TroyT

Extracting PAA files

I'm trying to take a look at some of the textures that reside in some of the addon PBOs that don't get extracted to the project drive when extracting game data with BI Tools. Are the A3 paa files protected within their PBOs?  When unpacking any BI PBO all of the texture files end up with a size of 1 or 2 kb.  I've used all of the methods that I know of including PBO Manager, BankRev, DePBO, Eliteness, and ExtractPBO.  All 3rd party mods unpack fine.

5 hours ago, killzone_kid said:

What is the question? 

10 hours ago, TroyT said:

Are the A3 paa files protected within their PBOs? 

The fact that they all unpack basically empty is what puzzles me. 

You're doing something wrong, is all I or we can say. I don't have any problem with any of official PBOs.

25 minutes ago, POLPOX said:

You're doing something wrong, is all I or we can say. I don't have any problem with any of official PBOs.

Can you tell me which PBO tool you're using? I don't know what I could be doing wrong. I'm using the same procedures that I've done 1,001 times with everything except the official PBO files. Could you please confirm that the actual PAA files are OK on your side? The only variable that I can see is that I'm using my laptop (M17xr3) since I'm traveling ATM. I've used it a lot to do the same thing though. Also, all other PAA files are intact such as RHS, Exile, etc

Thanks

2 hours ago, TroyT said:

Can you tell me which PBO tool you're using?

I use PBO MANAGER tool if that is of any help, mate!

No problem unpacking PBO for me as well, including PAA files.

• Like 2

Ok, thanks. There may be an issue with my installation on my laptop. I use PBO Manager as well. 

** SOLVED **

For anyone else running into this problem, it appears to be some sort of difference between the files installed in the game directory vs. the files installed in a dedicated server directory.  I was opening the PBO files from our dedicated servers and was running into the problem.  I repeated this on 3 separate machines running Win Server 2016, win 10, and Win 7.  I used all of the available PBO tools on each machine.  It just dawned on me to try the game directory files and it works fine.  I use SteamCMD to install the server files but it seems odd that they should behave differently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2019 at 7:46 AM, TroyT said:

it appears to be some sort of difference between the files installed in the game directory vs. the files installed in a dedicated server directory

Correct. A dedicated server cannot render textures, thus it doesn't have any use for textures, thus why would BI include them in the dedicated server download and make it unnecessarily large.