Sign in to follow this  

I have free-look mapped to numpad 5 (I use numpad for movement), I switch often and very quickly in person, vehicles and aircraft between free look and non-free look. I suggest you remap freelook to a convenient key so you can quickly switch as soon as you enter an aircraft and even then, switch for a short time when flying straight to be able to look around.

I was going to suggest something basically similar to what joostsidy said... You can set  Freelook or Temporary Freelook to any key of your liking. 

For example.... My Mouse has three side buttons  The Forward button is set as [Temporary Zoom]   The middle button is [Temporary Freelook]   And the rear button is [Push To Talk] 
That way when I'm running or flying, (both of which I only do in 1st Person View), I can simply hold my middle mouse button and look around me; when I let go, my view snaps back to center.

Slightly unrelated:  I have been wondering if there is a way to enable 3rd Person View  and disable Freelook for only certain vehicle drivers.

e.g.  For my multiplayer game I've been working on, I'd like to make it 1st person only,  except for drivers of armored vehicles. Since being stuck to the interior view of a tank or APC can get boring after a while, I'd like to give only the driver the ability to go 3rd person but disable their ability to use freelook. (That way they can't park behind a wall and peek over to give call outs and what not.)

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm waiting on that option for a long time. I had to make some rather undesirable compromises regarding keybinding but a global setting to separate ground and air vehicles would be an optimal solution. As is, this option is somewhat useless.

Similarly, switch weapon key should be separated for infantry and vehicles, although that has been somewhat mitigated by option for each weapon class to have it's own key bound.

@squirrel0311 probably not, there is freeLook command but it only check, not controls whether it is active or not.

• Like 1