Mod version : 0.2.8 (2022.05.29)

rqlUYD3.jpeg

Remnant (formerly known as the MyST project) is a new mod inspired by Death Stranding, and aims to offer a fun and sandbox experience, with sci-fi and paranormal twists to the survival genre.

This is a work-in-progress endeavour, and both scope and releases will gradually evolve over time : very much like Ravage, it will start "small" and grow up... And hopefully provide fun and appealing ways to play Arma 3!

Premise

With this project, I want to take a slightly different route for the sandbox & survival style. Arma 3 is a great platform for survival & zombies scenarios, but its near sci-fi context is often at odds with our usual idea of what it will/should be like. The idea behind Remnant is to make the best of both worlds, and to propose an alternative take on the "end of the world", more grounded in science-fiction and technology (and a bit of paranormal too!).

Release Plan

Tools First : Remnant will be very similar to Ravage in design, providing ready-to-use modules for mission making. Those modules will include spawn systems, random objectives generators, light survival mechanics, but also less orthodox, immersion-based tools.

The Endgame : The mod includes demo missions to showcase new features, but the ultimate goal is to assemble an interesting premise with room for both "classic" Arma gameplay and new ways to challenge the players. Remnant will offer sandbox and objectives-based scenarios for both SP and MP.

Features

*The Phantoms

Spoiler

Forget about zombies, really... And brace yourself for a new foe : invisible most of the time and able to walk through walls, Phantoms are nightmarish entities haunting the Surface.

4461CFC9422BC62A74310A7A7B0712902A4A01C0

- Phantom Spawner Module : highly configurable, it can be sync'd with triggers to offer better control. Several modules of this type can be used, each one will handle its own Phantom population according to its settings. The module can be set up to create an ambient spawning system for free roaming scenarios, or to spawn Phantoms in specific conditions and locations.

- Phantom Settings Module : this is a global module used to define general parameters for Phantoms. Only one module of this type can be used, no need to synchronise it.

More Coming Soon...

Changelog

Spoiler

v0.2.8

Tweaks :
linked phantoms screams to their movements
reduced phantoms screams while immobile
reduced detection threshold for phantoms
vegetation clutter edits
removed several actions from window
adjusted phantoms chase state precision
phantoms are now more reactive to very close targets
added "aradus" addon for the upcoming showcase *

Fixes :
no more goggles on phantoms
fixed a potential memory leak

* for now it only adds hoods from the Scion Conflict mod to the NVG slot; if Scion Conflict isn't loaded, it has no effect

v0.2.71
Hotfix :
The Health Bar Display would make players invulnerable

v0.2.7
New :
Invisible phantoms will only reveal themselves if they're attacking
Phantoms will produce footsteps more frequently if they have a target
Phantoms will investigate their surroundings if they lose track of their target
It is now more difficult for phantoms to pinpoint their target's position
Minor tweaks to phantom sounds
Minor tweaks to timefall flowers spawn positioning
Minor edits to phantom code
Improved phantom footprints positioning
Player Health module : dedicated parameter for time acceleration

Fixes :
Phantoms investigative state wasn't working as intended
The Health Bar would show health status *prior* to inflicted damage
Small fix to the save system used in "do not linger"
Minor optimisation to pht_vischeck function
Fixed wrong materials on phantoms observed with thermal vision

v0.2.61
Hotfix :
Saving wasn't working in the "Do Not Linger" scenario

v0.2.6
New :
New module : Player Health System (dynamic display & rest mechanism)
Updated the "Do Not Linger" scenario with the new Player Health module
Updated "Do Not Linger" with advanced functionalities for "extreme" terrain modifications (players should experience a significant fps boost)
Disabled Birds Soundsets*
Added new "impactEffectsBlood" config for phantoms
Wounding phantoms will briefly slow them down
Added hit reaction animations to phantoms
Tweaks to vegetation clutter
New animations for the upcoming "Heavy Load System"**
Added a condition parameter to the Timefall module
Replaced "Timefall vegetation" array by a single "Timefall flower" model
The intensity of "Vegetation VFX" now scales with the intensity of Timefall
Increased max number of "Timefall vegetation" from 50 to 75
Optimisation : myst_fnc_sheltered is now used to validate positions before creating objects

Fixes :
Reduced interpolation speed on some pht anims
Timefall module : renamed "Vegetation SFX" to "Vegetation VFX"
Fixed "Timefall vegetation" not growing on dirt roads
Improvements to "Timefall vegetation" positionning
Changed default position of the Odracam for better visibility in 3rd person view

Notes :
* if you want actual birds in your game, EO's Ambient Birds is strongly recommended (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=919089146)
** The "Heavy Load System" is planned for the upcoming "Aradus" update

v0.2.5
New :
Added new footprints VFX to phantoms

Fixes :
Locality failsafe for phantoms init
Small optimisation to phantom AI

v0.2.4
Fixes :
_offset error in pht init
Phantoms initialize a bit faster
Optimisations to phantom AI
Optimisations to phantom killed sequence
Fixed a script error in a damage EH

v0.2.3
New :
Crickets have gone extinct! \o/
New Vrana Kitbag

v0.2.2
New :
New scripted backpack module with 5 presets*
New parameters to the Timefall module
Added Rain Splash option to the Timefall module**
Updated the latest showcase with the new module options

Fixes :
Tweaked the OdraCam sounds
The OdraCam is now disabled in vehicles
Fixed OdraCam issues when switching headgears
Tweaked VFX in "do not linger"

*NOTA BENE : possible Arma bug : attached objects seem to be affected by terrain grid/cell size (large values causing jerky movements)
**ALIAScartoons now credited in the Timefall module description for his rain splash VFX script

v0.2.1
New :
2 modules : Odracam & Timefall
New Showcase Scenario : "do not linger"

Fixes :
VFX related error
Movcheck error causing excedent VFX
Fixed undefined variables

v0.2.0
Fixes :
(performances) Invisible phantoms could affect framerate with DOOMS enabled.

v0.1.9
Fixes :
(performances) Capped simultaneous attacks on a given target.
Fixed a script error with the attack sequence.
Custom init defined in spawner module wasn't working correctly.

v0.1.8
Fixes :
All sound & particle emitters attached to phantoms are now properly deleted when needed.
Fixed a potential error with the "step VFX" function.

v0.1.7
New :
Phantoms can be distracted by thrown objects.
"A rock and a hard place" showcase : added chemlights to player's inventory.
"A rock and a hard place" showcase : remaining phantoms now disappear once outside the dark zone.

Fixes :
Phantoms can no longer identify instigators of damage induced by grenades or remote explosives.
Fixed "undefined _offset_n" variable.

v0.1.6
Fixes :
Variables broadcast when necessary.
Fixed undefined variables.
Variables clean-up upon phantom deletion.
Phantoms would sometimes focus on dead targets and ignore alive ones.
Phantoms prioritising of targets when fired upon.

v0.1.5
Fixed phantoms spawn process in MP.

v0.1.4
New :
Added a Loiter option to the Spawner module.

Fixes :
Vision Modes Support and DOOMS fixed and added back to multiplayer.
Phantoms will only reveal themselves if they're certain they've found a target.
Tweaked phantoms reaction when hit.
Minor fixes to phantoms AI functions timers.
Fixed : editor placed Phantoms with no waypoints felt compelled to continuously move forward.

v0.1.3
Vision Modes Support and DOOMS are disabled in MP until fixed.

v0.1.2

New :
Phantoms are available in 3den Editor (CIV/Remnant).
Adjusting their altitude determines how high above ground they float.
Phantoms will treat all waypoints, except "HOLD" and "GUARD", as "MOVE" waypoints.
"HOLD" and "GUARD" waypoints prevent Phantoms from wandering around.
The waypoint "SPEED" attribute will affect the Phantoms movements.
Added Zeus support for Phantoms (don't forget to add "Remnant" in the Manage Addons module).
Zeus can edit Phantoms altitude, direction and position.
The altitude of Zeus-placed waypoints will auto-adjust to allow Phantoms to complete them.
Added editor preview pictures for Phantoms.

Fixes :
Minor fix to the demo mission.

v0.1.1
Fixed locality issue with damage VFX.

License

88x31.png

Remnant Mod by Haleks is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available on request.
Using Remnant Mod on monetized servers is strictly forbidden.

You may not reupload this mod on Steam.

Special Thanks

This project would be stuck in a temporal loop if not for the help of my supporters on Patreon - thank you guys!

And of course a big shout out to the broader modding community for sharing knowledge and tips.

Download : Remnant v0.2.8

a356d7a366e83f307ac52b5a0e34b0540349b413.jpg

How can you support the Remnant Mod?

If you want to support me, you can donate any amount you want, no matter how modest it may be, or support me on Patreon.

become_a_patron_button.png

PP_logo_h_100x26.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Anything that references Death Stranding.....i'm all in. :thumb:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, snackynak said:

Will this include alien encounters from the contact dlc?

Although the premise has room for an alien origin story, I want this to be accessible to everyone - the mod won't use anything that's not part of the base platform.

You won't see alien entities in a typical MyST scenario, but it will be pretty easy to add them into the mix with the editor modules if you want to design your own mission. It should work pretty well in combination with my Invaders mod or my Contact mod. 😉 

• Like 4

I'm thinking the Phantoms as an adversary will satisfy the inevitable post Death Stranding Arma itch.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, EO said:

I'm thinking the Phantoms as an adversary will satisfy the inevitable post Death Stranding Arma itch.

Haha, yeah! In fact I'm probably going to tweak them to make them more "DS like" : the "stay still if you wanna see them" mechanic is just so brilliant! ❤️ 

• Like 2

Death and evaporation of a Phantom :

Spoiler

5ECEBB75A949852D1EA3613C28296E41498CCC78

94D11468088EE12DABF44E00BDC1E74C01B4EE1C

DCC976154178AFDDC1B01F0339D2790C034A0DFE

F5D1FA8319BE1521F6018711CB4F7EE23639ADD4

F5CAB3FD61CBEF0B97F181CC296CE6655B7285E0

• Like 9

Hey everyone!

A quick update on the project :

As hinted in another thread, I wanted to publish a first release for Christmas - but that ship has sailed...

I made some important design changes to the "Phantoms" and I think it's wiser to focus on getting them right before proceeding further. A lot of stuff has been tweaked since the last Patreon demos, especially audio fx, visual fx, and both the "attack" and "killed" sequences : overall vfx are less "flashy" and eye-straining - the previous versions were using intense lights during those sequences, which gets old rather fast and feels at odds with the ethereal nature of Phantoms.

The new attack sequence is also more in-line with Arma3 mechanics : older versions were using over-complicated scripts depending on the target being on foot or in a vehicle - it didn't work reliably and the result on screen was rather underwhelming... I won't reveal more details on the new one just yet, but let's just say I finally feel like I have something simple, flexible and efficient enough.

Short term plan is to release a final preview on Patreon before the public release : the preview will include updated functionalities and modules, and the public release will be shipped with a SP showcase focused on the Phantoms. From there, subsequent releases will add new features and associated modules, and most likely additional showcases for all of them.

See you in 2020 guys!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sounds good man. ^^

Have a good New Year mate, see ya in the next decade!  

• Thanks 1

And there we go, MyST Concept #3 is up on Patreon!

The Steam release should happen within a few weeks, once I have a nice SP showcase up and ready. 😉 

The next steps will most likely focus on Phantoms-related gear and interactions : new ways to detect or distract them, new weapons, defensive gear and (optional) tweaks to NVG-battery and O² consumption...

At the moment, any weapon will work on them, but expect that to change guys.

• Like 3

Wow, these guys have really evolved, they sound fantastic....and the "killed" FX are very cool indeed. Really looking forward to what's in store gear-wise, especially some kind of Phantom only weaponry. 

An awesome start to 2020 mate!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeez! these guys are really tough to conquer which makes me curious.....will the Phantom Spawn module eventually include some features similar to the Ambient Zombie module?....maybe like a Surge Damage Output (strength of surges delivered by Phantoms) 

btw, I love the work done on the Patchwork Survival Suit, that model/texture swap out is very cool indeed, I hope it stays. :thumb:

• Like 2

On 1/12/2020 at 10:02 PM, EO said:

Jeez! these guys are really tough to conquer which makes me curious.....will the Phantom Spawn module eventually include some features similar to the Ambient Zombie module?....maybe like a Surge Damage Output (strength of surges delivered by Phantoms) 

btw, I love the work done on the Patchwork Survival Suit, that model/texture swap out is very cool indeed, I hope it stays. :thumb:

Oh it stays buddy. ^^

Regarding additional parameters, some are planned indeed, like a custom coef applied to damage received by Phantoms (actually, the code is already in - I forgot to add that one to the settings module...).

Same goes for a Surge Output, although that one might be trickier to balance.

By the way guys, anyone has a good, 100% vanilla underground-type composition to recommend? 

• Like 1

Hello folks!

Some quick news about the project : I'm probably going to change plans regarding initial releases. The idea was to do incremental updates, each one introducing new tools as well as associated SP showcases, until the mod is complete feature-wise.

Right now I have a pretty clear vision on what tools/modules/features are going to be added along, but regarding "lore" and the environment in which I'm going to showcase the mod, I'm still considering several (many) possibilities - some of them involving drastic changes to existing content (especially terrains).

It might take me some time to make up my mind, and on the other hand I don't want to wait too long before sharing playable content... And since designing showcases can be time-consuming too, I'm probably going to push a first release with tools only. SP & MP showcases might be shipped in a separate addon, since they could potentially involve dependencies or unique config/graphic tweaks. That way modules and tools would be packed alone and remain usable for the broader community, with missions & eventual dependencies being optional.

• Like 6

I think the first set of features is finally ready for release! \o/

The first release focus exclusively on Phantoms and comes with 2 dedicated modules : a spawn system and a global settings module.

Informations about each parameter are detailed in the modules, but here's a quick overview for curious mission makers...

- The spawn module includes a lot of configurable options and is designed to be more flexible than what you might be used to with Ravage. Multiple modules of this type can be used : each one will handle its own "population" according to its own parameters. Modules can be synchronised with triggers too. In other words, one module could be used for ambient spawns, while others can be set to work under more specific circumstances (like spawning a load of phantoms around a mission objective at the worst moment). It is also a lot simpler to restrict spawns to certain regions for instance, or to create hot spots.

- The settings module defines global parameters related to Phantoms : how resilient they are, can they be detected with enhanced vision, what type of ammo can affect them etc... Only one module of this type can be used.

One thing to mention : the added flexibility requires some scripting if you want to take full advantage. The default values showcase simple bits of code, like waiting until it rains before Phantoms spawn, and the settings module shows how to set red tracers as special anti-phantom ammo; but in the end what can be achieved depends on how familiar one is with SQF. That being said, spawn modules can be sync'd with triggers (something I'm polishing atm), so mission makers used to work within 3den exclusively still have a lot of options.

ETA : next week-end, probably. It will be followed by a small update adding dedicated weapons to fight off phantoms - no guns, mostly special grenades and devices. 😉 

• Like 2

Will there be factions like Ravage had? it would be interesting seeing some ai desperately fighting the phantoms 

Sounding phantastic mate, bring them on!  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LykosMactire said:

Will there be factions like Ravage had? it would be interesting seeing some ai desperately fighting the phantoms 

No solid plan on that yet, but at the very least the SP scenarios will showcase interactions between humans and phantoms.

Whether or not a human AI spawn system will be available as a tool remains to be seen : I will have a clearer idea once special weapons and devices are done.

• Like 1

Hoping the spawn module can be flexible enough to spawn phantoms based on time of day/night. Be nice to have them only appear during nighttime....something like this?? 

Spoiler

[] spawn {
  while {true} do {
    waitUntil {sleep 30; dayTime > 21.5}; // 21:30
    _date = dateToNumber;
    < any code>;
   waitUntil {sleep 30; dateToNumber  > _date + 0.0027}; //  more than 23h later (but below 24h)
  }
};

Regarding special weapons/devices, remember a while back I asked if it were possible to use a flashlight as a form of weapon, à la Alan Wake, possibly difficult to achieve but would be super cool.

1 hour ago, EO said:

Hoping the spawn module can be flexible enough to spawn phantoms based on time of day/night. Be nice to have them only appear during nighttime....something like this?? 

Hide contents

[] spawn {
  while {true} do {
    waitUntil {sleep 30; dayTime > 21.5}; // 21:30
    _date = dateToNumber;
    < any code>;
   waitUntil {sleep 30; dateToNumber  > _date + 0.0027}; //  more than 23h later (but below 24h)
  }
};

Regarding special weapons/devices, remember a while back I asked if it were possible to use a flashlight as a form of weapon, à la Alan Wake, possibly difficult to achieve but would be super cool.

For that all you'll need is to set the spawner condition field like so (for instance) :

daytime > 21.5 && daytime < 6

Whatever condition you set is repeatedly evaluated, so you can pause the module at any time, any way you want.

I'm not sure about flashlights as weapons - detecting illuminated objects in Arma3 is going to be tricky I reckon... But I have other plans involving flashlights and Phantoms detection. 😉 

• Like 1

Nice!!....getting excited for this. :thumb:

• Like 1