. That's a 50-50 decision to make though - you can stay still and hope the Phantom is just looking around, but you're also wide open if you've been actually spotted and locked on already...

• Like 2

Fu..ing hell  the new showcase is awesome !! The map looks amazing, perfectly showing civilisation has been gone for good. Watching or just hearing the scavs and phantoms fighting all around me was absolutely scary.  Not speaking of being hunted by them. I of course did not make it before darkness and I of course ran out of chemlights XD. I had to crawl the last 1500 meters navigating only by map and the odra cam. 

Seeing all the Vrana stuff...I think this idea should/could be extended. Having different mega corps as the remnant of human civilisation could provide  some nice faction gameplay..Vrana, ION, Vantland Industries etc...

cheers

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Private Evans said:

Seeing all the Vrana stuff...I think this idea should/could be extended. Having different mega corps as the remnant of human civilisation could provide  some nice faction gameplay..Vrana, ION, Vantland Industries etc...

I did consider adding a "rival team" to the showcase, but I think I'm going to keep the mega corps notion for future scenarios set on larger terrains. 😉 

I'm working on a small update by the way... Some fixes and tweaks for the Odracam, plus a new module to set up custom backpacks like it's done in the showcase.

1A4592F7252741D47BE64FBC16D4C5F29C626909

Just need to finish a few presets, and the update'll be good to go...

• Like 5

Genius use of objects. ^^  Lots of functionality with those rugged lamps too.

Maybe the only drawback from the Odracam in the showcase was the position, given the cargo being carried, it sometimes became a little obscured by the pandas head. 🐼

• Like 2

5 hours ago, haleks said:

I did consider adding a "rival team" to the showcase, but I think I'm going to keep the mega corps notion for future scenarios set on larger terrains. 😉 

I'm working on a small update by the way... Some fixes and tweaks for the Odracam, plus a new module to set up custom backpacks like it's done in the showcase.

1A4592F7252741D47BE64FBC16D4C5F29C626909

Just need to finish a few presets, and the update'll be good to go...

Totally into this! Could we get a Green version? For Military use?

6 hours ago, Sierra-G339 'Digger' said:

There are already Black, Olive and Sand variants of that combination. :icon_biggrin: 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 1:06 AM, Sierra-G339 'Digger' said:

I could duplicate all presets for each colour variant, but that could clutter the module's list a bit... In any case, I will post the configuration data sets for each preset : players can then edit them and feed them back to the module as a custom config. 😉 

By the way, if you want to experiment and share your own composition before the update, it's actually pretty easy to make a custom backpack. Here's an excerpt from the showcase for the "PANDA" configuration :

c1 = createSimpleObject ["Land_BatteryPack_01_closed_sand_F", [0,0,0], true]; 
c1 attachTo [player, [0,-0.3,0.06], "spine3", true];

c2 = createSimpleObject ["Land_MultiScreenComputer_01_closed_sand_F", [0,0,0], true]; 
c2 attachTo [player, [0,-0.25,-0.05], "spine3", true];

c3 = createSimpleObject ["Land_Sleeping_bag_blue_folded_F", [0,0,0], true]; 
c3 attachTo [player, [0,-0.25,-0.41], "spine3", true];
c3 setVectorUp [0,-0.99,0.01];

(backpackContainer player) setObjectTexture [0,""];

Some useful commands to further tweak attached objects  : setDir, setObjectScale.

The module currently accepts the following format:

[[STRING/classname, ARRAY/offset(optional), NUMBER/relative direction(optional), ARRAY/vectorUp(optional), BOOL/create as simpleObject(optional)],[...]]

I might add an optional scale argument too.

Right now the module is almost finished - I'm toying around with one last idea before release : adding sounds generated by the cargo as the player moves around. Finding suitable sounds in the game is proving to be difficult though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haleks said:

Right now the module is almost finished - I'm toying around with one last idea before release : adding sounds generated by the cargo as the player moves around. Finding suitable sounds in the game is proving to be difficult though...

Scratch that, I think I just found the perfect soundset! \o/

It's pretty cool, the sounds pitch & volume scale to the player's speed - the effect is very convincing...

On top of the cake : it should be relatively easy to adapt the script for an immersion mod. We could have dynamic sounds playing depending on how many items a unit is carrying in its backpack : one could hear how much load people are carrying around! cigare.gif

• Like 2

We know were onto a good thing when the smokin' bunny comes out. 

• Haha 1

I played the scenario yesterday, and oh my Lord I was so blown away, it's so unique.

• Like 2

Update! Yippee!

v0.2.2

New :
New scripted backpack module with 5 presets*
New parameters to the Timefall module
Added Rain Splash option to the Timefall module**
Updated the latest showcase with the new module options

Fixes :
Tweaked the OdraCam sounds
The OdraCam is now disabled in vehicles
Fixed OdraCam issues when switching headgears
Tweaked VFX in "do not linger"

*NOTA BENE : possible Arma bug : attached objects seem to be affected by terrain grid/cell size (large values causing jerky movements)
**ALIAScartoons credited in the Timefall module description for his rain splash VFX script

The Odracam sounds needed more work; those beeps were getting old fast... Hopefully the new beeps sound better, they also have better pitch modulation, and do a better job at indicating how close you are to a phantom.

Also, the special cargo backpack feature from the demo is now a proper module, with added functionalities : at the moment there are 5 presets to choose from, and there's a parameter for custom configurations (the module description gives the jest of it, I'll post more details soon on that).

Special backpacks make noises too! \o/

It's rather discreet in 3rd person view, and remains quiet enough in 1st person view that you'll hardly hear it if it's raining hard - unless you're sprinting at full speed.

The demo has been updated with the new features along with various fixes and tweaks.

Kudos to @aliascartoons for his incredible scripts and contributions!

Remnant 0.2.2

0437E3F54CD5703591BFABCB7583E52C0B163379

• Like 6

So I finally tried those showcases, and all I can say is... "I hate This!!!" But in a good way! 🤣 I was terrified but couldn't stop smiling!!! They're just so creepy! I didn't finished them though... Just guess as to why!! 😁😂😅

Question One: Will the new Odracam pack replace the Mine detector system in place now, and will that mean updating the current missions available?

Question Two: Can you make a tutorial on how to set up Odracams in CO-OP/Multiplayer scenarios?

Question Three: As someone who hasn't played Death Stranding, What are Timefalls and how can I use them?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sierra-G339 'Digger' said:

Question One: Will the new Odracam pack replace the Mine detector system in place now, and will that mean updating the current missions available?

Question Two: Can you make a tutorial on how to set up Odracams in CO-OP/Multiplayer scenarios?

Question Three: As someone who hasn't played Death Stranding, What are Timefalls and how can I use them?

- The Odracam isn't meant to replace the mine detector system - mission makers can choose whatever they prefer, or both, even if that's a bit redundant.

- Well the Odracam hasn't been tested in MP, but in theory, players who equip the headgear defined in the module will have an Odracam attached to it.

- In DS, Timefall is sort of a rain "from beyond" with bizarre effects : it is linked to the presence of BTs, and accelerates time for anything it touches - with tons of implications for human beings, plants, cargo etc... It is only a cosmetic thing in Remnant though (unless mission makers do use rain as a trigger for Phantoms spawns, I guess).

• Like 3

Well, I'm not getting any closer to finishing that Prairie Fire mission, but for some reason that CDLC really gave me the bug again...

I'm working hard on a big project that I've been musing on for a while, and my recent frustrations with the engine limits while making "do not linger" gave me a pretty good idea on how the thing is going to play out. As I mentioned a few days ago, the save system in single player can easily crash or freeze if there's too much data to write - and the data volume to save can skyrocket very fast when you start editing very large amounts of objects. This means one has to be extra careful when making massive scripted edits to terrains - you may have noticed that saving in "do not linger" takes longer than usual.

Naturally, overcoming those limits is becoming an obsession, one that is called "Aradus" : a roguelike game mode for single player. \o/

Features : a "one life" persistent game on unrecognisable terrains. Think maps the size of Altis entirely razed. Not a single tree standing, every single structure destroyed, massive clutter and wrecks on roads etc...

Spoiler

109906913E9117B11587869B5109E74DC50363C1

88B93A27745EA0B94E0D3E3026B08E1DE97EE2B0

DF00E8C8416E50405071DCC375159D52AAA9E746

All packed in one module (if all goes well) and usable on any terrain.

There will be some limits though. Hide all the trees alone on Altis, and your game will crash if you try to save that - so the vanilla save system is out of question. Aradus will use its own thing : everything player & environment related will be saved (constantly or during specific events such as resting, dunno yet), and deleted if the player happens to die. And only that, pretty much. Everything else will rely on procedural generation and kick back in each time the mission is "restarted". From the player's perspective, and even though absolutely everything will have been generated anew, nothing will have changed. Each new character/save will have a random seed attached to it, and said seed will control all the procedural generation system. If you retrace your steps after resuming, the exact same building will be destroyed, the exact same bunch of dead grass will linger at the exact same spot on a road, etc. Technically, you would be "restarting" the mission each time, then the system restores all the player's attributes, along with that one saved seed that'll do all the rest.

Doing missions compatible with that approach will be tricky, though. Not sure yet how I'll handle that, but on the technical aspect, this is one fun project that will enable some crazy stuff, I reckon.

There's a good chance I'll demo this one on Patreon first, might take time to mature out.

• Like 3

Oh shit, totally forgot : with the Aradus update, Remnant will eradicate every single cricket on all vanilla maps.

I've been hearing those things for the past 8 years, this is non-negotiable. ninja.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Sweet music for my ears ^^ :headphones2:

In fact those ambient sounds just "sound" way out of place playing through the "do not linger" showcase.

Aradus sounds intriguing mate, good luck with that. 

• Like 2

I am playing around with such scenarios a lot in the editor and I found out that removing all kind of roadsigns etc that provide information about your location helps a lot with immersion making it even more mystical and let you feel also even more lost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sierra-G339 'Digger' said:

Man... That would make something like Tanoa sad... LMAO

Tanoa does feel strange with that treatment, but sadly that doesn't work too well for that terrain : all the sound controllers linked to trees remain present, and you can hear a ton of birds around you, happily chirping from invisible trees... :/ 

• Haha 1

Quick update on the Aradus project!

I've made solid progress these last few days - working on that thing is even more fun than I expected : the SP persistency system  works with the editor preview (well for now), it turns out to be a great feature for mission making. Being able to resume while letting all the scripts re-initialise does speed things up immensely : instead of having to restart your mission to preview your edits, you get to see them "live", pretty much.

The ground work for the environment aspects of the system is mostly done (that includes all the functions to transform terrains into complete wastelands); I'm beginning work on a procedural AI population system...

Current heatmap for Altis :

F666324D4E8DE5831CAF0145F8ED5281AB6EFA88

In red : locations excluded by the population system - usually cities in ruins or POI. Doesn't necessarily means that you won't see AI patrols in those locations, just that AI will never originate from them.

In blue : all the potential spots the population system can pick up as camps or insertion points. A number of them will be selected the first time a mission seed is generated, and spawn camps from which drones, scavs or rival teams will depart everyday to do random stuff (scavenging, patrols, supply runs), and come back to at night or during storms.

Just need to find a way to exclude those tiny bits of island. tired.png

• Like 4

Aradus, processed heatmap :

6D2F9C7B395E4B5BDFB71B3AE5A02601DD43C575

Those red dots are the final locations picked up by the AI population script, according to a set of parameters - in this example, relatively flat places far away from cities and villages, and at a reasonable distance from the sea, with 10% rate of occupation (that's around 400 locations on Altis). Nicely spread across the map, with some hot spots naturally forming here and there - I think it's looking good! troppuissant.png

I'm thinking that specific part of the system could be useful for the broader community as a basic configurable "location picker" for AI population - finding the best places to spawn a faction would be trivial (guerrilla factions in forest areas, law enforcement in cities, etc).

• Like 4

The OdraCam diaries.

Spoiler

SZRkXI5.jpg

Spoiler

ocfoJ9s.jpg

Spoiler

Y2rNOHd.jpg

Spoiler

FrpUAja.jpg

Spoiler

kNf3jxi.jpg

• Like 2

Sooooooooo, as you can see from my previous screenshots mate, I've combined Ravage, Remnant, and Half-Life 2... in Arma. :icon_biggrin:

I was wondering, is there a way to attach OdraCam from the debug console/Zeus somehow to the player.
I tried adding multiple classnames to the OdraCam module but no luck, nor adding multiple modules with one classname of each headgear didn't show results.

Also, is TimeFall for now just cosmetic? I love the grass and flowers rising to life and departing it in seconds.... something to ponder on as you sit under the shelter, waiting for TimeFall to end.